News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

The original pics (just in case you are wondering why I selected these) came out of an old issue of LIFE magazine (31 July 1944). As promised, here is the attachment with the background info on each. This is the largest size I can post so bear with me if the writing is too small!!!

Here goes.....

Of course, some of them got promoted after the day the article was issued. Some also got awarded a few more ODMs too!

Jim :cheers:

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who cannot read the text.... I have managed to zoom in and can post larger pics.....enjoy the comments and do excuse the fact that they have a Western/American twist to them......

The score is presently as follows:

6 points - JimZ

4 points - Harvey

3 points - Hauptmann (Dan)

2 points - Valter

1 point - kapten_windu

Question 17 is next..... HARVEY.... this honour is yours.....

#14 gave me the hardest time, because I couldn't find any good pictures of him, although there were several other Marshals who looked somewhat similar (Chistiakov, Bogdanov, Yakubovsky, Malinovsky, etc.). I finally found one of him and another officer looking at a map and decided it was good enough to go with. The only ones I recognized right away were Koniev, Vasilevsky & Budennyi (who could forget that mustache!) - all the others I had to search out one by one.

Question #17:

My products are known throughout the world.

They have helped shape the modern world over the last half century.

They are used everywhere, from flags to vodka.

To many, I am a household name.

Who am I?

#14 gave me the hardest time, because I couldn't find any good pictures of him, although there were several other Marshals who looked somewhat similar (Chistiakov, Bogdanov, Yakubovsky, Malinovsky, etc.). I finally found one of him and another officer looking at a map and decided it was good enough to go with. The only ones I recognized right away were Koniev, Vasilevsky & Budennyi (who could forget that mustache!) - all the others I had to search out one by one.

Well it was a good revision of who's who :-)

I would not have dared to go for the same question with 16 lesser people as that would have made the question way too hard. At least the epualettes and the stars gave a good general direction.

And now to your next question......

Edited by JimZ

Question #17:

My products are known throughout the world.

They have helped shape the modern world over the last half century.

They are used everywhere, from flags to vodka.

To many, I am a household name.

Who am I?

Taking a stab here..... is it Kalashnikov or rather, more specifically, Avtomat Kalashnikov?

Its on a flag (hezbollah)

..... its on the label of vodka bottles...

...and heck, its also the shape of a very pricey vodka bottle!!

And its a common household item in the middle east and Africa!

Also, what other item could have influenced world history over the last 50 years, other than perhaps the drinking (and acting on) Vodka itself!!!

Am I close? :cheeky:

Well, you're definitely on the right track, and have listed the products.

But to be specific it's a WHO, not a WHAT.

Lol...well I did say "Kalashnikov" as in the surname: "Taking a stab here..... is it Kalashnikov or rather, more specifically, Avtomat Kalashnikov?" but then thought you wanted to focus on the specific product (i.e. AK) that is on the flags, vodka bottles or is a household item :whistle: rather than the person....sigh!

So if you wanted the full name Mikhail Timofeyevivh Kalashnikov....then I guess the point should actually be awarded to Gunner 1 :)

Of course, its Harvey who must confirm the point and in doing so, the Quiz can proceed.

PS... you could also have said that his products are also present on GMIC... :violent:

Edited by JimZ

Yes Jim, I'm afraid the point will have to go to Gunner. You were so very close!

Here's what I had in mind re. the vodka:

And I hadn't even thought of the Hezbollah flag, but was thinking of the one for Mozambique:

Jim: Sorry about taking that one away from you. Question #18

Like Alexey Petrovich Maresyev, who was the subject of an earlier question, I was also a double amputee, but I was neither a fighter ace nor a Hero of the Soviet Union (HSU) during the Great Patriotic War (GPW). I joined the Army before the GPW and served with the 51st Perekopsk Rifle Division. Later I served with the Red Banner Baltic Fleet (KBF) and was generally credited with three to four 'kills'. I ended the war as a Major in the KBF. Schools in Leningrad and Minsk are named for me.

Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

Well done Gunner and welcome to the roll of honour!! You gave the correct full answer so as I said before you deserved it. - as you deserve the honour of the next question :)

Juts as a general recap

The score is presently as follows:

6 points - JimZ

4 points - Harvey

3 points - Hauptmann (Dan)

2 points - Valter

1 point - kapten_windu

1 point - Gunner 1

Question 18 is being asked in the above post (216) by Gunner 1, our latest winner....

Agreed guys..... unless we're speaking of something like KGB or NKVD or HSU which are the common abbreviations, we should always try to give their full name in parenthesis.

I agree with Jim, newcomers like me aren't familiar with those abbreviation (even for HSU!)..

For example: At first I read HSU, I thought it is a name of gun or military vehicle as same as Tu (Tupolev), MiG (Mikoyan Gurevich), or AK (Avtomat Kalashnikov)..! :lol:

Windu

Just so everyone is on the same page; I received the following personal conversation from a member :

In your most recent question, you stated that the individual served in the Army before the Great Patriotic War, and then transferred to the Baltic Fleet. Assuming that the "kills" you refer to are ships (not people), wouldn't that make this individual a Navy officer? If so, are you sure he was a Major and not the equivalent naval rank (i.e., Captain, 3rd rank)?

. . . and my answer was:

He did serve in the army prior to the war and then transferred to the fleet. He 'kills' are not ships, nor people, and he was a Major, not a naval Captain, 3rd rank.

Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1

There hasn't been any action on this question so I think a photo of the subject and another clue would be helpful:

"During the war I was well known on the Leningrad front, but my country did not recognize me as a hero until more than a decade after the war."

Gunner 1

Edited by Gunner 1