News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could it be the Cruiser Varyag?

There was a movie made about her.

There is a monument to her in Scotland.

There have been several Russian/Soviet ships by that name all the way to the aircraft Carrier (bigger cousin?).

Not sure about songs and cartoons... and been trying to find out but it's been a long day, I'm very tired and going to fix and eat dinner and hit the bed. So figured I'd go for broke in case I've got it... if not will keep trying tomorrow if no one has figured it out by then.

Dan :cheers:

I'm a fusion of milleniums old tradition and modern times.

They called me "pride" and "beauty", but nobody really knows where my name comes from.

They never gave me a medal, but they errected me a monument.

I starred in film and cartoon movies, and there are many songs about me.

I was retired in 1950's, but my younger bigger cousins are still on duty.

What's my name? Where is my monument?

Calvary is an old tradition that has been replaced in modern times by the use of tanks - armored cavalry.

Many Soviet tank crews painted slogans on their tanks, so it's conceivable that one could have "pride" or "beauty" in their names.

There are many war memorials and monuments that feature tanks in them.

I don't know about songs and cartoons, but tanks have been used in many movies.

"Younger, bigger cousins" refers to newer, larger tanks.

You are a T-34 medium tank, and you have monuments in Hrodno, Belarus, Kaliningrad & Simferopol.

Good way of thinking, Harvey, closer than Gunner and Dan, but not the correct answer. Maybe this "name" wass a bit misleading, at least at first replies - it's not a unique, personal name, but a generic name.

I'll give another hint:

My great-great-great ... granduncles have been in service with ancient Egyptians, Asyrians, Persians...

I'll try, is it Katyusha? the Katyusha monument is located at 17 km of roads of life, outside the village Kornevo. On the spot where the monument was erected in the years of the siege of Leningrad was the battery, covered the airfield in the town of Corner Road of Life and of air raids. Architects Chulkevich L., Melnikov, A. Levenkov. Established in 1966.

It's a generic name, a song title, a name of a rocket too..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/katyusha.htm

http://visualrian.ru/ru/site/gallery/#501963

:cheers:

windu

This is Katyusha song.. :cheers:

Pears and apples blossomed on their branches.

Mist (was) creeping on the river.

Katyusha set out on the banks,

On the steep and lofty bank.

She was walking, singing a song

About a grey steppe eagle,

About her true love,

Whose letters she was keeping.

Oh you song! Little song of a maiden,

Head for the bright sun.

And reach for the soldier on the far-away border

Along with greetings from Katyusha.

Let him remember an ordinary girl,

And hear how she sings,

Let him preserve the native land,

Same as Katyusha preserves their love.

Unfortunately, neither Katyusha... Alexander the Great at Gaugamela didn't have to face a rocket launchers... But thanks for the link, I wasn't aware Katyusha has a monument too.

OK, if that was too difficult, another hint: My glory days were during Civil war.

Would have suggested the Battleship Potemkin with its monument in Odessa and own film..... but you said its not a ship....

...mmm and not a tank....

Thinking.....!

Jim :cheers:

... I didn't say I have a film all on my own... I just starred in films. And my moment of history was in 1905, not in Civil war...

Here's another one: I'm smaller then a tank, but I had KIND-OF similar role in some battles... Not the same, just remotely similar. Read all my hints carefully...

... I didn't say I have a film all on my own... I just starred in films. And my moment of history was in 1905, not in Civil war...

Here's another one: I'm smaller then a tank, but I had KIND-OF similar role in some battles... Not the same, just remotely similar. Read all my hints carefully...

SORRY!!! There was my lapsus - POTYOMKIN'S moment of history was in 1905, and MINE (the answer to the ?) was in Civil war (1917-1921/22). For some reason, I cannot edit my older post. I apologize.

So, to summarize the question:

I'm a fusion of milleniums old tradition and modern times.

They called me "pride" and "beauty", but nobody really knows where my name comes from; it's not a unique, personal name, but a generic name.

They never gave me a medal, but they errected me a monument.

I starred in film and cartoon movies, and there are many songs about me.

I was retired in 1950's, but my younger bigger cousins are still on duty.

What's my name? Where is my monument?

additional info:

I'm not one & only of my kind. I'm not ship, neither tank. I'm smaller then a tank, but I had KIND-OF similar role in some battles... Not the same, just remotely similar.

My great-great-great ... granduncles have been in service with ancient Egyptians, Asyrians, Persians.

My glory days were during Civil war (1917-1921/22).

Well, the only "weapons" in use by ancient civilisations and the modern army are swords and cavalry units. So I'd say we're speaking of horse cavalry divisions, retained by the Soviet army until 1955. Cossack units were in fact used to keep "peace" and supress uprisings in the 1905 revolution.

I'd half propose the 1st Cavalry Army led by Budyonny, the monument of which is in Ukraine (Lviv Oblast). Its probably not it though....although perhaps I might just be on the right track.

And as Harvey mentioned....tanks took over as the modern cavalry....

Jim :cheers: