News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal 25 Years of the MPR

Bob

Type 1 Var 1 - thick numbers - I have 436 (range observed: 159 - 8,904)

Type 1 Var 2 - slim numbers - I have 16,904 (range observed: 10,117 - 25,161)

Type 2 Var 1 - enamel / guilding - for foreigners (Battushig mentions this one doesn't formally exists; he also was surprised to see it in Herfurth)

Note:

- the original ribbon from '46-'61

Guest Rick Research

Ooo :love: pretty :love: enamel :love: ribbon :love: bars :love: oooo :love:

Excessively fussy designs though. Were these always worn as singles, or can they be found mounted in rows?

I don't collect Mongolian... but I might collect Mongolian reeeebon barrrrz.

What is the reason for the design difference in the two types of 1946 awards? Maybe the original die wore out, and higher number ones werre all (?) from a second die? Or were these issued over a long period of time?

Any award documents with dates to match up with the numbers? (I wonder now about the numbered 1961 40th anniversary of the republic medals as well... a new thread subject?)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 months later...

Ok, just to summarize what we think we know on terminology and numbers:

Type 1 (broad numbers); Low = 159/High = 9116

Type 2 (narrow numbers); Low = 10327/High = 20008

Type 3 (for foreigners, on pentagonal suspension); Low = ??/High = ??

Corrections, please.

• 1 year later...

Ok, just to summarize what we think we know on terminology and numbers:

Type 1 (broad numbers); Low = 159/High = 9116

Type 2 (narrow numbers); Low = 10327/High = 20008

Type 3 (for foreigners, on pentagonal suspension); Low = ??/High = ??

Corrections, please.

Anyone ever come up with new insight on the type 3? Have one offered for sale to me and am very tempted.

Anyone ever come up with new insight on the type 3? Have one offered for sale to me and am very tempted.

Difficult. Medals are available, ribbon is available, and the late-Soviet aluminum mounts are available. Use your imagination. If you are happy with the source . . . ???

Difficult. Medals are available, ribbon is available, and the late-Soviet aluminum mounts are available. Use your imagination. If you are happy with the source . . . ???

This is indeed the challenge - although based on photographs the quality looks quite good and it is interesting to note the lack of a serial number without any real damage (although there are ways around this I guess). The seller has a vast collection of Mongolian items and am also discussing some other interesting pieces. Fantasy piece or real, that's an interesting question. Will see if the price is right.

:jumping::jumping:

Wow ! Thats the first one I ever seen of the Type 3! Have anybody ever senn a pic of this type in wearing?

I saw it listed in the new mongolian book.

Thanks for showing it Bob, now I have to go and get three more jobs :rolleyes: just to get 4K $ .......

Christer

• 10 months later...

well, the foreign one is on ebay now and the seller (same as who offered it to me) has dropped the price (starting bid) to 900 Euro...

the pics may be interesting

thoughts?

• 5 months later...
    • 6 months later...

To be clear, I do not own the "foreign" one.

However, and this will create some excitement among us Mongolia freaks, I have just been in contact with another Mongolia collector who ALSO has one of those foreign ones. Oh, and he bought it in Eastern Europe... roughly 35 years ago!!! Sounds to me like the benefit of the doubt should be on it being real. He mentioned the enamel looks high quality and aged.

:jumping:

• 4 weeks later...

Took the risk, quality is comparable with a regular one. And the enamel is quite well done (very smooth on the surface for instance where i'd have expected a bump from orange to the XXV letters).

thick XXV, just like in the pics i have from another collector who has one of these "foreign" ones in his collection

Edited by Bob