News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Welcome To Our Newest Sub-Forum

Guest Rick Research

Guest Rick Research

Thanks once again to Chairman Nick for "building it!" :cheers: And to our far off inspiration, Dr. A. Battushig, whose 2005 "Mongolian Orders, Medals & Badges" has spurred what was one of the most obscure and mysterious areas of award collecting to become a systematic and very much GLOBAL network of enthusiastic research collectors.

I have been surprised at the growing interest in Mongolian awards. Surely one reason is a consistent beauty of design over long decades that very few other countries can match. Another reason has got to be the sheer excitement of collecting something fresh and new, with discoveries being made-- and shared-- every day. There is always something interesting going on here--

:beer: more, more, more!!!!

Hi Rick,

Super news!!! Thanks to Nick and you!!! :jumping:

You could have added that Mongolian awards are also attractive because they have a lot of common points with their Soviet brothers :

* Done in precious metals, real jewels,

* Serial Numbered, so datable and researchable,

* Many of them produced in the Soviet mints,

* Today less expensive than the Soviet ones.

I personnaly don't collect them, even if they interest me a lot. But, I remember a few years ago, when the Soviet ones were all except expensive (not the skyrocketing prices of today...) that the Mongolian ones were "given"!!!

A number of Soviet orders collectors have now moved towards them, because of their incredible high prices. And, now the Mongolian orders prices will increase!!!

Ch.

I am very glad to see this. We have, collectively, started to weave together some very good post-Battushig information on Mongol awards. Now we can do so all in one place, in a corner where we can keep out thoughts straight(er) -- except regarding the Order of the Polar Star where atraight thoughts are elusive. Thanks to the Big Boss for doing this and thanks to us for making it necessary!

• 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Bat's book is back in stock with Igor. If you want one, you better get it fast! (I have three copies!)

What, one for different rooms in the house? Or you want one for during the week, one for weekends... and one for vacations? :P

Bat's book is back in stock with Igor. If you want one, you better get it fast! (I have three copies!)

Ed,

Did you notice he raised the price on $11.00, from the previous $48.00 to $59.00?

I also (still) have 3 copies. My own (signed and numbered 087) for daily use, and the other two remaining as part of a stock I had for sale (unsigned and unnumbered). I guess I'll keep one of these on the shelf (to have a mint copy as mine starts showing some wear) and the other one is still available for sale.

Dolf

Ed,

Did you notice he raised the price on $11.00, from the previous $48.00 to $59.00?

I also (still) have 3 copies. My own (signed and numbered 087) for daily use, and the other two remaining as part of a stock I had for sale (unsigned and unnumbered). I guess I'll keep one of these on the shelf (to have a mint copy as mine starts showing some wear) and the other one is still available for sale.

Dolf

I should probably get my self another copy as mine has seen better days too.

It's a shame 'cause it has a nice inscription from Dr.B to my brother and is numbered 45.

$59 is still not bad for the only ref. on my favourite subject!! :beer:

JC

Edited by fjcp

It's a shame 'cause it has a nice inscription from Dr.B to my brother and is numbered 45.

JC

Actually there is one other good reference source... in fact, you're looking at it right now :P:beer:

JC

Well, if you add the + $30.00 for "ANY shipments outside USA" which is that dealer's policy... I wouldn't call it cheap :(

Dolf

• 1 year later...

A new (to me) source, a 1990 52-page paperback booklet by the well known Victorov-Orlov. It seems to be based on the Russian version of the 1977 "blue book" in Mongolian, though there also seems to be some new information too. As it is in Russian, I can't be completely sure :P .

Guest Rick Research

From what I have seen of that, it seems to be an accurate description of the awards, but with extremely detailed measurements rather than statutory or award numbers information.

Looking at it more, Rick (and, as you know, I am TOTALLY language-challenged), I would agree with your characterization of the book: narrow numismatic information, but of limited broader phaleristic interest. Still, part of the bibliography corpus, and I am glad to have captured it.

• 1 month later...

Just in from UB (thanks to A Friend of Us All). Do we hear the rumble of a (another) revolution starting up?

Soft-cover, 734 pages, 21 x 29.2 cm, no ISBN (does this shock anyone?!)

Detailed posts to follow on other threads.

Knowing ZERO Mongolian (at least it is in Cyrillic :jumping: ) such that the diffrence doesn't matter, this is a very hard book to use., The breaks between the awards are NOT clear and a numbering system has been applied that totally defies rational logic. It seems to have NOTHING top do with award numbering.

And the photos shown are sub-newsprint quaity -- but they ARE photos?!?!

:banger:

OK, OK, calm down . . . this is MONGOLIA after all.

I still struggle and await wise guidance from cold UB. Comrade Choibalsan told us to struggle and seek guidance . . . right . . . ????

The Sky Blue Bible??????????????????

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give you an idea what is in the book, a rough table of contents:

Hero - p. 4 - 58 recipients

Labor Hero - p. 22 - 381 recipients

Title of "People's" - p. 139 - 97 recipients

Title of Merit - p. 182 - 1662 recipients

Cosmonaut Badge - p. 712 - 2 recipients

Honorary Freeman - p. 714 - 1 recipient (of course)

State Prize (etc.) - p. 715 - 254 recipients

Thanks - once I get my copy I'll be happy to have a look at the kind of data that appears to be present. If any other people are then interested in an "adopt a section for translation" initiative, I'd be happy to coordinate and consolidate and also obviously financially cover for a reasonable share of the translation. This obviously doesn't have to be a one go thing and can be spread over time.

Taking Labor Hero (probably the one with most interest: numbered awards with reasonable amount of them in collectors hands incl. some documented and actual background info on recipients in the book):

- 117 pages in total

- 10 people 12 pages per person

- 10 USD per page = 120 USD per person

I'd be more than happy to fork up 120 USD and then get in return eventually translated bios of the FULL list of Labor Heros.

Anyone willing to join, PM me.

Anything in the book's Labor Hero section with a nr 44?

Oops - I was going to point to the New Jersey website and say that it would be interesting as we'd be able to put perhaps some kind of story behind that Soyombo... but it's gone!

Somebody probably thought: better get it now before it's a 10K item!

• 2 months later...