News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Welcome To Our Newest Sub-Forum

Guest Rick Research

• 3 months later...

2.5 years :cheers:

Mongolian awards exploded onto the collecting scene but have gone relatively quiet since then (due to a lack of supply and/or researchability) but this forum sure has made it a nice ride sofar! :jumping:

• 9 months later...

For some reason, unknown to me, I have been demoted as moderator of this forum (and others).

I am very proud of what we have accomplished here and I wish all of you the very best in extending our knowledge of Mongolian awards.

I hope to stay in touch with you by some means.

For some reason, unknown to me, I have been demoted as moderator of this forum (and others).

I am very proud of what we have accomplished here and I wish all of you the very best in extending our knowledge of Mongolian awards.

I hope to stay in touch with you by some means.

Don't go too far away, Ed.

There is still much to learn and much to share.

Best regards

Jan

Don't go too far away, Ed.

There is still much to learn and much to share.

Best regards

Jan

Yes Ed, don't even think about going anywhere else!!! :unsure:

I must add that I find this rather unexpected. You've contributed so much to this field....

JC

• 5 months later...

Almost 4 (!!!) years of the mongolia forum!

From the early rush to discovering / figuring out new types to subsequent deeper understand and now... almost dead silence.

Last couple of weeks there seems to be a slight surge of stuff for sale on ebay again but the recession hasn't really pulled out that much more out of Mongolia (i would have expected that to happen, food on the table becoming more relevant than "grandpa's old awards" unfortunately)... so it seems the west (if not Russia!) has already gotten hold of a lot.

Personally, i'm considering reducing the size of my collection (getting rid of all the "types" that I chased early on and focussing on items / groups / documents which I find interesting for other reasons than just being another sub-variation to complete all sub-variations in shoe box). I'm wondering what's next for this forum (and Mongolia collecting) though...

* is Dr B working on a new book?

* how often has the carrot of "research" been held in front of us and gotten us all excited?

* will there come a point (as in soviet collecting) where items start shifting back to Mongolia from collections in the west?

* what'll happen with this forum?

just some random thoughts... hope i'm not the only one still checking in here on occasion:(

I consider myself a semi-serious collector of Mongolian awards; it's a side step from my main collecting field, Soviet awards. I think I have a couple dozen Mongolian awards. They are really nice, but when you are purchasing your tenth Polar Star, Polar Stars aren't really new and interesting anymore. They aren't researchable and the lack of really in depth reference works in an accessible language also doesn't help to sparkle interest. And despite the global economic situation they aren't widely available for sale either. Take Soviet Red Stars for example: entire books have been written about this particular order and they can be researched (because of these two factors I have boxes full of them but they won't bore me), and furthermore there are numerous variations, they are widely available for sale, and they are still affordable. All these factors aren't applicable to Mongolian awards and only an improvement of one of these will lead to breathing more life into this subforum.

Does anyone have a copy or access to Dr Battushigs book? Is there any info or illustrations of the 1936-44 spearhead/bastion sleeve (red?) patches? Just wonndering if "other ranks" had them or perhaps the diamomd patches,(unless these were greatcoat patches).Dave.