News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of St, Michael and St. George C.M.G. - Help

Hi,

I do not collect British Orders, however recently I aquired this Order of ST.Michael and St. George.

The Dealer stated that it is from around 1930 period, however he was not sure.

The Order came without box/case and ribbon. It is reduced size -45 mm in diemeter.

Can you identify the period?

Can you give me any information where I can get box/case and, if possible, original ribbon

Regards

Graf

An attractive piece with apparently undamaged enamel [often a problem, especially with the centers]. Judging by the suspension above the crown, your badge was not one of those converted from breast wear to neck wear. The crown type is another good 'date of manufacture' marker. Though yours appears British-made, some 45mm size insignia were made in France. Your piece may be Garrard-made. Contemporary cases and ribbon [silk ribband!] may be found in auctions both on-line & in person. Dealers may also have old stock pieces.

http://www.ribbonssh.../international/ offers modern made CMG neck ribbon in the wide size at a reasonable price. British dealers sell the same thing plus the narrow 'under collar' ribbon also used with miniatures. Spinks or Cleave http://www.cleave.com may be useful for a modern case & ribbon, though many collectors report 'not useful' experiences with both.

Peter Galloway's 2006 The Order of St. Michael and St. George provides full details & illustrations of the Order's history and insignia changes. The OMSA library, co-located with the ANS library, has a copy as do a few major metropolitian libraries. A copy should be available through inter-library loan if one is not to hand.

Thank you for the comments and information.

I did buy a wide ribbon from ribbonshop international although it is syntetic silk However it is OK and for reasonable price.

I will try my luck with Spinks or Cleave. for a box and original ribbon.

Regards

Graf

• 9 years later...

Ideal that you found a ribbon, case and mini!   Is the case marked Garrard, Spink or ...?  

From time to time issued cravats [both narrow, wide and, very rarely, 55 mm - 2 1/8 inch wide] appear on UK ebay or in dealer stock.  

Here are a couple of pictures from my collection....... 

GRAND COMMANDER ORDER OF THE ORDER OF ST. MICHAEL AND ST. GEORGE.

There is an old joke about the way some people look towards the various grades.....

C.M.G. (COMMANDER)  Actually means:

CALL ME GOD

K.C.M.G.  (KNIGHT COMMANDER)

KINDLY CALL ME GOD

G.C.M. G.  (GRAND COMMANDER)

GOD CALLS ME GOD  

Mike

KNIGHT 008.jpg

KNIGHT 002.jpg

Edited by QSAMIKE

20 hours ago, QSAMIKE said:

There is an old joke about the way some people look towards the various grades.....

C.M.G. (COMMANDER)  Actually means:

CALL ME GOD

K.C.M.G.  (KNIGHT COMMANDER)

KINDLY CALL ME GOD

G.C.M. G.  (GRAND COMMANDER)

GOD CALLS ME GOD  

Brilliant  ???

Edited by Herman

On 13/06/2021 at 20:28, Herman said:

Here's a quote from"yes prime minister"

Bernard Woolley: In the service, CMG stands for Call Me God. And KCMG for Kindly Call Me God.
    Hacker: What does GCMG stand for?
    Bernard: God Calls Me God

Edited by paddywhack

• 2 months later...