News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3 Purple hearts group...

VerKuilen Ager Is getting me some Americal patches to complete the dispaly.

its kinda far from Boer war and EK docs, but I always wanted a nice purple heart group and this has 2 named Purple hearts and is a good vietnam one. I grew up on Vietnam movies so it all kinda fits....

Its going to be hard explaining this to my german collector friends who are sometimes POd that I am selling off my German stuff "cos I need the money for other things"... then I go and buy this ;-)

Guest Rick Research

Chris: Where I come from, I could tell you how A Certain Somebody got three Purple Hearts without ever being wounded in enemy action at all... but that would be "political." :rolleyes::ninja::cheeky::cheers:

However, YOUR guy only claimed--and wore ONE-- there are no oakleaves on the ribbon. So however he ended up GETTING multiple duplicates, the ribbon bar "reads" ONE wound.

Chris: Where I come from, I could tell you how A Certain Somebody got three Purple Hearts without ever being wounded in enemy action at all... but that would be "political." :rolleyes::ninja::cheeky::cheers:

However, YOUR guy only claimed--and wore ONE-- there are no oakleaves on the ribbon. So however he ended up GETTING multiple duplicates, the ribbon bar "reads" ONE wound.

Nope... his wound was kosher... took some AK rounds on 2 July 1969....

Have to run, will post more details later.

best

Chris

I've had Vietnam groups with 3 Purple Hearts for one wound. The first came out of the initial hospital that treated him (usually issued unnamed), the second out of the General Hospital that next handled him (named PH) and the third came at discharge because of wounds (named PH).

Now that's interesting. Any luck tracking/researching this soldier?

Hi,

there are some docs with the group, some notes made by the gus who got it from the vet.

But the best link is here

http://www.hill4-11.org/indexframes-1.html

There is even a photo album for his unit.

The guy who runs the site kindly sent me the following about the day he was wounded.... Maine was in E-Troop.

On 2 July 1969 E Troop 1st Cav and A Company engaged an UNSEF (unknown size enemy force) at BS841294 resulting in 15 NVA killed, 3 RPG's and 4 AK-47's were captured. Documents showed them to be a part of the 2nd MF Regt 3rd NVA Div. As a result of these Actions, SSGT Joseph H. Kelly and SGT Bobby L. McCoy were killed. Also on 2 July 1969 B Company engaged an estimated reinforced NVA Company at BS8426 and after a 5 hour battle, 20 NVA were KIA and 4 individual and 4 crew served weapons were found.

Ah, jeez, Chris. Did you have to say that? I already feel older than dirt.

Chuck

Oh yeah? Well think how old I feel !!!! Just saw on TV yesterday... the first Guns n Roses album ........ WAS RELEASED 20 YEARS AGO !!!! I remember it like yesterday....Even we young guys are getting old :blush:

Oh yeah? Well think how old I feel !!!! Just saw on TV yesterday... the first Guns n Roses album ........ WAS RELEASED 20 YEARS AGO !!!! I remember it like yesterday....Even we young guys are getting old :blush:

I feel your pain. The first Grateful Dead album was released 40 years ago :speechless:

• 4 weeks later...