News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sorry for the funny header, this post got away from me before I was finished. Gents (ladies not excluded), I'm looking for information and, if possible, a picture of Otto Graf zu Castell-Castell, longtime Flügelajutant of HM the king of Bavaria.

Set out below is the information I have compiled from various copies of the Bavarian Militärhandbuch, including the 1916 version. I'd appreciate it if someone could fill in the missing details. As said, any further information you may be able to provuide is also highly appreciated, as is a picture.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Sandro

Otto Graf zu Castell-Castell

Geburtsjahr: 1868

Gestorben: [*]

Dienstgrad Patent

Offiziersreife: 1888

Leutnant: 15. Februar 1889

Oberleutnant: 7. November 1896

Hauptmann: 28. Oktober 1901

Major: 28. Oktober 1908

Oberstleutnant: 22. Februar 1913

Oberst: [*]

Generalmajor ausser Dienst: [*]

Stellenbesatzung

1900 1. Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Wilhelm II, könig von Preussen

1903 – 1918 Flügeladjutant S.M. des Königs

Orden und Ehrenzeichen (laut Angabe in das Militärhandbuch des Kgr. Bayerns 1916, S. 2)

Bayern Militär Verdienstorden, Offizierskreuz mit Schwertern

Bayern Militär Verdienstorden 4. Klasse

Bayern Verdienstorden vom heiligen Michael, Offizierskreuz

Bayern Prinzregent Luitpoldmedaille mit der Krone in Gold

Bayern Jubileumsmedaille mit der Krone

Bayern Dienstauszeichnungskreuz der 2. Klasse (XXIV Jahren)

Baden Orden vom Zähringer Löwen, Komturkreuz mit Schwertern

Braunschweig Orden Heinrich des Löwen, Komturkreuz

Hessen Orden Philips des Grossmüthigen, Komturkreuz

Hohenzollern Hohenzollern Hausorden, Ehrenkomturkreuz mit Schwertern

Mecklenburg Greiffenorden, Offizierskreuz

Oldenburg Hausorden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse

Preussen Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

Preussen Rote Adlerorden 3. Klasse mit der Krone

Preussen Kronenorden 4. Klasse

Preussen Johanitterorden, Kreuz der Ehrenritter

Sachsen Albrechtorden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse

Sachsen Weimar Orden der Wachsamkeit oder des weissen Falcken, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse

Sächsische Herzogtümer Sachsen-Ernestinischer Hausorden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse

Württemberg Friedrichsorden, Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse

Lüxemburg Orden der Eichenkrone, Offizierskreuz

Österreich Leopoldsorden, Komturkreuz

Österreich Orden der eiserne Krone, Komturkreuz

Österreich Franz Josefsorden, Komturkreuz mit der Stern

Österreich Militär Verdienstorden, Komturkreuz mit Krigsdekoration

Spanien Orden Isaballa la Catolica, Komturkreuz 2. Klasse

Spanien Militär Verdienstorden 2. Klasse

Edited by GdC26

Sandro,

He was born 12.05.1868 in Castell (Unterfranken) and died 08.07.1939 in Hochburg-Ach. He was married to Amalie Prinzessin zu Löwenstein-Wertheim-Freudenberg. After attending Gymnasium, he voluntarily joined the 1. Ulan. R. as a Fähnrich on 19.08.1886. He became Adjutant of the IV. Armee Insp. on 19.09.1900. He was promoted Oberst on 11.10.1914 and Gen. Maj. in 1918 (sorry, no exact date).

Andy

Ehrenkreuz

Also: Bayern: Verdienst-Orden der Bayerischen Krone, Ritterkreuz.

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected on the first, and must have missed the second.

Any sign von Castell-Castell was awarded an EK 1, as Charles has suggested?

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected on the first, and must have missed the second.

Any sign von Castell-Castell was awarded an EK 1, as Charles has suggested?

No idea. The 1918 Bavarian Army seniority list only shows Bavarian decorations and the Militär-Wochenblatt stopped listing Bavarian EKs sometime in 1917, so many late war awards are missing. There is no Kriegsrangliste for Castell-Castell at Ancestry.com .

To give you an idea of why they stopped listing the lower awards, here are the wartime volumes of the Verordnungsblatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums. The volume for the second half of 1916 is possibly the thickest book I have ever seen.

No idea. The 1918 Bavarian Army seniority list only shows Bavarian decorations and the Militär-Wochenblatt stopped listing Bavarian EKs sometime in 1917, so many late war awards are missing. There is no Kriegsrangliste for Castell-Castell at Ancestry.com .

To give you an idea of why they stopped listing the lower awards, here are the wartime volumes of the Verordnungsblatt des Königlich bayerischen Kriegsministeriums. The volume for the second half of 1916 is possibly the thickest book I have ever seen.

Wow ..... You've got to hand it to the German's (of whatever state), they are thorough administrators. Even if you would think that by 1917, they'd have other things to worry about. Anyway, it looks like I'll need to update my library with a copy of the 1918 seniority list.

Thanks Dave, this has been really valuable input.

Personally, I doubt von Castell-Castell, who served as a Flügeladjutant to the King of Bavaria throughout the war, received an EKI - diplomatic awards, yes, plenty, as is evidenced by the list above. But I'm not sure why a foreign state (Prussia) would grace him with what at the time was seen as a fairly high award for personal bravery.

Anyway, I stand to be corrected.

Regards,

Sandro

• 9 months later...

Sandro, I didn't find anything showing the EKI. I was mistaken on what I remembered from researching this man when his uniform came up for sale last year, or many the year before.

Edited by ccj

• 2 months later...

Here's a tiny pic.

With a lot of the Bavarian Offiziere à la suite der Armee, the names end with a Erl. or D. What does that mean?

Otto had his entry as Graf zu Castell-Castell Erl.

Cheers

Elwyn

Many thanks, Gents, much appreciated.

Freiherr, should you decide to part with that pic then please let me know, small as it is I'll happily buy it from you.

Cheers,

Sandro

Ah... Erl must be Erlaucht, D must be Durchlaucht.. Oops you replied already.

I can send you the whole pic I downloaded from the internet at some point. I don't own any pics like you guys do. I am just an information addict.

Elwyn

Edited by freiherr

So we see the big wigs. FlüAdj Graf zu C-C as stated, der König, Militärbevollmächtigter in Berlin Karl FrHr Nagel zu Aichberg, Kriegsminsiter Otto FrHr Kreß v Kressenstein, GenAdj Wilhelm Walter v Walderstötten

Cheers

Elwyn

• 5 years later...

Charles,

Most likely. Graf Castell-Castell was promoted to Generalmajor on 28 May 1918, Patent of 28.5.18 (4) but was not elevated to an appointment as General à la suite or General-Adjutant and retired still in the appointment of a Flügel-Adjutant with Major-General's rank on 28 December 1918. I am not aware of any other individuals in that rank serving as Flügeladjutanten at this period.

Regards

Glenn

Are these the correct collar tabs? I thought the tabs on the 1910 type tunic were longer.

Wasn’t Wilhelm Freiherr von Leonrod also an adjutant?

Edited by ccj

Charles, 

Freiherr von Leonrod was listed as an "Offizier à la suite der Armee" with the uniform of a Flügel-Adjutant. He was a senior official at the court of the Bavarian King. His final rank was that of an Oberst (11.10.14). He was appointed as a Flügeladjutant to King Ludwig on 23 December 1912, having previously been the then Prince Ludwig's personal adjutant. He retired from active service on 12 June 1913 and was appointed à la suite der Armee with his previous uniform.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you Glenn, 

I'm always amazed at your knowledge and resources. This topic is extremely confusing to me. If Leonrod’s tunic is of a Flugaladjutant then  I assume a Flugeladjutant tunic should have breast pockets and Costell-Costell’s doesn’t. The photo of Costello above shows him wearing a tunic exactly like Leonrod.

Another tunic of Costell Weitze once sold. I understand the insignia is correct for his position.

to clarify, below is a M16 Bluse, no Kleiner Rock or litewka..

B1C2E0AD-821E-4F2F-936C-37088BE0DC70.jpeg.4453e45ea5c2e278c534edbe610ab41d.jpeg

Edited by ccj