News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of Honour

Marcus H

I just thought I'd show some pic's of one of my Medals of Honour.

I don't think this is the correct box for this one, its a large black case, but I think it should have the designation on it. Anyone more conversed on these medals have any idea to what style of boxes they came in through the decades ? Could this be correct perhaps, I know the more recent versions that were available for sale come in desigantion titled boxes.

It's an unissued 1970/80's medal which I purchased in the late 1980's.

The scanner is playing up, so these aren't the best pic's.

Kr

Marcus

That box I would hazzard at being earlier, is it a wooden one or aluminum i.e in the lid structure.

This is perhaps a 1940/50's construction of the box, and like most medals in this paticular case style would have been used into the Vietnam era and post.

The more modern made examples of perhaps my medals period even are larger and more square, an example of such can be seen on the Liverpool Medals site (dealer)

I think I can assume this box is incorrect for mine. Do you have the medal for the box too ?

Ed,

I bought this in the late 1980's, they were very common to find then, in fact not so hard in Europe to find today they're just peaking the ?1000 mark now :speechless1: which is absurd. I don't think they were illgal then to buy or trade either in the USA were they ?

If I gave it to you for free as gift you can own one though :lol: It's crazy you can purchase Purple Hearts and other distinguished awards, groupings of a mans life with all nature of awards, but an unissued MoH made 'yesterday', you can't !!

It's beyond me in sense and reason if honest.

That box I would hazzard at being earlier, is it a wooden one or aluminum i.e in the lid structure.

Marcus,

The box is a wooden one. It came with the rosette and ribbon bar but no medal (had to find one, similar to the one in your picture, elsewhere ...).

Obviously never awarded. Probably one of those illegal maunfacturer "escapees"?

But, even, "as-is", illegal for a US citizen to own. :angry:

Ed:

Actually, you can legally own one, and legally buy one.

It's illegal to sell (or any other manner part with it for profit including trade) one.

Dave

Marcus,

The box is a wooden one. It came with the rosette and ribbon bar but no medal (had to find one, similar to the one in your picture, elsewhere ...).

Interestingly, the rosette is harder to find than any other piece of MOH memorabilia. The reason for this is that the recipients were only issued one and they rarely ever bought a second. Whereas most had any number of ribbons (they were available for $4-$5 each from most dealers until the sale of them was banned) and there were plenty of unnamed medals around (normally around $400 each) but not a lot of rosettes. The rosette I have in my collection came from an actual MOH recipient (I also have his neck cravats and several of his worn ribbons), and that's the only one I've ever had the chance to get my hands on.

Dave

Interestingly, the rosette is harder to find than any other piece of MOH memorabilia.

Thanks Dave, very interesting bit of information ! Makes me even more appreciative than I already was when receiving the box and its contents as a gift from a buddy in Chicago ! Think I'll buy him a few more beers next time he and I meet up :P

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly, the rosette is harder to find than any other piece of MOH memorabilia. The reason for this is that the recipients were only issued one and they rarely ever bought a second. Whereas most had any number of ribbons (they were available for $4-$5 each from most dealers until the sale of them was banned) and there were plenty of unnamed medals around (normally around $400 each) but not a lot of rosettes. The rosette I have in my collection came from an actual MOH recipient (I also have his neck cravats and several of his worn ribbons), and that's the only one I've ever had the chance to get my hands on.

Dave

Dave - Fascinating, I had no idea how hard the MOH rosette was to find. I happened upon my MOH rosette at the military clothing sales store at Offutt Air Force base in the early 80s. It and the MOH ribbons were just hanging on the peg board along with all of the other ribbons, insignia, etc... Kevin

IPB Image

Edited by ehrentitle

Ed:

It's illegal to sell (or any other manner part with it for profit including trade) one.

Dave

Technically, but this is a legal niceity lost on the ever-vigilant FBI and their affiliated sicherheit agencies. They tend to arrest the medal on the presumption that if you own it you must have bought it and so you are at least an accessory to a crime against the founding principles of the Republic. Even if you can avoid their punishment for violating their law, your medal may just vanish into their happy displays of medals they have seized from the hands of miscreants and evil-doers. The new "Stolen Valor Act" will extend this "protection" to all US medals and the self-denominated "patriots" (a.k.a. Fools on the Hill and their minions) are ramming this through the ever-pliable legislative system.

I am so glad I do not collect US medals, except for a few family pieces, for which I have no purchase receipts, so I rarely mention them.

:angry:

Guest Darrell

Ed:

Dave

Man there are some stupid laws. That's like saying "It's legal to eat beef, yet Illegal to kill cows" :speechless:

• 8 months later...

That's a very nice photo. Navy is still my favorite.

I have a book on the MOH published by the Arny around 1949. It says the medal is made of Silver. Anyone know if the unissued pieces are silver? Is the current MOH silver?

Dan

Edited by Daniel Cole

I have a book on the MOH published by the Arny around 1949. It says the medal is made of Silver. Anyone know if the unissued pieces are silver? Is the current MOH silver?

Dan

Silver-gilt most likely, never looked "silver".

Dan

Hi Dan,

Good question, I believe that they are brass with a gold plating applied to them. On a related note, about 17 years ago, Lowell Jackson of "Pieces of History" :unsure: had a table set up at a local gunshow. On this table, he had at least 5 MOH's, two of which were said to be real gold.

I have been told that there were limited "test" examples if you will, struck from varying precious metals with the thought of possibly striking future examples from gold or silver. But the idea was abandoned because the government did not want the actual medal to carry an intrinsic monetary value that would subject it to the possibility of being destroyed, defaced, or melted for the precious metal content. Maybe someone else can give a more definitive answer, but this is the information that I have to date.

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

I'll post when I get home the details on construction from my Army book. The book is an official Govt work so I would 'Assume" it to be realitively correct.

I should have said silver gilt but will confirm.

Dan

Edited by Daniel Cole

I have a collector / dealer friend that has the MOH of General Daniel Sickles. He was awarded it for the Battle of Gettyburg in 1863. It is Tiffany made and solid gold, but I cannot remember what grade of gold. It was purchased from a London auction house many years ago for quite a sum. I have had it in my hands a couple of times. :jumping::jumping:

Dan