News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal of Honour

Marcus H

No Army Medal of Honor has ever been made in gold. Prior to the 1904 design, they were simple bronze stars.

The original design concept, I believe, was parallel to the Victoria Cross -- the medal would have minimal intrinsic value. The value would lie in the honor and merit represented by the medal.

Then perhaps his was a privately commisioned piece.

Dan

And a classic case of gilding the lily! Not my field but was there not at one point a move to "recall" some of the Civil War Medals of Honour - I'm thinking last century, not this - because "too many" were given out? BTW, not a US "problem" only. A cynic might note the high number of VCs awarded for the Indian Mutiny, especially Delhi, and suggest it had more to do with placating the British citizen than with the admittedly brave acts of the recipients!

My point, long-winded bu**er that I am, is that both VC and Medal have now acheived a semi-sacred status among both military men and the public but such was not always the case and "improving" one's uniform, accouterments or awards has a long history too! I mean adding to legit. awards or buying better quality than the cheapsters who issued stuff provided. Maybe the general just didn't think the Medal looked special enough!

Peter

That's a very nice photo. Navy is still my favorite.

I have a book on the MOH published by the Arny around 1949. It says the medal is made of Silver. Anyone know if the unissued pieces are silver? Is the current MOH silver?

Dan

I have been able to be the caretaker of a very well polished WW2 Navy model that had all of the finish polished off and it was a brass-ish type material. Maybe even some sort of brass-alloy or something like that, but definately not silver. Of course, the Army MOHs might have been made of something different...

Dave

As far as the MOH being made of gold, Jeff is right in that they aren't. However, I met and had a long discussion with a person who worked with the Army awards board and who actually was the one who regularly inventoried and signed for the inventory of MOHs in current Army stock. She said that they had "at least one" solid gold MOH in the safe where the MOHs were kept, but that it was a custom made example when the Army awards board was evaluating the possibility to make the award out of gold rather than out of the current material. So, they aren't made of gold...save for one that's sitting in a safe somewhere...

Dave

As far as the MOH being made of gold, Jeff is right in that they aren't. However, I met and had a long discussion with a person who worked with the Army awards board and who actually was the one who regularly inventoried and signed for the inventory of MOHs in current Army stock. She said that they had "at least one" solid gold MOH in the safe where the MOHs were kept, but that it was a custom made example when the Army awards board was evaluating the possibility to make the award out of gold rather than out of the current material. So, they aren't made of gold...save for one that's sitting in a safe somewhere...

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is basically along the same line of conversation that I had with L. Jackson years ago. No mass produced pieces....but a few test cases, if you will. BTW....good to see you "over here" too. :beer:

I know it's not an Army piece...and I will delete it if necessary, but since we were discussing the MOH, I saw this recently and took some shots...this looks like a 70s piece...not named of course.

Edited by Sal

I was told recently that the proper designation is "The Medal of Honor Awarded by Congress" as opposed to "The Congressional Medal of Honor" (which I'm told is something entirely different).

What is the difference?

The only MoH I've seen "in person" is the one on display at the Wilderness Battlefield visitor's center. I believe it is brass. Not very ornate.

Ralph

I can't comment on the "by Congess" part...I know it is the Medal of Honor by name...If I am not botching the explanation it is awarded by the Congress (upon Congressional approval?) in the name of the President. Basically the President approves the award of the MoH, Congress awards the medal in the name of the President...

Congress approves and awards medals, Congressional Medals, to prominent citizens...Congressional Gold Medals etc. Not sure the criteria or process for that...

The most ornate MoH IMO is the AF MoH...largerst and most ornate...followed by the Army version, then the Navy version (simple brass inverted star just as the original design). Hope this helps a little. Tony

I was told recently that the proper designation is "The Medal of Honor Awarded by Congress" as opposed to "The Congressional Medal of Honor" (which I'm told is something entirely different).

What is the difference?

The only MoH I've seen "in person" is the one on display at the Wilderness Battlefield visitor's center. I believe it is brass. Not very ornate.

The back of the Army MOH says on the eagle suspension "The Congress to",, the star or medal is then engraved. I think the President awards it, Congress approves the awards. Congressional Medal of Honor is actually eroneous. Medal of Honor is correct.