News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Firstly can I say hello to everyone on this great site and a Merry Christmas.

This is my first post so treat me gently!!

I have been collecting now for about two years and have now focussed mainly on the medals and docs of Bavaria in the WW1 period, though I still can't resist the odd item from Mecklenburg-Schwerin, if funds allow! The Bavarian military records being available online really swayed it.

I have just received this bar and ribbon, which I couldn't resist.

The seller tells me it belonged to a Paul Schmitt. Unfortunately, just my luck, his service record doesn't appear on the above mentioned site.

From the 1914 Bavarian Rank List I have managed to find out the following about Paul Schmitt;

Born 1873 (haven't got exact date.)

Patent to Second Leut 5/3/1894 (with IR15)

Patent to OberLeut 9/3/1902 (Still with IR15?)

Patent to Hauptmann 26/10/1907

Patent to Major 25/8/1913

He received a Jubilee medal in 1905, but when the Rank List was published in May 1914 he hadn't received a pre war MVO4.

From Military directories I found the following;

1900 listed as Adjutant at IR15 based at Dillingen

1905 Oberleut with Jubilee medal Ir15 at War Academy

1907 At General Staff Central

1909 Hauptmann at IR17

1911 Back at General Staff Central

1914 Major as Chief of Staff at General Staff Munich. (6th Div)

So basically I am after your help to take me further and hopefully to confirm this as really his bar and ribbon.

As you can see the first medal which I have been told was a MVO3 with crown and swords has been removed, my next job!!

Sorry I can't post the backs in this post but I have run out of upload space.

Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Hello,

Welcome on board ! I think you will find a lot of answers here.

Your bar is very nice.

Some research :

Paul Schmitt received the knight cross 1st class with swords and cronw of Albert of Saxe on 18 September 1917, at this time he served as Major and Chef of GS GK 63.

He received the Bavarian Military Merit Order 3rd class with swords and crown on 3 September 1918.

He received the Bavarian Military Merit Order 3rd class with swords on 30 July 1917.

He received the Bavarian Military Merit Order 3rd class with swords and crown on 11 September 1914.

That's all I have for the moment

Christophe

Hi Pardo!

First of all welcome to the this forum... you will find it interesting! ;-)

For sure this officer had a file in the Kriegsarchiv in Munich... Once I wrote them to get some informations about a Bavarian officer and they replied sending me the whole photocopied Rangliste of him (see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/13530-pic-of-an-oberstleutnant-unidentified/?hl=n#entry131563 ). Or you might ask somebody to go there for you... ;-)

ciao,

Claudio

Paul Schmitt received the BMV4b on 30.12.13.

Both the Kriegsranglisten of the 6.b.ID, his unit at the start of the war, and of GKdo.z.b.V. 63, where he was when he received the SA3aXKr, are apparently missing, which may explain why there was nothing on him in the Bavarian records on Ancestry.com.

Many thanks to Christophe and Dave for their prompt and knowledgeable responses.

It would appear that this is indeed the bar of Paul Schmitt.

Christophe the last part of your first post should this read EK2 and not MVO3?

Anyone have a date for his EK1?

Vtwinvince thanks for the offer but I would prefer an awarded piece.

One other thing that has puzzled me is the lack of post WW1 awards does anyone have info on what became of him?

Thanks again everybody for replying and I am glad you all like the bar.