News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A 90 000 dollar sock.....

Chris - I fully agree with you - what can you say to such stupidity......................... (That is 60,000 pounds in real money !)

OK - let's follow Chris' lead -what is the silliest thing you have ever bought - or, seen sold ? (Remember - it will be non-militaria)

Gentlemen (and ladies) there are many who consider what we collect as silly and won’t pay more for these baubles than what they can get for a similarly pretty broach at a department store.

I thought the article did a good job in explaining the significance of this item in the context of the events with hardened rivals. I don’t know if you are aware, but the city of Boston and New York have a long cultural and sports rivalry going on. Their teams, the Red Sox and Yankees have vied at each other for generations. I think everyone can relate to this type of sports team rivalry.

Having said that, it was a lot of money for a Red Sox’s red sock and while I may think of other silly investments, one that comes to mind is my purchase of Ericsson stock.

I wouldn't pay 90k (dollars that is ... the real international currency standard and not a measure of weight)...but I understand the appeal and it's certainly not stupid. I'm in complete agreement with Claudius, it's not any sillier than let's say...anything we collect. Or tickets to the last World Cup.

Edited by IrishGunner

Your enthusiasm for old socks is overwhelming. Now, tell the truth - would you really pay $90,000 for a sock ?

No. I can't think of anyone from the past, present or future, historical, fictional or imaginary that I would pay $90K for a sock.

There - Claudio - I admire your honest opinion. What is a 'telling point' is that both yourself and IG saw nothing wrong

with it being sold for that obscene amount. Just shows the great amounts with sports worldwide. I have to equate a

figure of this amount, with the realty of millions STARVING in Africa. Having said that - people are entitled to spend their

money as they wish - and everything can't be charity.

I do hope members will tell us some of their example of large sums being spent on strange items ? Mervyn

First of all I wouldn't spend a dime on a collectible sock nor a tuppence on any police memorabilia. Neither have value to me. But I do recognize that these items have value to those that do collect such oddities and wouldn't condescend to call either collector "stupid" for pursuing his (or her) or her passion. Personally, I find $1000 a little rich and extravagant for a single item of any sort. But that's my opinion.

As for the starving. For all we know, this collector is also a generous philanthropist. We are not in a position to judge until we are willing to dispose of our own "extravagant" collections and donate the proceeds to Save the Children.

It's a sock. Worthy of some satirical and humorous comment. But that's it.

• 3 months later...

Man with bleeding foot plays game where they hit a ball with a stick. Needless to say I don't get it.

I also don't get why a Christmas card signed by Princess Di sells for more than a battlefield order signed by Napoleon. The world is cracked.

Colin

The part that alarms me the most is that the auctioneer stated that the sock came just UNDER what they expected it to do... in other words, they actually thought that it would bring in more money that that? !!!!? :speechless1:

Certainly this is NOT my cup of tea. However, I see nothing wrong with the idea. I assume the sock came with provenance. If it is as stated in the article, I am not surprised at all with the final price.

I have bought a few 'off the wall' items for what could be called silly money. Just ask my wife, she will tell you. LOL I was in the running for a piece of toast that had the likeness of Jesus in it. I dropped out of the running when someone said it appeared to be more like osama bin ladin.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

You gentleman are all missing the point:

What about the OTHER sock... to make A Complete Set? :whistle::cat: