News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Biggest bang for your buck research wise.

I've been asked a number of times which awards are the best to research. I use the comparison of OPW2s and RSs. Personally I have found that one gets the biggest bang for their buck with RSs overall. My track record with OPW2s has not been great-mostly SMERSH which I trade away and don't collect. With RSs, you are almost guaranteed a good write up.

Please keep in mind that this is not a character assassination of OPW2s (I still have a few good ones) but rather a research comparison based on price.

Your thoughts?

;)

I think that the biggest bang for the buck comes from either the OG or a Bravery Medal. None of these were awarded for long service and are awarded for such diverse things.... from being great cooks all the way to leading a vangard through enemy lines! Plus, these awards are plentiful and not so expensive.

Research is the same, regardless of the award, right?

All the history is good on awards and the main issue you have when purchasing and when researching is the anticipation of getting something back (at least thats how it was with my OGPW 2) I'm partially very glad that I ended up receiving something back :)

I was thinking about really narrowing down a certain section to collect and when buying orders and medals that havn't been researched it is near impossible :)

For most of us that don't end up choosing a subject matter and want to collect items in general I think its mostly because of something we relate with the award, a certain date, a good historic citation or even the name of the individual and his history that peaks our interest. Although I did like ordering the research and it was a gamble on if it'd pop up to anything, your always hoping for the best outcome :)

The main problem is wanting to get each and every award on an award card for the certain individual(if they are split up) you have and how almost un-attainable that goal in collecting can be.

I think patience is the key in almost every collection, if theres an order you want but the one for sale doesn't fit the carectaristics, just wait it out a bit more, something may show up in a month or two that may interest you more than the one thats for sale now :)

It is challenging to collect on a budget (but we all have one in one form or another) just keeping to the budget for the things you want and going a bit extra over for some things that you really want is what should be adheared too :)

Edited by Rogi

There is no wrong in any answers given. It is a personal preference thing. If someone wants to collect Soviet cat food containers, all the power to them.

Paul, it depends. Typically RSs have longer write ups. BMs can be one liners. Eg. Ivan was brave and killed 5 hitlerites. Given the cost of research, my preference is longer write ups. With Glories, there is the war wound serial number range-not my preference for what you pay for research.

Sounds words of wisdom Rogi, ie. patience. The other advice is great also. ;)

Yes I hear you, but the odds are good that(depending upon the number range) ORS and ORB are simple long service medals. That is a bummer after dropping the cash for research. I have a really cool ORB2 that I had research paid on. I was bummed when it came back as a LS award...

Man, you should be happy and whistlin Dixie that you have an ORB2-congrats! Hope that you post it.

If you use Schmitt's Echoes book for RSs and RBs, one can evade long service awards. Don't feel bad as I have had my fair share of RB long service. However, if you check Podvignaroda, you might find the other awards and say WOW, this is interesting. If I can remember, I'll post a long service RB but one with his other awards-very impressive. Auke is like the super master detective that can find them anywhere on Podvig.

Just my opinion but T2V2 BMs are typically one liners. : (

Edited by Aurelius

In my opinion, the biggest bang for your buck is anything from the first two years of the war. Even BMs and MCMs from that period can be really good.

If I would have to pick a specific award, it would be the Red Banner - just evade the long-service ranges and you can be sure the citation is good.

True words of wisdom Auke. ;)

Paul, but don't try to use the book to pick up chics. I tried it and crashed and burned. Somehow using the line "hi there, would you like to go for perogies and hear about the Stalingrad BM range in Echoes" question didn't work. :love::speechless:

With Glories, there is the war wound serial number range-not my preference for what you pay for research.

I've got a 633k OG3 and a 18.6k OG2; both late awards. Would they fall in that wound award range?

Gents, I'm now on the fence about research, after being firmly in the anti-research corner for years. Which of my awards might yield the best results; a ORB 49.9k, a Nevsky 28k, RS 189k, BM 235k, CSM 432k. ?

I think the BM and CSM get ok write ups from what I have observed, ORB could yeild something interesting and so could RS, but they also sub as life long awards, I'd be interested in seeing a Nevsky Researched :D

Too many decisions for you to make :) first find out the serial range for the long service awards, then go from there :)

I've got a 633k OG3 and a 18.6k OG2; both late awards. Would they fall in that wound award range?

Gents, I'm now on the fence about research, after being firmly in the anti-research corner for years. Which of my awards might yield the best results; a ORB 49.9k, a Nevsky 28k, RS 189k, BM 235k, CSM 432k. ?

Mornin Eric,

You have an outstanding collection-my compliments.

According to Schmitt's book, your 633K is close to one that was awarded in 47 under Supreme Soviet. This could mean war wound. Auke, am I right on this?

The Glory 2 is close to one awarded in 44 to 3rd Guards Army. This should be combat.

From the above list, I'd first do the ORB and Nevsky. ALL are superb candidates for research. Research has become a great deal more economical. Re the RB, I had a 49K but it was for long service. Mine was 489XX.

It is a personal preference on whether one researches or not and only one that you can make.

But think to yourself, what if you research one of them and it turns out to be for Comrade tankist Chinaov fighting fearless and smoking many enemy tanks at Kursk? ;)

Edited by Aurelius

I would go Red Banner - Nevsky - RS - OG2 - BM - CSM - OG3 (indeed probably a 1947 wound award).

If you like real combat awards, bump the OG2 one place.

I have Red Banner nr. 49942 on file, which was awarded in December 1942 to a unit, namely Oryol Armor School.

I did not know that actual numbered awards were presented to units/establishments. I thought that it was more of a special banner that was given. What did the units/establishments do with the actual award that they received? Frame them and mount them at the headquarters?

This photo shows Colonel General Vershinin, commander of the 4th Air Army, attaching the Order of the Red Banner to the banner of the 46th Guards Night Bomber Aviation Regiment (the Night Witch regiment). The regiment received the award for distinction during the liberation of Feodosia. The award itself is not visible unfortunately...