News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What researched award would you like to receive?

That is, for what actions and by what mos (military occupation specialty)?

No, you can't list Zaitsev's BM or Chuikov's non military Mr. Smiley award. An award that you have in your collection that you research and, boom, when the research comes in it will be your favorite for a long time and it will make you stop eating yucky gluton free bread and go back to ordinary white bread.

I'll give my answer after a few of you answer.

Aviation related, a pilot I don't really even care if it was an ace or not (which is crazy since I love doing the research for Aces) for WW2, it'd have to be a female aviator.

For other wars my dream would be a Korean War Pilot awards (Russian Pilot) There were a couple that fought in the begining of the war and "tutored" the N.K Air force, but then again would they actually be researchable or would it be hidden? (since technicly the 2 Koreas are still at war )

Those are pretty much the only 2 that would blow my socks off, unless of course I ended up buying one of my relatives' awards (we had 3-4 members of the family fighting on the russian side in WW2, their awards got stolen years later :S ) That would probobly get me in shock, more than 1 in a million change I guess :D

Anything to a dog handler, hands down.

Also something to a tanker at Kursk (or tanker anywhere for that matter)

Also some more Heavy Bomber bits :).

Something for storming the Reichstag would be cool too :D

Not much then haha.

Tom

I would love to own an award that can be linked to an event we read about in history books, even if it's only on small scale. A few years ago Markov sold the Red Banner that was awarded to the officer who took Field Marshal Paulus in custody in Stalingrad; that would be a fabulous award to own. It doesn't have to be a high-profile event or a recipient like this one, but an award to an officer who played a significant role in an event that made it into the history books would be terrific.

Second on the list is an award to one of the Night Witches. I wrote an article about them a few years ago and have always been fascinated by them.

I would love to own an award that can be linked to an event we read about in history books, even if it's only on small scale. A few years ago Markov sold the Red Banner that was awarded to the officer who took Field Marshal Paulus in custody in Stalingrad; that would be a fabulous award to own. It doesn't have to be a high-profile event or a recipient like this one, but an award to an officer who played a significant role in an event that made it into the history books would be terrific.

Second on the list is an award to one of the Night Witches. I wrote an article about them a few years ago and have always been fascinated by them.

It looks like female aviators is on everyone's list :D hehehe we should pool our resources and find 1, I think there rarer than most other awards when you look at it :)

Very interesting replies and wishes. Common wants from many and all great. Nice selection fellas. :cheers:

Ok, so mine are these:

1. An award that specifically states that a Soviet unit smoked/destroyed/kaputted a complete unit of SS.

2. Mi24 gunship for smoking rebels in Afghanistan.

3. Reichstag

As for my Dutch, well, I happen to know a damn good Dutch translator. ;)

Have you ever seen a Reichstag write up Norm? Theyvmust be out there, but i'd imagine their serial numbers are all jumbled within the multitude of awardings at the tail end if the war.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I have not seen one but I know a few guys who suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure are trying to get one. No success to date.

Hi Tom,

I have not seen one but I know a few guys who suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure are trying to get one. No success to date.

Just to throw it out, it might be still "classified" info? Maybe Auke can shed some light on what may and may not be available when research pops up?

I don't think Reichstag awards are classified. For instance, Kantaria's and Yegorov's HSU citations - the gents who hoisted a Soviet flag on the Reichstag - are online. Awards for combat near the Reichstag may be scarce, but I doubt they are classified.

From my own experience, I believe that the following awards are classified or stored in sealed archives:

- NKVD, NKGB and their successor organizations

- Some Smersh awards

- Some partisan awards

- Some of the wartime and postwar "special ops" citations. Some time ago I researched a 1942 Red Banner to an Air Force pilot. After looking in different archives, the citation was found in the KGB archive; my researcher believed he was involved in sensitive long-range missions, and therefore all of his citations had been moved to the KGB archive.

I never could figure out why such a hush hush with partisan awards. And only a record card? What's da big deal? Same write ups as the ones found in the Central archives.

Tom buddy, but some could come back as "Comrade Boris was brave in the Reichstag and killed one hitlerite."

I would love to have either a Cold War related order(Vietnam, Korea, Cuban Missile Crisis, and etc) or a nice set to an Afghan War vet.

+1 even a somalie or some other conflict the soviets rendered troops to would be amazing :D Korea is up there for sure for me too :)

I doubt that the recipient is still alive and even if he/she was it still would be researchable.

Even though I am fully of beans and hot air, I do know a bit about research. As such, to reiterate, I think the RB group is very rare and could likely be KGB. Classified to say the least. Hang tough Devil Dog, one day you'll get the research but it will take time. The KGB archive is still closed but that will change-chaos there at this time. Man, you can buy me a beer or 6 when it comes back as something real cool.

If it is a night witch, though, methinks Auke will swim the ocean and grab it from ya.lol

Tom buddy, only awards for officers have pics. And you get the pic by paying extra and getting his service record with it. I should add it is not a guarantee that you will get a pic with the service record-crap shoot.

Edited by Aurelius

Tom buddy, only awards for officers have pics. And you get the pic by paying extra and getting his service record with it. I should add it is not a guarantee that you will get a pic with the service record-crap shoot.

Just a +1 and a small addition.

Sometimes in the service record as stated, the picture is missing in the officer's file, most likley it could have fallen off, or been lifted off of the file at an earlier date.