News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar - painted on wood

I found this one recently, a ribbon bar carefully hand-painted on a piece of wood. Someone who fought both in Russia and Africa.

Made in a POW camp, maybe? Has anyone got similar pieces?

Edited by webr55

Hi Chris,

Thats a nice piece. Is the pin bracket German manufacture with a wooden front glued to the plate? If so I'd say this was field made. After all there is not much point in looking highly decorated as a POW.

I missed out on a field made ribbon bar some years ago, it was constructed on the metal of a field chocolate ration! It was crude, but quite cleverly manufactured. Sadly I never saved the photos!! :( it also went for more than I was expecting.

I think POW... plenty of photos of Germans in POW cages in North America, taken by commercial Photographers, wearing medals and all....

I agree... Have see lot of photos of POW's wearing every type of award/badge all expertly carved from wood.

This bar is a particularly nice piece.

Thanks for your comments.

I must say I absolutely have no clue, I have never seen a piece like this before.

Chris -- that is what I think is most plausible, it might have been made in a North American camp, POWs were wearing their awards there. Regarding the Africa medal: interesting yes, I wonder if he cared about regulations or whether he was captured before the medal was forbidden to wear.

John -- yes I agree, they also made things like the Lappland shield in POW camps, but I have never had one of these wooden pieces in hand.

Thanks Guys,

I'm glad you like it. IMO, wooden awards are not very common. Perhaps wood was the only material available at the time of necessity. I wish I knew where it came from. Only reported as made by a POW.

Regards

E.

I remember reading somewhere that some knights cross recipients, in particular in US or Canadian camps, wore self-made knights crosses for appearance on trials, either as witnesses or defendants. Their original medals were usually gone.

Maybe these were made for some such purpose.

Edited by webr55

Lets not forget... The german army was not a professional army with Skill set limited to "this is grenade... pull pin like this.." ... it had called up conscripts who in private life were artisans and jewellers and builders etc... etc...

I imagine a POW camp with conscripts was waaay more productive in many fields than a POW camp with career soldiers...