News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

War honor medal Lippe-Detmold with document

Hi,

i think it?s time for another nice example from the prinicipal Lippe-Detmold:

War honor medal Lippe-Detmold with original ribbon and document

The yellow-red-white ribbon is the original (for non-combatants!)

The material is bronze

I?m sorry, but i don?t know the number of awards...perhaps anyone can help me?

The medal:

and the fitting document (but i bought it separate...)

The document says that this medal (with the ribbon for non-combatants / white center)

was given to woman :o (Frau Geheimrat Dr. Schroeder)

I think this document might be quite rare :rolleyes:

Greetings

Solomon

Guest Rick Research

Well, not ONLY that, Solomon, but what you have here is the HUSBAND "at his job" (Vortragender Rat, number 2 man at the Lippe Geheimer-Zivil-Kabinett per the 1917 Hof-und- Staats-Kalendar) forwarding an award "officially in the 3rd person"

TO HIS OWN WIFE.

:rolleyes:

(What fun you will have when you can get into the Archives there!)

Well, not ONLY that, Solomon, but what you have here is the HUSBAND "at his job" (Vortragender Rat, number 2 man at the Lippe Geheimer-Zivil-Kabinett per the 1917 Hof-und- Staats-Kalendar) forwarding an award "officially in the 3rd person"

TO HIS OWN WIFE.

Yes, thats right. I knew this, when i got this document :D

I think there?ll be not a small number of husbands in upper positions who gave awards to the wifes.

More interesting is that his wife had also a "Dr." in her name :o

Greetings

Solomon

That is fun. As a sidebar and like-instance, my father's name is on my birth certificate, as he was administrator of the hospital in which I was born; along with my grandmother's, who was the floor nurse that night.

More interesting is that his wife had also a "Dr." in her name :o

If Germany is anything like Denmark, then the 'Geheimrat Dr. Schr?der' part of the 'Frau Geheimrat Dr. Schr?der' is referring to the husband. She is 'just' the wife of him... :)

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the number of awards, I was searching for:

There were 459 awards with the ribbon for combatants (yellow center at the ribbon)

and 1.249 awards for non-combatans (white center), like my medal.

Greetings Solomon

Guest Rick Research

:speechless::banger: "There were 459 awards with the ribbon for combatants (yellow center at the ribbon)

and 1.249 awards for non-combatans (white center)..." :banger::speechless:

WAAAAAH!!!!! I sold this 10 years ago! :banger:

[attachmentid=30257]

:speechless:

[attachmentid=30258]

But, I know where it went to live, so some day soon I may be able to at least make GOOD scans with my Epson 2400 instead of this yucky old borrowed camera shots from years ago.

So, break the bad news to me gently--

how many of the CROSS on noncombatant ribbon were there? :o

how many of the CROSS on noncombatant ribbon were there? :o

You really want to know that ? :ninja:

There were from 18. Dec. 1914 till 13. June 1922 only 1.117 awards of the war merit cross with

the ribbon for non-combatants :speechless1:

Even less than the awards of the war merit medal....

Greetings

Solomon

Hi Solomon,

Thank you for a great presentation. What I especially appreciate is the fact that such presentations so well illustrate and give life to the significance of what are often considered relatively mundane awards; which in reality are rare and not to be taken lightly.

I do have a question regarding these particular medals which is prompted by the document to a woman. Were these medals, like so many other Imperial German decorations, ever awarded or worn on a ?bow? style ribbon?

Thank you again and best wishes,

Wild Card

I do have a question regarding these particular medals which is prompted by the document to a woman. Were these medals, like so many other Imperial German decorations, ever awarded or worn on a ?bow? style ribbon?

Wild Card

Again a look into the statutes (I hope, I translated it understandable):

Statutes war honor medal from 25. October 1915

[...]

? 2.

[...]

The war honour medal (on the combatant-ribbon) has to be mounted at the bar before all other awards from Lippe-Detmold, (on the non-combatant-ribbon) before all medals but direct after all orders from Lippe-Detmold, but women have to wear it on a bow-style ribbon in the awarded colours at their left shoulder.

( ? 2.

Die Kriegs-Ehrenmedaille am gelben, rot und wei? eingef?ten Bande wird vor allen Lippischen Orden und Ehrenzeichen, am wei?en, rot und gelb eingefa?ten Bande vor allen lippischen Ehrenzeichen unmittelbar nach den Lippischen Orden, hingegen von Damen an einer Schleife in der Farbe des Bandes an der linken Schulter getragen.)

I never saw a medal on a bow-style ribbon, it might be very,very rare...in this way the style of the ribbon of my medal does not fit to the document :blush:

Greetings

Solomon

Thank you Solomon, I sort of suspected that this was the case; and that is why I asked. Your translation is perfectly clear; and yes, one of these on a bow ribbon would be a rare bird; but who knows what may come along some day!

Maybe, in the near future, we can all get together and do a thread on bow styled ribbon awards?

Thank you again and best wishes,

Wild Card

Maybe, in the near future, we can all get together and do a thread on bow styled ribbon awards?

Wild Card

This would be great...i?ll keep an eye open for it :D

But at the moment another even rarer order on a bow-style-ribbon is on its way into my collection :ninja:

..I?ll show it, when it has arrived.

Greetings

Solomon

Guest Rick Research

"There were from 18. Dec. 1914 till 13. June 1922 only 1.117 awards of the war merit cross with

the ribbon for non-combatants."

OW! :banger: Ouch! :speechless: Owow! :banger: I was :speechless: so ow :banger: dumb :speechless:

OK, so... could you compare the two award rolls and tell me whose medal bar this was originally? :rolleyes:

Just kidding! :cheeky: That is the sort of "job" I usually do around here, ach.

WOW! I didn't knew that this medal is so rare. Thanks for the numbers!

For Lippe-Detmold these numbers are quite large :P

Other awards from this principality are 150 and less times awarded...very hard to find and very expensive. :unsure:

Greetings

Solomon

• 2 months later...

Here is another war honor medal from Lippe-Detmold...and something very special for Stogieman :P

These paper-bags are extremly rare :rolleyes:

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

• 3 months later...

Hello Gents,

it?s time to reactivate this thread :P

Now I have the rarest combination of this medal in my collection :jumping:

It is the

war merit medal Lippe-Detmold on a bow-style ribbon (combatant-ribbon !!!) for women

As mentioned there are only 459 awards with the combantant?s ribbon (yellow center).

I?m quite sure, that there are less than 100 awards for women with this ribbon!

The woman who owned my medal, must have been a nurse from Lippe who worked in a military hospital at the front :o

When I?ll visit the archive in Detmold again, I?ll check if my supposed number of awards for women is correct

I hope you like it although it?s from a female :P

Greetings

Solomon