News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

new BM - VoG suspension question

The latest addition to my collection is a nice, early BM.

As you can see the ribbon is wrong. The ribbon seems to be as old as the suspension as both have heavy wear (the way I like it!) so I'm guessing they got switched at some point.

I was assuming it was a VoG suspension but then I noticed it has a two-piece suspension and I've never seen a VoG on a two-piecer. Have you?

I'm wondering if maybe it's a OG ribbon/suspension as it has the early style pin attachment as well?

103v5ft.jpg

Edited by Eric Gaumann

VoG Medals were issued on two-piece suspensions too. I've seen quite a few. So in this case there's no way to tell if this suspension and ribbon belonged to an OG3 or VoG (assuming the BM wasn't issued like this :)).

Well, there goes that theory... :)

Thanks for the help, Auke, as always.

How about my OG3; 663k number therefore late war issue. It's got a brass, one piece suspension. That's probaly correct, right?

PS. If anybody's got a worn BM ribbon, on any sort of suspension, please keep me in mind. TIA

It's got a brass, one piece suspension. That's probaly correct, right?

Yes, probably. Although most orders were issued on two-piece suspensions, I have seen a number of Red Banners and Glories on one-piece brass suspensions.

Yes, probably. Although most orders were issued on two-piece suspensions, I have seen a number of Red Banners and Glories on one-piece brass suspensions.

I just did an image search on Aukro, what I like to think of and use as the world's largest and easiest to access collection of (mostly) good *images* of Soviet awards. I was checking mid to later numbered OG3s; 400k to 780k. The majority of them were indeed two piece suspensions. A few were obvious replaced suspensions but a small anomaly popped up as well; those in the mid-600k range did have a brass, one piece suspension. I saw 3 or 4 of them like that.

Of course there is no way to know for certain that at one point a supply of one-piecers was made available and used in the 600k range but it could be possible.

Also, above 699k almost all suspensions were two-piece agian, albeit using the later, three point pin attachment (not the earlier, horizontal pin placement).

BTW, *What* was the reasoning for the inside piece in the two-piece suspensions???? What purpose did it serve? For function's sake a single layer does the job just as well and also takes less time and a lot less material to manufacure.

Always wondered about that.

PS. If anybody's got a worn BM ribbon, on any sort of suspension or even not, please keep me in mind. TIA

BTW, *What* was the reasoning for the inside piece in the two-piece suspensions???? What purpose did it serve? For function's sake a single layer does the job just as well and also takes less time and a lot less material to manufacure.

Always wondered about that.

On the single-piece suspensions, two parts were cut out to wrap the ribbon around, and sometimes you can see the outlines of those cut-outs on the obverse of the award. Adding a front plate remedies this. I guess only the best was good enough for the awards. It has always amazed me too though. Surely all of that steel could have been put to better use.

Make medals not war! was the catch phrase for this suspension :D

Do not question Soviet procedure or we will have to send you to the northern forum :o:D hehehe

Edited by Rogi

There is a part of me that hopes that you dont change the ribbon. The ribbon looks so well worn and a part of the suspension. Maybe it was the wearer's way of saying he was part of a Guards unit(they used the St George Ribbon as well)? Who knows. Does the pendant look like it has been on there for a long time?

Good thought on the Guards option. But we'd just be reaching, even with research.

Yes, both are heavily worn but it's so easy to switch suspensions. What if the owner had it on one of those cheap hinge-type pin attachement suspensions and a dealer switched it to an old and incorrect ribbon/suspension combination?

BTW, I cleaned this medal hoping to find some enamel under the dirt in the lettes. No luck! :(

Now it's just another clean medal with minimal patina.

...hoping to find some enamel under the dirt in the lettes. No luck!

No wonder!

This type has lacquer instead of enamel in the letters за отвагу.

That's why it is so easily crumbled out ...