News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sergeant Ulanov - Thrice Recommended for Glory 3rd Class, Once Received (What Happened?)

Gents, I'd like to share what seems to me the extremely unusual award situation of Sergeant Nikolai Frolovich Ulanov, whose Order of the Red Star – a 1960/61 catch-up for June 1945 – now resides in my collection.

In this 1970s photo found online, Ulanov is depicted in civilian dress bearing, in addition to his Red Star, the Order of Glory 3rd Class, Order of the Badge of Honor, Medal for the Defense of Leningrad, Medal for Victory Over Germany, anniversary medals (100 years of Lenin's birth, 50 years of the Armed Forces, 20 years of victory, and veteran's badge on the other side), and one unidentified medal. Ulanov's military award record card confirms both the Red Star and the (one) Order of Glory, awarded by decree of the 135th Rifle Division from February 23, 1945 and received on-time.

What is unusual is that Ulanov was recommended and approved for the Order of Glory 3rd Class on three separate occasions – August 1944, February 23, 1945, and April 7, 1945 – for separate actions. None of these instances acknowledged each other (no recommendation for 2nd class, no previous Orders of Glory noted, etc.). Documents to be displayed in further posts.

How is this situation explained? Bureaucratic error? Something not shown by these documents? Perhaps I missed something?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I see two possibilities: as said it could have been bureaucratic errors. He was apparently transferred to another unit after August 1944, which may explain why he never received his first Glory. The third Glory was awarded shortly before the end of the war, and because of the subsequent mass demobilizations many of these awards took a long time to catch up with their recipients.

A second possibility is that he did receive one or two additional Glories, but at a much later date. Perhaps another record card exists, which was misfiled or is still stored at his local military commissariat.

Thanks, All, for your thoughts :beer:

I forgot to mention earlier that Ulanov received a 1985 OPW 1st Class, according to Podvig.

Auke, I think the second theory can be safely discounted on the basis of the text that came with the photo (I believe provided by relatives). Translated, it goes: "Born in 1925. Mobilized in January 1943. Fought on the Leningrad Front in a sniper company [not quite right], was severely wounded. Rank - sergeant. Awarded the Order of Glory 3rd Class and other decorations." I guess strictly speaking the text would still be a true statement if he received additional 3rd class orders, but I think it's a good bet multiple awards would have been noted. The potential bureaucratic errors you pointed out seem very likely though.

I've seen double Glory 3rd Class awardings before, but not triple. Has someone else observed this scenario?