News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

I posted this badge in the WA badge forum with mixed results. Any one here want to comment on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of this L/18 E-Boat badge? I can scale down more pics if needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Scott

Let's not forget the Bacqueville issue. The French produced a series of KM war badges. Some people doubt that they are wartime but it is improbable that they are postwar fantasy pieces. The most likely scenario is that they were made on spec, so to speak, by the French firm of Bacqueville - which made other stuff for the Germans as well - sometime during the two-year period in which Berlin maintained the charade of Franco-German alliance, between June 1940 and July 1942. Many French firms - and people - curried favour with the Germans. In March 1941, the LDO tightened the rules governing the production and retail of state awards and qualification badges and Bacqueville probably fell foul of this. A consignment of these badges was found in the French Admiralty building on Place de la Concorde during renovation work in the 1970s. This building, naturally, served as KM HQ during the Occupation. Other examples have surfaced elsewhere and there is talk of a photo in the ECPA-D archives of some sailors in La Baule wearing French-made KM war badges but we have not found it yet.

PK

I posted this badge in the WA badge forum with mixed results.  Any one here want to comment on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of this L/18 E-Boat badge?  I can scale down more pics if needed.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!  Scott

Scott,

The only undoubtedly original L/18s I have seen have had flat rather than round pins, machined block hinges and the retaining hook on a circular base pad. (In other words, the same as their U-Boat badges) The "furniture" on this badge isn't like any I've seen on badges made by this firm.

The font for the marking is not the same as on regular L/18 badges either.

The badge itself looks well made and correct to the period, but I'm not convinced it was made by this firm.

• 3 weeks later...