News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Please Share Your Bismarck Era Medals and Militaria

Minister Bismarck was in office from 1862 until his dismissal by Wilhelm II in 1890. During his time in service, he initiated several wars with the ulterior motive of unifying Germany. The most famous of these were the Austro-Prussian War of 1866 and the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/1(both of which also assisted in the unification of Italy).

Lets see your medals, militaria, and groupings!

I don't want to split hairs, but technically the French declared war on Prussia in 1870.

Irishgunner, those are some great items. I dont see too many of the Schleswig-Holstein Medals. Also, those are the first era Wehrpasses I have ever seen.

Yes, but Bismarck purposely instigated it. In my mind, I had the Prussians starting it through their manipulation and calculation. Sorry for my misnomer. Regardless, lets see your stuff! :-)

Sadly, these are my only two pieces. I would love to find a veteran's bar that contains all three!

Paul, you do have a point there, if you know the history of the Bad Ems dispatch. Anyway, here is a medal bar from Oberleutnant Mueller of the Feldartillerie. I like this one because the guy died in 1896, so no bars or oakleaves or Centenary Medal to mess it up. I also like the old style back without cloth. Unfortunately, I only got the bar, the award medals and documents wound up with a collector in Bavaria who actually called me to try and get the bar, but we couldn't come to terms. If anyone has more info on Mueller, I'd love to hear it.

Hi Vince,

I did not know the details of the Ems Dispatch until you mentioned it. After looking it up, it makes me really respect Bismarck even more as a political spin doctor! He knew that the translation of the title given to the ambassador would be misinterpreted by the French, while having complete deniability from his side. Wow.

Your bar is exactly the type I would love to have for my collection. Your man saw it all. Did he receive the EK1 as well? What was his rank when he departed the service? Oberlt?

Jason, I love your bar very much as well. Not only was he present for much of the German unification process, he also spent a lot of time outside of Germany. Do you know anything about his background? I would love to see your other pieces as well, if possible.

Rujab, that lapel chain of yours is stellar. With the Centennial Medal, he had at least 36 years of service!

Was the Centennial Medal awarded to retirees, or only active duty folks?

Hi Vince,

I did not know the details of the Ems Dispatch until you mentioned it. After looking it up, it makes me really respect Bismarck even more as a political spin doctor! He knew that the translation of the title given to the ambassador would be misinterpreted by the French, while having complete deniability from his side. Wow.

Your bar is exactly the type I would love to have for my collection. Your man saw it all. Did he receive the EK1 as well? What was his rank when he departed the service? Oberlt?

Jason, I love your bar very much as well. Not only was he present for much of the German unification process, he also spent a lot of time outside of Germany. Do you know anything about his background? I would love to see your other pieces as well, if possible.

Rujab, that lapel chain of yours is stellar. With the Centennial Medal, he had at least 36 years of service!

Was the Centennial Medal awarded to retirees, or only active duty folks?

Auch die Rentner............

So retirees only?

Paul,

No, the veterans of 64, 66, 70/71 plus all on active service in the Prussian Army at the time of bestowal. Other odds and sods including the Berliner Schutzmannschaft, non Prussian units serving in Alsace-Lorraine, those involved in the construction of the Kaiser-Wilhelm Memorial etc, etc also got it.

Regards

Glenn

If anyone has more info on Mueller, I'd love to hear it.

Vince,

A pretty common name! However, just four artillery Lieutenants with the name Müller had just an EK2 as their sole listed decoration in the 1871 Rangliste. Two of those were Fortress Artillery types which leaves one in the 7. and one in the 8. Artillerie-Brigade. FAR 7 served at both Düppel and Alsen so I would tend towards the then Sekonde-Lieutenant Louis Müller of FAR 7. Do you have any further Information as to the unit he was serving in?

Regards

Glenn

Also an Award for 1870/71:
    Erinnerungsfahnenband 1895, this awarded to the flag of Landwehr-Bataillon Ruppin.
    Battlehonors where always in chronological order, starting at the lower end of the ribbon,

Regards Markus

Edited by NavalMark

Over 600 ribbons with approx. 580 different battlehonors were awarded in 1895 to the flags of Bataillons (Infantry, Jäger, Pioniere) or regimental-Standards (cavalry) or regimental flags (artilleriy).

Here is an other one. 2nd Bataillion 1. Badisches Leib-Grenadier-Regiment (Inf,Rgt. Nr. 109).

Typical Baden-combination, starting with the siege of Strassburg.

Regards Markus