News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Box Of WW2 items from the Veteran

Mike

I had a visitor today ...just as I was walking out the door , an older Gent came in and asked if I was Mike . He had just come from the VA Hospital where someone told him that I would be interested in his "box" so (luckily for me) he looked me up.

He served with the 35th Inf Div and was wounded in St. Lo about 1 month after the initial Landings.

The older I get ...and the older our Veterans get ...this hobby is developing a new perspective for me , something I never really dealt with back in the 60's. It's sad to see how many of them have accepted the inevitable and worry now about where their "treasures" will end up once they're gone ..they want them preserved, cared for ...and saved.

I coined a phrase that really fits the way things are. We are nothing more than Collectors of "Borrowed Memories" ..most of these Veterans never wrote a book about what they lived through. But the items and the stories they share with us , the Military Collectors , in a large way ...keep their "Memories" alive.

Ok Ok ..enough of the deep stuff

Here's the Box .. :jumping:

He said these belonged to his Grandfather ..who was in the German Army and came to the US in 1920 ..looks like a mini House Order , I'll have to ask him what happened to Grandpa's other Awards :unsure:

Edited by Mike

He told me they sent him (and a few others from his unit) through Ranger School but ..he was not picked for the "D Day show" . He said this Trench Knife was issued to him and ..he kept it.

Now HERE's the Jewel ...what a score :jumping:

He said they were given these when they landed because of the confusion that still existed ..he said they came in handy while on Patrol.

The Books say they were all brass ....well ...here's an original guys , and right from the Vet

I'd love to hear one of the "Experts" explain this.

I asked him to write me a letter explaining as much as he can remember about his tour ..I hope he does

I offered to pay him ..I took out my cash and he got upset. He said it meant more to him knowing that his few items were appreciated and were in good hands. He refused to take any money.

I have not decided what I'm going to do yet ...maybe a gift Certificate for Dinner at a Restaurant close to them and ..maybe Flowers for his Wife ..I'll think of something.

He had a friend who worked for a Company that made Military badges and pins during the War ...his pal gave him these 2 pins ..they were never finshed but ..still very real and great examples.

Edited by Mike

Thanks guys ....There's something about having and Old Veteran walk up to you with a Shoe Box :jumping: ..you don't know what to expect !

I've seen several examples of the "Cricket" clickers before , many had a bug/cricket design (some even had wings). I don't doubt that the Gov had some made for them but ..I bet the Army went to some Toy Companies back then and just bought what they had on hand as well.

Is that mini with the EK a House Order of some kind ?

nice stuff!

the mini is the z?hringer lion order from baden in the grade of knight 2nd class.

christian

Thanks Christian ..I'll have to give him a call to see what I can find out about Grampa now

Great story and what a nice little group. I'd definately do something nice for him.... probably the very best thing you could do would be to go and visit and listen. I think that would be the thing he needs the most. Just someone to listen...

Great story and what a nice little group. I'd definately do something nice for him.... probably the very best thing you could do would be to go and visit and listen. I think that would be the thing he needs the most. Just someone to listen...

You're right ..he kept saying "I'm sorry" and asking if he was taking up too much of my time ..he wanted to talk and , I showed him my room and the flood gates opened ..the memories were flowing. He asked me about some guys he captured near St Lo ...he said they pleaded with him not to shoot because they were not German , but they were wearing German Uniforms. He was told they were "Contractors" hired by the German Army ...I told him about Vassov and the "POA" guys , he was shocked. He said some of them looked Asian so , it made sense. .."I've wondered about those guys for the last 60 years ..thanks for explaining that to me"

It's nice knowing that we Collectors can provide "missing " puzzle pieces to the Soldiers who lived through it.

If you ever make it to NY ..I'll introduce you to him.

And, if possible and if it is OK with him, plop a small portable sound recorder (I used to say "tape", but now the best are all-electronic) down in front of him. Preserve his words as well as his goodies! Not too long from now, it is all there'll be.

Guest Rick Research

Pass on to him our regards and well wishes.

Those of us who do not collect for "investment" and "retail" VALUE our stewardship of a now fading past far more than any intrinsic value.

Baden is one of the best documented German states. Anyone who received a pre-war Z?hringen Lion would have been of the "officer" class, whether civil service or active duty military. The rolls of their wartime decorations are published, so even a reserve officer with that EK1 will show up in the relevant grade of wartime Z?hringen Lion, with date and unit when awarded.

WHO in God's name thinks the clickers were brass? :banger: Try clicking brass and it will BEND-- silently. :speechless::cheeky: Only steel has that "snap." I remember annoying little bugs like this as give aways with children's shoes into the 1960s. Drove our mothers insane before they inevitably (and perhaps deliberately) cracked and broke.

My great uncle Walter was killed outside St. L? with the 2nd Infantry Division. The "contractors" were probably Ostbataillon "volunteers." There were no Vlasov units in Normandy, but the random "Eastern volunteer" support battalions WERE there embedded in German units. The same sort of confusion over uniforms often arises with vets who regard all Panzer troops as having been "SS" because of their black uniforms and skull collar tabs (only army), and many a fellow has proudly told me of how they beat up some "SS" guy in a black uniform with a sleeve eagle only to be told that they had actually hammered some poor slob in the Railways. How nice for us that we can "correct" those who were there. :blush:

Thank God it was them and not us! They were giants in those days, before the decline. What we can do is remember them and honor them. Tell him we will ALWAYS Look Up to them!

Hi Rick ..He had no idea there were any volunteer units from other Country's fighting or working for the Germans ..the whole concept floored him.

And as far as how our "boys " were confused about the Uniforms etc ...I must have 10 Signal Blitz patches (with the Lightning bolt) that were given to me by 10 different Vets while I was a kid ...each time the Vet would start out with "Hey Kid , would you like to have an SS patch for your collection?" I guess being in a Signals Unit and getting captured wasn't that safe either :blush:

As far as the RR guys ...there's a TD Vet that drops by now and then ..the first time he saw my collection, he walked in the room and focused on the RB Uniform ..he said " Everytime I think of those RR guys I feel sad ..it still bothers me "

I asked him how he could possibly know that it was a RR Uniform after 60 years ?

He said .. " We didn't know they were RR , we thought they were some sort of National Guard so ..we always shot at them ...but finally they told us not to shoot at them because they were RailRoad Conductors etc "

Funny how even after 60 years ..he remembered that uniform

BTW ..here's the brass cricket that many think was the only "official" style used ..the body is all Brass but the clicker part is steel

Ed ...that's a great idea , when I do meet up with him again I think you're right , I'll record it. I'll also have him come by our Mess Hall to have Dinner with the Troops ..we have an Inf Unit coming in next month , I think he'd love that.

I'm also going to print some of this thread out and give it to him , he'd appreciate seeing it...you guys are great !

Edited by Mike

Great story, Mike. Its good, that he knows, someone is actually interested and cares for his goodies. Please Let him know, that there are still (also younger) germans out there, who appreciate, that these men risked their life for freedom.

all the best,

Gerd