News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

3rd class Cross of Liberty with Red Cross 1939

• 7 months later...

My grandmother was awarded this medal. Naturally, I am very curious to know more about it and you all seem so knowledgeable.

I am not sure if a certificate exists, is that important, or not so much? Thanks in advance.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

Hello Ulrica!

Beautiful 3rd class libertycross!

Was your grandmother from Finland or was she a volunteer?

These liberty crosses with red cross in the center was awarded to doctors, nurses and for medical merits during the winter war of 1939.

An original award certificate makes the lot worth more money since the few awarded (48) pieces.

Interesting! 

I don’t know how many of these crosses that was awarded to non-finns. 

Do you have her other medals too? 

There should atleast be a winter war medal for foreigners. 

If you wonder anything else, just let me know and i’ll try to help. 

Here is the pictures.

The winter war medal (TsMM) exists in four different versions for foreigners.
    Iron - Awarded about 10 000 times
    Bronze - Awarded 1961 times
    Silver - Awarded 42 times
    Gold - Awarded 7 times

Your grandmother should have been awarded a iron medal. Bronze and silver was given to people who helped Finland with recruiting, propaganda and stuff like that. And people who helped with fundraising.

Gold was only awarded to heads of state and similar. They are impossible to obtain for a collector. Silver is very difficult to find.

The difference between the medals awarded to foreigners and the ones awarded to Finns is the reverse. And also the size, the foreign one´s is a bit larger. Finnish medals have the text "Kunnia Isänmaa" which translates to "Honor Fatherland"

Please see pictures. The medal exists with different clasps and swords if the awardee have been under enemy fire.

This medal is with the original award bag.

Vinterkrigets_Minnesmedalj_Med_Påse.JPG

TsMM Iron Back.JPG

Bronze medal. The ring on the ribbon is a owner made thing. Not original.

TsMM Bronze Front.JPG

TsMM Bronze Back.JPG

And a silver one. Unfortunately this is only an official museum copy. Made for a finnish museum.
    But I have a real hallmarked medal on the way. :) One of the 42 awarded....

TsMM Silver Front.JPG

TsMM Silver Back.JPG

I also have this prototype medal from the designer of the medal, Aarno Karimo. It exists 15 different clasps on the Finnish medals. Just let me know if ýou want pictures. I have them all.

TsMM Prototype Front.JPG

TsMM Prototype Back.JPG

Thank you so much, if she was awarded any of those, I haven't got it. They are amazing.

From what I heard, she helped with fundraising as a volunteer (article in a Portuguese newspaper at the time), and maybe something else.

My grandfather and her were Mannerheim's good friends, maybe after she was awarded the medal, who knows. We have several of his letters (with his face on the stamp :) )and photographs. All in French, of course. Thank you, JohanH, that was very enlightening.

That is very interesting!

May I see some pictures of the medals and stuff you have?
    If you don´t want to post it here you can PM me.

And of course, if you want to sell anything. Just let me know... :)

Great!

I´m looking forward to see it.

Medalgroups and medals with a history is very interesting. Especially if they have letters from the greatest finn ever. Mannerheim.
    Who is actually a distant relative to me. :)

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I tried to send by PM, but it didn't allow me to post the pictures.

As you are a Suede, there is no need to translate the writing.

Letters and photos are not with me, I will have to go through them and hopefully find the certificate :)

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_4521.jpg

IMG_4522.jpg

IMG_4523.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

Edited by Ulrica
    spelling

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

What a collection of medals! Amazing!

It must be worth several thousands euro.

The signed books is also very nice! It´s a bit hard to find stuff signed by Mannerheim.
    I have been looking for a autograph of him for some time. But no luck.

• 2 months later...
    On 24/05/2018 at 18:38, Ulrica said:

My grandmother was awarded this medal. Naturally, I am very curious to know more about it and you all seem so knowledgeable.

I am not sure if a certificate exists, is that important, or not so much? Thanks in advance.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3896.jpg

Really nice looking! I might be unpolite but if you ever consider selling it I am interested in.