News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Of course I would have jumped on this..... but I held back because these Hartpappe backings are usually associated with Prewar pics, not late war ones..... Then I saw he has sold rare Freikorps ones on cardboard backings as well...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Totenkopf-Garde-Pionier-Flammenwerfer-Abzeichen-Stahlhelm-Hartpappfoto-CDV/263408724812?hash=item3d54622b4c:g:38YAAOSwng5aPAm1

What do you guys think? Original, or Postwar pic legitimised with prewar hartpappe backing?

I have some "Hartpappe backing" photographs from during and after the war but they all without exception have the photographers studio embossed or printed on the cardboard. Also the cardboard is a different type.

The cardboard backing on the eBay photograph is not legit IMO. I believe it is a modern copy.

Edited by Naxos

Hi,

the real photo postcard was offered from around the late 1890s by some and then increasing numbers of German photo-studios. From 1914 on most studio had replaced CDVs, CABs etc. with RPPCs. However, some studios still used them till the 1920s (as shown above), in other countries even to the 30s, especially in rural areas. But these are fairly rare.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

I thought to buy it, but 39€ and the absence of knowledge, if it is an original one made me to choose against the photo.

To me it´s strange, that a lot of expensive or very rare photos don´t have any writings or stamps on their reverses.

But that´s just my guess...

And I don´t need another skullhead photo, because I´ve got another one :P !

Garde-Res.Pi.Rgt. (Flammenwerfer, Totenkopf).JPG

So, on the ebay fotos. Is the image an original or reprint from a period negative? With real ones going for upwards of 100e or more it would still be a good choice if you are studying variations of the TK.

53 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

I think nowdays you can just scan an original and go down to a drugstore and have a print in less than a minute... or a hobby photographer can have it on old paper in his basement lab

Yes but then you still need to age it. All that trouble won't justify 20 or 30 euro, unless they don't want to make a profit ;)

43 minutes ago, ErwinZ said:

Yes but then you still need to age it. All that trouble won't justify 20 or 30 euro, unless they don't want to make a profit ;)

Hi,

Some years ago there was a guy selling large amounts of Tank and airplane photos on ebay. in those days you could see what people were buying and selling by their feedback. in his case it was page after page of rare photos... a guy pointed out that waaaaaaay back in his ebay feedback he had been buying vintage blank photo paper and special chemicals to age photos (it is commercially available) ... it was the forum joke of the week... The hardest part of a Photo to get well done is probably the backside.... what easier way to hide it than glue it onto cardboard from old wedding photos,,,,

Hi,

the Card backing is the easiest thing in the world.... by a box of 500 old photos for EUR50 and you will probably have 50 or so on card backings, remove the photo of the boy playing with a sailing boat and add one with a copy of a guy with a FW sleeve badge... price it cheap so it sells fast... and bobs your aunt.

• 2 months later...

Yes. This fakery  has been going on for a while-the technique is common for US Civil War CDVs and has been since the 1970s. I was shown Confederate CDV  fakes in 1975.

Bartko Rehrer was the guy who bought the old paper and reprinted photos. i have an original of a freikorps chap with a dog -and three slightly fuzzy copies of the same picture. I think Dave Danner gave me one of them. 

• 4 weeks later...