News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Knights cross - original or fake

In my opinion It' actually looks more like an EKII converted to a RK at some point, the difficulty is knowing when it was done, quite a simple job, it could have been done during the war or it could have been done 6 months ago from "Period" parts, unless you have full "Provenance" you'll never know, sorry

regards

Alex

7 hours ago, Alex K said:

looks more like an EKII converted to a RK at some point,

Yeah, that's exactly what it is; an EK2.  RK had the suspension loop parallel to the frame, EK2 loops are perpendicular (see image).  That's not to say it wasn't worn that way (as a RK); there were instances of that happening in WW2.  But unless there is some seriously solid provenance proving that it's just an EK2

3REKs.jpg

9 minutes ago, Eric Gaumann said:

Yeah, that's exactly what it is; an EK2.  RK had the suspension loop parallel to the frame, EK2 loops are perpendicular (see image).  That's not to say it wasn't worn that way (as a RK); there were instances of that happening in WW2.  But unless there is some seriously solid provenance proving that it's just an EK2

3REKs.jpg

Agreed, they certainly were worn that way during the war, normally by those that had received their preliminary notification, but not their actual award, or those that chose not to have their award damaged in combat, normally there would be some evidence of wear either on the medal itself, or on the ribbon, press studs, ribbon ties etc, the one originally posted doesn't seem to show any of such examples, so it's anyone guess when it became a Pseudo RK in my opinion

regards

Alex

Thanks for all your opinions. This medal is for sale along with an award certificate for a knights cross. If the certificate is genuine it is probably worth more than the medal. If the award certificate is real there is still no proof that it has anything to do with the modified ek1. My search for a genuine rk will continue. Thanks again

• 2 months later...

wasn't using a I-C 2sd substituted for a RC in the field many times when no RC was to be had? then presented with the correct RC award when back home? 

On 20/02/2019 at 16:20, Alex K said:

In my opinion It' actually looks more like an EKII converted to a RK at some point, the difficulty is knowing when it was done, quite a simple job, it could have been done during the war or it could have been done 6 months ago from "Period" parts, unless you have full "Provenance" you'll never know, sorry

regards

Alex

Hi  Toot,

Yes, that was the practice on the field, however unless the items come directly from the family with a very strong "Provenance ( better with Photo of the awarded person wearing the converted EK2)' then the door is wide open for speculations.

Because the "converted' EK2 to RK demands bigger price it is quite temping for certain people to do so now and claim that it is a period conversion. I even would not trust "reputable" dealers because even they can be tricked or worse knowingly selling such item as "period conversion"

• 6 months later...
    5 hours ago, toot said:

are EK2'S FIELD ISSUED AS KNIGHT CROSSES CONSIDERED AS KNIGHT CROSSES?

They weren't issued as such.  They were just placeholders worn until the real award was presented.  The wearer was treated (I assume) as a real RKT.  Are they considered RKs now? No, although it's debatable.  If one could find such an example (EK2 as RK) with 100% undeniable proof of it's authenticity then you could own/display/sell it as an 'EK2 worn as a RK'.  But it's still not a RK.

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I found this EK2 conversion into a RK. But after I read all the previous information, before buying it I'd like to know your opinions about it. This example is ceirtanly a better produced example than other I've seen, the loop was carefully changed to seem like a RK loop. 

Any help will be appreciate. Thanks.

Screenshot_20220112-150211_todocoleccion.jpg

Screenshot_20220112-150219_todocoleccion.jpg

Yes I know, as long as we don't have any document or photo. But it think the cross itself is a nice example, I don't want to spend mony excessively buying this medal.  Do you know in wich prices rangos these medals oscillate ?

On 15/01/2022 at 17:54, Alex K said:

I would say the price of a messed with ek2, without rock solid provenance as wartime produced and worn, its value is whatever you want to pay for it in my opinion, sorry 

I agree Any conversion could be war time or made recently

The question is if the collector wants to have it or not.