I’m one of those weirdos who thinks  Khedive’s Star medals are pretty cool, mainly because of the regimental particulars one might find marked on them.  Here’s a recent find...

DFD338BE-18A1-4291-A550-F878A1D55CC8.jpeg

E8EAFA34-AA4A-4523-BBD3-F1D075835B1E.jpeg

Great find.  I've always had a soft spot for the 19th, as their predecessors, the 19th Light Dragoons, served in Canada during the War of 1812.  I have an Egypt Medal to the 19th, bought as a no-clasp.  My researcher found that he was entitled to Tel-el-Kebir, and when the rolls became available online, I discovered he also had Suakin 1884 and El Teb.  I added the Tel-el-Kebir clasp, but doubt I can afford the other two, El Teb as a single being scarce.  No papers found, so not clear why he missed Tamaii.

P6070007.JPG

Nice medal!  I agree as regards the 19th.  A very interesting unit, especially in this campaign.  

His name was Joseph Silvester Gibbons. Born 1857 Paddington,Middlesex.  Enlisted 1875 age 18. Served with the 19th hussars. Regimental Number 1549.

The regiment saw action at Battle of Tel el-Kebir in September 1882 during the Anglo-Egyptian War and the regiment took possession of the wells, which were a vital resource in desert warfare, at the Battle of Abu Klea in January 1885 during the Mahdist War.

Married with Ester Gibbons. They had 4 children. He died in Fulham, London 1895.

Gibbons.jpg

Gibbons2.jpg

Gibbons3.jpg

38 minutes ago, Noor said:

His name was Joseph Silvester Gibbons. Born 1857 Paddington,Middlesex.  Enlisted 1875 age 18. Served with the 19th hussars. Regimental Number 1549.

The regiment saw action at Battle of Tel el-Kebir in September 1882 during the Anglo-Egyptian War and the regiment took possession of the wells, which were a vital resource in desert warfare, at the Battle of Abu Klea in January 1885 during the Mahdist War.

Married with Ester Gibbons. They had 4 children. He died in Fulham, London 1895.

Gibbons.jpg

Gibbons2.jpg

Gibbons3.jpg

Excellent stuff!!  Thanks a million!  Looks like he died young, sadly.  Am I reading that last bit right?  “Mother in possession of Egypt/1882/etc”...???

Its just zoomed in part of the roll to read better. It says "neither in possession of 1882 or 1884 medal. Underneath you can see he had 1882 issue...

Gibbons3b.jpg

There is actually his family tree up on Ancestry with more details. Also 1891 census lists him as living in the hussars barracks... he may had some type of job there after the years with the colours.

Understood...  great detail though!