News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General in three armies

I would kindly ask for help.

On those those two pictures we can see Anto Gvozdenović, general in Russian, Montenegro and French army, and the last Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Montenegro. 

I would like to know if any of you can help me to identify his decorations. He was grandfather of my father's wife. One of the stars is a Order of Danilo. The order around the neck is Order of St Vladimir. And that's all I can do with certainty.

I can't even identify one of the uniforms.

gengvoz.jpg

Anto_Gvozdenović.jpg

2019-08-16_09-31-46.jpg.0e8a5db1cb7ffd4dc225a0f90f7f71f7.jpg

In the second photo, the medal first from the left, a Vladimir with swords? The second from the left looks like the Order of Danilo 5th Class but surely that can't be right for someone of his status, can it? I wonder if the star, bottom right, is the Italian Order of the Crown.

This enlargement of the first photo might help someone in identifying some of the medals.

2019-08-16_09-39-27.jpg.ae402e638f8eae3a99ca2dce2c273b62.jpg

Many thanks Trooper_D

Yes, you are right. He is wearing Order of Danilo V class, as well as Order of Danilo I class set, which is one of three breast stars on the second picture. The other should be of Italian order of the Crown.

Third medal could be French LH, and the last Montenegro Medal of Obilić.

On the first picture, I can't even identify the ribbon sash he is wearing

Edited by Daffy Duck

17 hours ago, Daffy Duck said:

I would kindly ask for help.

On those those two pictures we can see Anto Gvozdenović, general in Russian, Montenegro and French army, and the last Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Montenegro. 

I would like to know if any of you can help me to identify his decorations. He was grandfather of my father's wife. One of the stars is a Order of Danilo. The order around the neck is Order of St Vladimir. And that's all I can do with certainty.

I can't even identify one of the uniforms.

gengvoz.jpg

Anto_Gvozdenović.jpg

This is a Montenegrin General uniform . very russian style .but note the  badge on the peaked cap that was characteristic .the uniform is the  M 1910 service uniform for Generals and Officers . he wears also laced ankle boots with leggings common practice in the major part of the Armies but very rare in the Russian Army

• 4 weeks later...

It is easier with the second photo. The decorations on the ribbons may be as follows:

• Russian Order of St. Vladimir 4th Class with swords
    • Montenegran Order of Danilo 5th Class
    • Russian Order of St. Anne 3rd Class with swords
    • Russian Order of St. Stanislas 3rd Class with swords
    • Montenegran Obilich Medal (?)

The neck decoration is probably the Russian Order of St. Vladimir 3rd Class

The stars are from:

• Montenegran Order of Danilo
    • Russian Order of St. Stanislas
    • Italian Order of the Crown

The photo seems to be after somebody's funeral (black armband). If we could find out whose, we could date it.

16 hours ago, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

The photo seems to be after somebody's funeral (black armband). If we could find out whose, we could date it.

It transpires that the US Library of Congress has a copy of this photo in their collection, the details of which suggest (not necessarily correctly) that it was taken between 1915 and 1920. Here is the link,

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2014707821/

The tiff photo which can be downloaded from this link is of a higher definition than we have seen before. I don't think that they add a great deal to the investigation but I am posting below two extracts from the original which are of a better quality than the enlargement I originally posted.

2019-09-14_12-03-50a.jpg.56f7a5923fdf34ac560805ae95d22d5a.jpg

image.png

2019-09-14_12-03-50b.jpg

[for some reason, I can't delete the double posted image :(  ]

Edited by Trooper_D

• 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen,

A high italian award (ie Order of the Crown Grand Cross), on a Monténégro General make sense, one of the daughter of King Nicolas 1st of Monténégro ( Helena ), was the wife of King Vittorio Emanuele III from Italy.

For the St Stanislas, on the last photo, it's clear, it was the Military Division of the Order of St Stanislas (with Swords).

Regards.

Emmanuel