News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Orders, Medals and Badges

• Replies 196
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor little dude has definitely been there and done that... but I love underdogs like this one which shout out... "If only I could talk... the stories I could tell!"

Many thanks to Auke for making this one happen! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi all,

My latest... and seventh Order of the Red Star:

post-873-1245690310_thumb.jpg

post-873-1245690316_thumb.jpg

Serial number: 3183371

They're finally taking a hint from my OGPW's and starting to breed. :P:beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

• 2 months later...

Nearly forgot... my 20th OGPW: beer.gif

post-873-1245691659_thumb.jpg

post-873-1245691667_thumb.jpg

Serial number: 3246929

Dan cheers.gif

Hi!

If you are still in need of a 'Hero of Motherhood', there is a splendid example on offer right now at Liverpool Medals.

It be a cool £225! I think this a good price really; they also have a document for the same Order, but not this particular example being offered though.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!

If you are still in need of a 'Hero of Motherhood', there is a splendid example on offer right now at Liverpool Medals.

It be a cool £225! I think this a good price really; they also have a document for the same Order, but not this particular example being offered though.

Hi Bifter,

Sorry for the late reply to this but somehow it fell through the cracks and I didn't see it till now. I deeply appreciate the info but sadly a bit out of my range for now. But I do still hope to get a real one some day.

Thanks!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

My latest... a gift from my better half.love.giflove.giflove.giflove.gif

Serial number: 2107536

The pics are the sellers... I'll scan and post better pics once I have it in hand.

This makes number eight and counting. I'll have to do a family shot at some point but hoping they'll breed just a bit more and hit the big number ten before too much longer.jumping.gifjumping.gifbeer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Hi all. Went over and picked up the Order in Fargo on Monday. It originally came with a bunch of Enfield rifle parts... there's got to be a story with that. Out of an auction from what I understand. Sure wish I'd been there and seen if there were any more such goodies mixed in with the other bits.rolleyes.gif

Anyhow it kind of threw me when I first laid eyes on it. The red enameling is definitely hot enamel, the central medallion detailed and correct from what I could/can tell. The back looks a bit rough but I'd looked at tons of others on here before going to get it and seen others that looked similar. The mint mark and serial number looks correct. I'm assuming it's one of the MVPP's (Moskovskiy Zavod Platino Pribor) with the smaller mint mark and odd looking serial number engraving.

But on first inspection it had what looked like silver runover onto the red enamel around the edges of the arms of the star. I asked the owners permission to try carefully seeing if any of it could be removed with a pocket knife and he had no problem... offering his knife to do so. Sure enough it was silver paint!speechless1.gif Go figure!speechless.gif I've no earthly idea why someone would have wanted to put any silver paint on one of these. I managed to pretty much get it all off and then it looked much better. I also had my red and green bibles with me and nothing else really raised any red alerts/Kirk to the bridge feelings so I decided to go for it. The price was definitely right and not only did I save a few bucks by picking it up but the gentleman who was selling it insisted on taking $4 less... so I figured I couldn't go far wrong with it.

Upon getting home and using my loop... which I felt stupid not having taken with me in the first placespeechless.gif I saw what appears to be a mint error on the medallion which you'll see in the upper part of the inscription above the head and rifle of the soldier. A small section of the inner border is mssing and it seems to have affected the letters to a small degree. Perhaps some grease filled in part of the die or something.

Anyhow I hope I did okay with this one. I kind of feel that I'm getting way too paranoid in checking out these potential purchases and feel this is probably just fine. But in this day and age I guess one can never be too careful. But as always opinions are most welcome.jumping.gif

And now... without further ado... the picture show:

I just realized you can see just a bit of the silver paint on the left base of the upper arm of the star.

Edited by Hauptman

Nice. It's indeed an MZPP order. Die errors seem to be not that uncommon on Red Stars.

Hi Ferdinand. Whew! So glad it's good!jumping.gifjumping.gif I was 99% positive but there was just that little nagging doubt. So good to have it confirmed!biggrin.gif

Thanks so much for setting my mind at ease on this one.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Any ideas on the date range this one would fall into? Using the green bible I'm thinking 1944/45 range? But hoping one of you can perhaps narrow things down a bit. Also is this a good candidate for research?

Will keep my fingers crossed.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Guest Rick Research

Well, spring of 1945 so it's a "real" one for "something" and not long service...

but you never know until you get the results back what you'll get. :catjava:

Thanks Rick!cheers.gif I've definitely got to start getting my stuff researched soon. Hopefully after Christmas I can jump into the deep end of the pool.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Well, I just came by another one. Serial number 3105987. Does this one fall into the 1953 long service awards?unsure.gif

Sadly with some enamel damage but the price was right and I do love the underdogs!tongue.gif And they also seem to have some of the most interesting stories behind them.

Pictures are from the seller (Vladimir Shifrin in Israel). So it'll probably be a bit before I have it in hand.

Number 9 and counting!jumping.gifjumping.gifbeer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

• 2 weeks later...

Well... finally reached the big number 10!jumping.gifjumping.gif Here's my latest addition... again a bit of damage but one never knows the interesting stories that may lie hidden there. It's definitely been there and done that. If only they could talk... but as soon as I start to dive into researching I'm hoping it will.