News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Orders, Medals and Badges

• Replies 196
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another 30th Anniversary of the Red Army medal. Again a very salty, vet worn look which is what I love! These both look like they've been there, done that... and if only they could talk the things they've seen!jumping.gifjumping.gif

Silver rings silver soldered to the medals in their proper position as well as the attachment rings having their joints silver soldered. Sadly due to the heat the original enamel on the lettering came off so I had to restore those as well. New kolodkas and ribbons and I hope you'll agree their back to their original glory.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Silver rings silver soldered to the medals in their proper position as well as the attachment rings having their joints silver soldered. Sadly due to the heat the original enamel on the lettering came off so I had to restore those as well. New kolodkas and ribbons and I hope you'll agree their back to their original glory.beer.gif

How could you!!! :speechless1: :speechless1: :speechless1:

65 year old medals don't have to look brand new... They are so ugly now...

:( :( :(

I'm sorry you feel that way Auke. I knew that some members probably would. But I have to say that my intention was never to make them look "brand new". When I took them to a jeweler and discussed it with him, I showed him several other examples and asked if he could "repair" them by putting new silver rings back on as well as silver attachment rings soldered to make them solid at the joins. He did not mention that there was a risk of the medals losing their original enamel or in changing their colors or needing to be polished. My father used to silver solder back when I was in high school. He used a very small and precise torch and didn't tend to have that happen to items he was working on. So it simply did not occur to me.

When the jeweler called me and said they were done I went over and to be honest I was shocked to discover that all the enamel was gone and that they were now a white/gray color. He offered to polish them to remove that discoloration and at that point I didn't see much of a choice.

There are many examples of awards that were repaired for or by vets in order that they could wear them with pride. It was my intention, thinking along those lines, to restore them to give them back the honor they so richly deserve. Once faced with what happened at the jewelers I did the best I could with them. They will gain a new patina over time as all silver objects tend to do.

My intention was to honor them, not to harm them. I did not "mickey mouse" them in my garage but went to a professional jeweler to get it done right.

I went to no small trouble in doing this and felt I was doing it for the right reasons. Had this been combat damage or even if they'd only been missing (or partially) missing their enamel I'd have also left that alone. But in this instance I did, in my opinion, nothing less than someone who rescues an antique or classic car from a junk yard and restores same to all it's glory.

I'm truly sorry if I've in any way offended your or any other members sensibilities by doing this. But to be honest I like them better as they are now and will like them even more once they have regained a natural patina. The past owner also likes them now and feels I did well to restore them.

Also, they were posted in the sales section and anyone had the opportunity to purchase them. No one did so, so perhaps no one else felt they were deserving to be added to their collection or were not worth the bother when better pieces could be obtained. I personally like underdogs and to me these just needed some TLC and I'm proud to have them in my collection.

I realize full well that there are those who are totally against doing anything to anything old... period. And there are those who feel as I do. I don't really wish to rehash or debate that whole issue. For the most part I leave all my awards as I obtain them, regardless. But in this instance as well as an Imperial German black wound badge I felt the repair/restoration was called for.

Also please not the 30th Anniversary of the Red Army/Navy medals in my same thread. They look rather shabby and one even has thread used to help hold the ribbon together. I wanted them specifically because they have that been there/done that look. I have no intention of say polishing the medals, replacing the ribbons, etc. They are, in my eyes, perfect just the way they are. But if I found one as just the medal with no kolodka or ribbon I would have no problem replacing same as otherwise the medal is incomplete. And if I could obtain (for a reasonable amount) older, worn parts to make it whole and make it look as it should I would not hesitate to do so. If I can eventually find older mounts and ribbons for these I would happily replace the newer ones I've used for now.

Again my intention was to honor them and nothing else.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Well Dan,

Each to his own of course.

I do however disagree with this sort of restoration. Your point with the car is well taken of course but it somehow hardly seems to be the same thing to me. Perhaps I do not feel the same way about cars as I do about medals. Thing is, it would have been easier to simply sell the medals, or keep them and simply replace them, with two others having similar numbers and in better condition. Its called up-grading!

I think that each medal tells a story and sometimes, the condition it is in is part of the story. Its true that they may have no great intrinsic value, but whatever value they did has been ruined for most collectors as they now look more like fake bravery medals than restored originals.

I am sure that nobody here is "offended" - maybe just disappointed. And I am sure that those of us that do express such disappointment do so in the hope of convincing you that any restoration which is invasive should not be carried out. Its one thing to perhaps match a kolodka and or missing ribbon - its another to take a torch to a medal, heat it up (which will lead to discoloration of the base metal medal ruining the patina), as well as expansion and contraction of the medal itself (that will lead the enamel to cake out and fall off).

Having said that, we all may have screwed up in our enthusiasm to try to put things right and it is only from the lessons that we learn, that we know to do better the next time round. Thankfully these were bravery medals and not Lenins or ORBs....although a voice in my head still yells out that the story behind these Braveries may have been more interesting than a long service ORB or a OoL for collective farming.

Regards,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Number 10 (serial numbered that is)... and one non serial numbered and counting.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

Hello Dan,

Your medal should be awarded in spring 1945.

2.452.683 - 22.02.1945 - 14th Guards Rifle Division, 44. Guards Artillery Regiment (possible 14. Guards Rifle Corps, 2nd Belorussian Front).

regards

Andreas

Edited by Alfred

• 1 month later...

Very nice collection that you are puting together there, looks like your as hooked as I am on these beautiful Orders!

Kai cheers.gif

Hi Kai,

Many thanks! It's taken alot of years but been fun putting together. Looking forward to seeing your collection as well.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...