News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awards of Char. Konteradmiral Curt Kalau vom Hofe - Help needed

Hello, I need help with the awards of this interesting officer.

As you can see by the uniform he is wearing, he served in the Ottoman Navy. To be more precise, he was in Ottoman service from 1892 until 1903, and he reached the rank of Vice Admiral (Ferik Amiral) in the Ottoman Navy. He was a Naval Advisor and Wing Adjutant to Sultan Abdul Hamid II, an Association Leader and served as Ottoman Fleet Chief during the war with Greece in 1896/97.

Before the Ottoman service he was in the Kaiserliche Marine. He left the Kaiserliche Marine on 17 May 1892. After that he was given the Char. of a Kapitän zur See in 1894 and the Char. of a Konteradmiral in 1901.

The oldest Marine Rangliste I have is from 1894, so I can't check his awards.

But thankfully, I found a couple of his awards in the Excel Gesamtliste:

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 2. Klasse mit Eichenlaub (28. 11. 1898)

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 3. Klasse mit der Schleife

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 4. Klasse

- Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz

- Venezuelanischer Orden der Büste Bolivars ohne Klasse (awarded in 1880 when this order had only one class)

It's important to note that until 21 November 1888 his name was "Curt von Hoven", and on that date his family name was changed to "Kalau vom Hofe".

My first question is: Does anyone have additional info about his awards, and especially foreign awards? Perhaps his entry in the 1891 or 1892 Rangliste?

And secondly, I would be very thankful if you could help me identify the awards we can see on his photo.

1 Is this the Order of the Medjidie, and which Class?

2 Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 2. Klasse mit Eichenlaub (can you guys see the Oak Leaves above the cross?)

Venezuelanischer Orden der Büste Bolivars

4 Is this the Imtiyaz Medal? Number 5 also looks like the Imtiyaz Medal. So is it possible that this one is the version in Gold, and number 5 the version in Silver?

Is it also the Imtiyaz Medal (in Silver) or something else? Perhaps the Kaiserlich Türkische Verdienstmedaille vom Roten Halbmond (Medal of Merit of the Red Crescent, i.e. the Turkish "Red Cross"), which was a similar sized medal and had a similar ribbon colour/pattern that could look the same on a black and white photo?

Is this the Liakat Medal? And which class could it be, looking at Hofe's rank and Ottoman service, Silver or Gold?

Is it the Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz or something else? The "thing" above the cross throws me off, it looks like a crown.

Pretty sure this is the Königlich Preußische Kriegsdenkmünze für die Feldzüge 1870–71 für Kämpfer (Medal for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71)

This looks like the Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897. It's odd because he was in Ottoman service when this medal was being awarded (1897), but I guess he was eligible for it nevertheless?

10 Is this the Order of Osmaniye, and which Class?

11 Is this the Breast Star of the Order of the Medjidie he is wearing around the neck (number 1)? And which Class?

He is also wearing a sash. Can anyone determine to which order does the sash belong?

Thanks for any help!

95809164_649171195933271_7822672808084766720_n - Copy.jpg

2 minutes ago, P.F. said:

Interesting. 3, 8 & 9 look correct to me. Perhaps there is an "expert" on Turkish medals that could chip in here.

Thanks Pierce. Yes, I asked Demir, the host of the "Turkey" section for help. Let's wait and see if he can help with the Turkish decorations.

Hi,

1 Is this the Order of the Medjidie, and which Class?   YES it is 1st Class order of Mecidi - Breast star is no 11

When you have both 1st Class Osmani and Mecidi, 1 st Class Osmani sash is worn and an order hangs at the end of the sash under the arm. An order of the 1st class Mecidi is worn on the neck.

2 Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 2. Klasse mit Eichenlaub (can you guys see the Oak Leaves above the cross?)

Venezuelanischer Orden der Büste Bolivars

4 Is this the Imtiyaz Medal? Number 5 also looks like the Imtiyaz Medal. So is it possible that this one is the version in Gold, and number 5 the version in Silver?   YES I think so 4 Gold – 5 Silver

Is it also the Imtiyaz Medal (in Silver) or something else? Perhaps the Kaiserlich Türkische Verdienstmedaille vom Roten Halbmond (Medal of Merit of the Red Crescent, i.e. the Turkish "Red Cross"), which was a similar sized medal and had a similar ribbon colour/pattern that could look the same on a black and white photo?   IT IS SILVER IMTIYAZ (It can't be Medal of Glory&Pride and Industry because of the size, it is smaller then Imtiyaz). Suspension is also typical for IMTIYAZ.

Is this the Liakat Medal? And which class could it be, looking at Hofe's rank and Ottoman service, Silver or Gold?    It is Liyakat, they usually were awarded with IMTIYAZ. Suspension is also typical for Liyakat. It must be Silver Liyakat otherwise it should have been placed between the two Imtiyaz Medals, after Gold Imtiyaz. (If there were lines on the ribbon (4 red 3 green) then it would have been the Greek War Medal 1896, since he was at the Ottoman Court that time. But the Greek War suspension is totally different). 

Is it the Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz or something else? The "thing" above the cross throws me off, it looks like a crown.

Pretty sure this is the Königlich Preußische Kriegsdenkmünze für die Feldzüge 1870–71 für Kämpfer (Medal for the Franco-Prussian War of 1870/71)

This looks like the Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897. It's odd because he was in Ottoman service when this medal was being awarded (1897), but I guess he was eligible for it nevertheless?

10 Is this the Order of Osmaniye, and which Class?  1st Class Osmani

11 Is this the Breast Star of the Order of the Medjidie he is wearing around the neck (number 1)? And which Class?  1st class Mecidi and on the neck the order.

He is also wearing a sash. Can anyone determine to which order does the sash belong?  It looks like the Sash of the 1st Class Order of Osmani, because there are no other orders with breast star, only 1st Class Mecidi but Osmani outranks it.  There must be an order hanging at the end of the Sash under his left arm. Sash Green and red at the sides.

Best wishes

DEMIR

Edited by demir

Thank you very much Demir!

Regarding number 6 (the Liakat Medal). Do you have a guess regarding the Class, Silver or Gold? And you are sure it is the Liakat Medal, and not the Greek War Medal 1896 you mentioned?

It is Liyakat, they usually were awarded with IMTIYAZ. Suspension is also typical for Liyakat. It must be Silver Liyakat otherwise it should have been placed between the two Imtiyaz Medals, after Gold Imtiyaz. (If there were lines on the ribbon (4 red 3 green) then it would have been the Greek War Medal 1896, since he was at the Ottoman Court that time. But the Greek War suspension is totally different). 

Edited by demir

16 hours ago, P.F. said:

Interesting. 3, 8 & 9 look correct to me. Perhaps there is an "expert" on Turkish medals that could chip in here.

Pierce, what about number 7? Do you agree it's the Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz? The ribbon fits in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Pierce, what about number 7? Do you agree it's the Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz? The ribbon fits in my opinion.

It would fit and in the right place but I would like to hear some explanation for what appears to be a crown device.

Just looking at this photo again- perhaps No. 7 is the Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz.

What we see as a "Crown" may actually be the furl of the ribbon. The ribbon furl (at the bottom) appears to be in line with the medal next to it. 

Just a thought.