News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Duke of Connaught's medal

Can anyone identify what he was wearing second from right between the Egyptian Campaign Medal and the Khedive's Star? It must be one of his favorites as he seems to carrying it all the time - just like the Duke of Cambridge with his French and Sardinian Crimean medals.

Thanks

Elwyn

Connaught1.JPG

Connaught2.JPG

Connaught3.JPG

Connaught4.JPG

Edited by freiherr

Thanks. I know all of those. This one is not known to the link or to me. All pictures post 1882 as it was post Egypt obviously and the Duke was also awarded Prussian PLM in 1882.

Cheers

Depends when the photo was taken, but appears strongly to be the Baden war cross for volunteers  1914-16, a short time before king George v renounced his German name from saxe-coburg-gotha to Windsor and made all British royalty do the same, similarly with the plm. Until then many of the British royal family were liberally festooned with German royal family orders (sort of keeping it in the family), a prudent move as kaiser wilhelm his cousin had started bombing Britain with his new heavy bomber, unfortunately also named the "Gotha" 

regards

Edited by Alex K

Hahaha, 

Daniel always gets it right!

Took me a whole day before I found this marble bust of Connaught. It's the Hesse MVK indeed! His oldest sister Vicky was of course Kaiserin to Friedrich III. And father-in-law Friedrich Karl was Chef to Husaren Rgt Nr 3 and Connaught was à la suite. However, second sister Alice was Großherzogin of Hesse. So he got it from Ludwig IV. Supposed to be given to Franco Prussian war veterans but I guess good to be a VIP!

In this case Vanity Fair even got the colours of the ribbon somewhat correct!

Cheers

Connaught6.jpg

Connaught7.jpg

Connaught5.jpg

This is a reasonable depiction. The breast star of the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Star of India, the St Michael and St George breast star, and on the spange: R-L Ernestine House Order, Oldenburg Cross and the Greek Redeemer are all within reason.

I can't figure for the life of me what is the next to the Redeemer on the spange,  or the last one. The "continental old style" ribbon and what looks like a crown at the top of the round medal makes this unlikely to be a British medal.

Cheers

Connaught8.jpg

Edited by freiherr

On 30/06/2020 at 04:19, freiherr said:

I can't figure for the life of me what is the next to the Redeemer on the spange,  or the last one. The "continental old style" ribbon and what looks like a crown at the top of the round medal makes this unlikely to be a British medal.

It looks like either the Russian Order of St. Andrew (albeit it is seldom seen worn like that) or Russian Order of the White Eagle (more likely to be worn in that manner). Considering the Duke's status, I would vote for the first. I cannot figure out either, what the silver medal could be.

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

List of titles and honours of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
    220px-Duke_of_Connaught_and_Strathearn.j

Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn

This is a list of the titles and honours held by Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, a senior officer of the British Army, Governor General of Canada, and member of the British Royal Family as third son of Queen Victoria.

Name[edit]

On 22 June 1850 Prince Arthur was baptised in the Chapel at Buckingham Palace with the Christian names Arthur William Patrick Albert.[1] As a member of the Royal Family, he had no surname[2] until 17 July 1917, when a Royal Proclamation of King George V declared that all British descendants in the male line of Queen Victoria would bear the name of Windsor.[3]

Titles, styles and honours[edit]

Titles and styles[edit]

• 1 May 1850 – 24 May 1874: His Royal Highness The Prince Arthur
    • 24 May 1874 – 16 January 1942: His Royal Highness The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn

As a son of the sovereign, Arthur had the title of Prince and the style of Royal Highness from birth. The princely title had been used for sons of the sovereign since Tudor times[4] and was formalised by letters patent of 30 November 1917,[5] while the style of Royal Highness had been used since the Restoration[4] and was confirmed by letters patent of 3 February 1864.[6] Through his father, Prince Albert, he also bore the titles Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Duke of Saxony until 17 July 1917, when King George V discontinued the use of German titles.[3]

On 24 May 1874, Prince Arthur was created Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and Earl of Sussex,[7] in the Peerage of the United Kingdom.[8] As a duke of the Blood Royal, he had the formal style of Most High, Most Mighty, and Illustrious Prince Arthur William Patrick Albert, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and Earl of Sussex.[9]

Orders, decorations and medals[edit]

(ribbon bar, as it would look today; British decorations only)

Order of the Garter UK ribbon.png Order of the Thistle UK ribbon.png Ribbon bar Order of St. Patrick.jpg Order of the Bath UK ribbon.png

Ord.Stella.India.jpg UK Order St-Michael St-George ribbon.svg Order of the Indian Empire Ribbon.svg Royal Victorian Order ribbon sm.jpg

Order of the British Empire (Military) Ribbon.png Order of St John (UK) ribbon -vector.svg Canada General Service Medal BAR.svg Egypt Medal BAR.svg

Queen Victoria Golden Jubilee Medal ribbon.png Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Medal (military) ribbon.PNG King Edward VII Coronation Medal (Military) ribbon.png King George V Coronation Medal ribbon.png

GeorgeVSilverJubileum-ribbon.png GeorgeVICoronationRibbon.png Ribbon - Volunteer Officers' Decoration.png Ribbon - Efficiency Decoration (South Africa).png

British[edit]

The Duke was Bailiff of Egle from 1894[27]

Campaign medals

Long service medals

Foreign[edit]

300px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Prince_Arthur%2C_D

Variant of the arms of Prince Arthur as knight of the Spanish branch of the Golden Fleece and the Order of Charles III

Military[edit]

Ranks[edit]

220px-Prince_Arthur%2C_Duke_of_Connaught

The Duke of Connaught in Field Marshal's uniform, 1915

Honorary appointments[edit]

Personal Aide-de-Camp[edit]

Colonel of the Regiment[edit]

220px-Duke_of_Connaught_and_Strathearn_V

The Duke of Connaught as Colonel of the Scots Guards, 1890

Honorary Colonel[edit]

Colonel-in-Chief[edit]

Foreign military appointments[edit]

Civil[edit]

Privy Counsellor[edit]

Others[edit]

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2020 at 03:19, freiherr said:

This is a reasonable depiction. The breast star of the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Star of India, the St Michael and St George breast star, and on the spange: R-L Ernestine House Order, Oldenburg Cross and the Greek Redeemer are all within reason.

Cheers

Connaught8.jpg

The ribbon at least on the silver medal matches the Karl-Eduard wedding medal maybe the "crown" bit is artistic licence

Karl eduard wedding3.jpg

Edited by Alex K

37 minutes ago, Lukasz Gaszewski said:

I agree. Although the sequence of the decorations is a bit odd.

Royal prerogative maybe?" i'll wear what I want the way I want to" there could be an alternative in that both he and karl-eduard were saxe-coburg-gothas, as a family decoration, it took precedence, don't know

Edited by Alex K