News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A complete Godet sample set of all (25) 1870-71 War Medal battle clasps

The current discussion on how many battle clasps could be worn by an individual 1870/71 veteran reminded me of sharing images of this piece with you.

1.JPG

2.jpg

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Otherwise unpublished research of a member (CSForrester) of the German forum (SDA) confirms that the battle clasps with the typical dammage on the "E" were produced by Godet.

4.JPG

5.JPG

Edited by saxcob

I'm not too much into those battle clasps, but the Godet quality and the fact this is a full display set redeems everything! An absolutely amazing piece, without exaggeration of museum quality. Thanks for sharing, saxcob!

Very nice ... I saw some british museum pieces of medals with all battle clasps ... but never a german one (or "the" german one, as I believe there isn't any german medal with a comparable number of clasps ) 

this clasp thing seems to be a british thing, any information about its origins?  Is it known if the 1870-71 medal was inspired by the british medal system?

• 10 months later...
    On 30/10/2020 at 12:19, Utgardloki said:

this clasp thing seems to be a british thing, any information about its origins?  Is it known if the 1870-71 medal was inspired by the british medal system?

If we keep in mind the clasps didn't come until 1895, when Wilhelm II ruled, it's quite possible. I don't know, and I'm not sure if it is known at all, but it could well be possible. He was very close to Britain back then, after all!