News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe Collecting Reference Books

The purpose of this thread is to be a directory of the reference books that pertain to collecting Luftwaffe Uniforms, Insignia, Field Gear, Flags, and etc. If anyone has any books that are not pictured here, please post them here!

First I will start with Vol 1 of the Angolia series. From all of the books that I have, these are among the most commonly used. These books are rich in photographs, most of which are in black in white. The down sides of these books are the costs and availablity. They are very difficult to find(especially vol 2) and in most cases, very expensive when found.

Air Organizations of the Third Reich is a nice early reference(1972). It covers insignia, basic waffenfarbe system, as well as touching on the various auxillary units. A nice starter book. It has a lot of information without seeming too overbearing. A nice secondary reference book!

Here is the predecessor to the last book I posted(published in 1967).

Although it has the same title, it covers a lot of different areas.(while some topics are duplicated). Lots of colorized illustrations as well as plentiful B&W photos and tables. Something that makes this book one to get(for me anyway) is the coverage of the auxillary units of the Luftwaffe, Foreign Legions of the Luftwaffe, and other obscure little known of units. I dont know the rarity or value of this books as I have never heard of or seen another since receiving this one.

The next series I am to go over is written by Brian L Davis. This book was my mainstay until recently. These books are full of great information, that rivals the books written by Angolia. Other Pro's for this series include the fact that they are readily available and "wallet friendly".(despite being out of print!).

Just about all aspects of the Luftwaffe and it's auxillary organizations are covered in the two volumes.

These books are full of period photos(Black and white) as well as illustrations.

These books are definately a "must have" for any Luftwaffe uniform/insignia collector.

Here is volume 1.

...and Volume 2.

Now, I know that I do not yet have volume 3 in the Angolia series(yet) so if you do have a copy please post it. If there are any other reference books out there that cover this topic matter, please post them here!

Regards

Paul

• 2 months later...

Here is another great book I just picked up a few weeks ago. It covers it all... The history of the unit, the various uniforms and insignia, and even goes as far as to list all of the RK winners by name, date, and battle.

A very "to the point" reference book. IMHO, a nice companion book for the reference library.

In addition to most of the above, here is a two-volume set I've enjoyed. They're by Ewe Feist and Thomas McGuirl, Ryton Publications, first eds. came out in 1994. Both volumes are filled with period photos of aircrew-related subjects, KC winners, and some contemporary color photos of uniforms, flight clothing, and insignia/badges. About 150 pages each, and can be found for about $25 each.

Scott

Edited by Scott

I have never seen this series of books before(Luftwaffe Diary). I will have to look into them! Also, thanks for posting vol 3 in the Angolia series. Does this volume get into any details of insignia?

Thanks Scott!

Vol 3 delves into male & female auxiliary formations, misc. field equipment, gorgets, belt buckles, steel helmets, flying garments & equipment, small unit weapons, flags/standards, band formations, etc. Lots of very interesting odds & ends.

Scott

Edited by Scott

• 5 months later...
    • 2 months later...