News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help: Which Orders did my Ancestor Have?

This is going back awhile, but my ancestor Carl Sigismund Kunth (1788 Leipzig-1850 Berlin) is shown on an indistinct engraving wearing several orders. Does anyone have a Staats-Handbuch or similar with any info on these orders?

40 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

This is going back awhile, but my ancestor Carl Sigismund Kunth (1788 Leipzig-1850 Berlin) is shown on an indistinct engraving wearing several orders. Does anyone have a Staats-Handbuch or similar with any info on these orders?

Just looking at the posted image, the ist one looks like order of the red Eagle to my eyes, can't distinguish anything else unfortunately 

15 minutes ago, Alex K said:

Just looking at the posted image, the ist one looks like order of the red Eagle to my eyes, can't distinguish anything else unfortunately 

A RAO, either fourth or third class and a French Legion D'Honneur. A Legion of Honour is not an uncommon decoration for someone working in a scientific field like botany. 

Kind regards, Laurentius

Thanks Glenn, this is really useful info. While we're on the subject of this family, can anyone shed any light on the honours of my 4xGreat Grandfather, Gottlob Johann Christian Kunth, 1757 Baruth-1829 Berlin, who was the uncle of the above Carl? I know he held the title of preuss. Oberregierungs-und-Staatsrath.

He was awarded the RAO3 in 1815. This from the 1818 Handbuch über den Königlich Preussischen Hof und Staat. He was still listed in the 1825 Ordensliste with that sole Prussian award. The supplement to the 1928 Handbuch shows he was awarded the GSF2 that year.

Regards

Glenn

Kunth_Gottlob.thumb.jpg.8c431bc791bf9280e889c338e0543227.jpg