News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi, Here is my scooped out Blockade Breaker badge. I have heard this is an early characteristic, is this true? The pin has broken off and what you see is the replacement pin. The original hinge and part of the original pin are present. Any ideas on originality?

Thank you,

Pat

Again, would like to see a very clear close up of the MM, however, this is probably OK as a scooped out version of this badge. The catch is replaced I think, not original to this maker.

Not sure about the hinge or pin either.

Not sure if others have images of this badge so that we can compare the two.

John

Edited by John Robinson

Hi, Here is my scooped out Blockade Breaker badge. I have heard this is an early characteristic, is this true? The pin has broken off and what you see is the replacement pin. The original hinge and part of the original pin are present. Any ideas on originality?

Thank you,

Pat

Hi Pat,

My opinion is that this is a cast copy of an original. The detail just is not there, imho. Again, this is only my opinion.

I hope that I am proven wrong.

Regards

Paul

Hi Pat,

My opinion is that this is a cast copy of an original. The detail just is not there, imho. Again, this is only my opinion.

I hope that I am proven wrong.

Regards

Paul

I do not think you are wrong, but I am doing a little research on this one. Also like tosee a very clear edge on view of the side of the badge. John

Edited by John Robinson

Hi there, my pics are not the highest resolution (again, any tips on size) so that may account for some lack of detail, because in person it is sharper. I will work on better pics for all. I read on another forum that noone has ever come across a fake scooped back Blockade Breaker. Just a thought, also as I mentioned earlier in the post, the original pin is broken off and part of the original pin is in the hinge if you look close. Again, I will get better pics up.

Anybody know how to distinguish a hand-casting from a period die-cast? Are there casting lines on period Die-cast badges?

Thanks again,

Pat

• 1 year later...

Just an update on this thread, now I would probably have to agree with Don on it being a cast repro, as I recenctly picked up an original Tombak Schwerin Blockade Breaker badge and the details on my new badge are much crisper and the badge is much heavier, and it has most of the silvering left. Sorry I can't post a pic yet, still saving up for a new IMAC so I can post pics on the site!

Cheers,

Pat

I must agree that this is a bad, cast repro in my humble opinion . I do not think this is an original badge with a replacement pin as the badge shows a lack of detail and has too many pock marks just like a cast copy .

Best Regards,

Joe

[/

Pat,

Joe pretty well summed it up here.

Regards,Martin.

Thanks for the comments gents, I guess we can put a nail in the coffin of this badge! I just emailed Larry Strong my pics of the new Schwerin Blockade Breaker (unfortunately, it has been denazified, but the price was right!) which I believe is an original due to the sharp details, correct pin and catch (slightly bent so I can't open the pin up without risk of damage) and bubbling of the finish on the reverse. Please let me know what you think when Larry posts the pics (thanks again to Larry, you rule!)

Cheers,

Pat

Thanks for posting my badge Larry, and maybe you can make it to a show next year over here! There was a nice TR police shako helmet there as well as an SS customs border security armbadge made of a gilted metal and about 4 inches tall oval (instituted after the 1944 attempt on Hitler's life), which was a fascinating piece and I wish I had a seasoned veteran with me to judge it. They were asking $525 for it, so a little out of my league, but probably a good deal if original.

But anyways, my new badge I picked up last weekend (the one Larry just posted pics for) isn't as coppery a colour as it looks in the pic, the auto levels and my scanner add a bit of that tinge to it for some reason. You can see on the reverse after adjusting the "auto levels" in photoshop just how many bubbles are on the back in the finish (and a few on the front). I take it that this is a good sign of a zinc badge, but the pin appears to be tombak, as I thought the badge was made of tombak but now due to the bubbling I found out about I think it is a zinc one (I am really bad with metals, I am trying to get better!). Like I said before, the details are really sharp and it is a heavy, well made badge with the correct pin, hinge and catch (albeit a bent catch and pin!) and an unfortunate denazification probably done so the owner could keep it post war I assume. If anyone can confirm its authenticity or lend any opinions on it I would be most appreciated. Any and all comments are great!

Cheers,

Pat

Pat,

the new badge looks like a good Schwerin zincer to me.Tombak badges would not have the "bubbling" as your badge does.Another way to identify Schwerin tombak badges is that they do not have the circular catch plate.

Regards,Martin.