News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French Wound Medal

hirmiestelio

Hi! I didn't find an introduction board, and I just joined . . . so I'm just going to dive in here with my first question! :) The French Wound medal . . . I've seen multiple versions online and some bits of info here and there . . . However, I am rather confused with detail. Is this actually official? Also, what are the different styles and do they mean different things or just change over time? Also, what exactly are you awarded this for? Thanks for any help!

Elizabeth

wound medal.JPG

19 hours ago, pat66 said:

Hello from France,

différentes versions are made by différents maker

P1150570.JPG

P1150569.JPG

P1150567.JPG

P1150568.JPG

hello, here is two others versions.

the best for your collect. Patrick.

P1150571.JPG

Thank you so much for the pictures showing the different types! I've seen pictures of many, but never actually counted how many I'd seen before. The two along the bottom that you show . . . are these WWI or WWII era? I'm particularly wanting one for the 1940-48 era. :)

Hello Elizabeth & all,

What has perhaps not been stated clearly is that - although their wear was condoned - the above wound medals were considered non-official awards until 2016. Up till then the official award consisted of an enamelled red star being affixed on the corresponding campaign medal or a slip-on bar with a red star being placed on the campaign medal's ribbon.

The latter, on the WW2 Commemorative Medal, would perhaps fit your 1940-48 time frame depending on what exactly you're looking for.

FV002-WarCommBars-3.JPG.43b4e47c37d8c5df94a6a241a7e61999.JPG

Regards,

Hendrik

My best guess would be, that someone placed an additional communist sign on the ribbon, to make it more convincing that it is a medal issued by some communist country. Or a French communist placed it on his wounded medal badge ribbon.

Regards

v.Perlet

Ah! They were unofficial, then? I have seen that mentioned, but it is hard not being able to speak French, as most things on this medal are French and the translators work, but not everything makes sense when reading the translation! :)

So, if they are unofficial - who awarded them? 

I've never seen the red star on a bar before, and that is very interesting. Now I'm going to have to really pay attention. 

My collecting aim . . . sort of hard to describe, but here it goes:

French Resistance is my passion. One of my favorite history topics to read about and my favorite WWII area of interest! So . . . I decided many years ago that I wanted a French Resistance medal. I got one after a bit. I then decided on adding a few more, which I would then frame all together. I decided I'd collect medals that someone who was in the resistance could have or would have had/been awarded. I have quite a few now . . . some gallantry, some service, some association medals. I also have a couple of badges and an armband that was worn in the Liberation of Paris. 

Well, researching for collecting things, I found the Wound medal and it has been in my mind with some question marks ever since! So, that is my interest! :)  Now it is sort of an "old friend", you might say, because I've wondered about it so many years! 

14 hours ago, hirmiestelio said:

So, if they are unofficial - who awarded them?

Hello Elizabeth,

As mentioned above, the official award was either a red star on a campaign medal's ribbon or the ribbon bar with star. In practice, however, many preferred to wear a medal and medal manufacturers were quick to provide...

As you can see from Pat66's post, they did so in a wide variety of models.

For your resistance group (maybe post pictures in a separate post ? It would be nice to see.), it's perhaps best not to choose an open wreath one but a round, solid medal with the star points not protruding.

Regards,

Hendrik

Thanks to all of you! This is fabulous! I will definitely pull out my Resistance collection and photograph it to post! I just discovered the Medaille de la Reconnaissance francaise when viewing a ribbon rack that belonged to an SOE Translator who helped train the French and Corsican Resistance agents. So . . .another for my want list before framing! 

Thanks for the help! I'll make a note to look for the Wound medal with the gold back where the star doesn't protrude!

Hello, yes it is, specialy during the bombardement of large cities.

here is a funny anecdote.

the most young, who have receveid this medal two month hold during a paris bombardement. 

best regard.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Dear Gentlemen.

Actually, those are not medals but officially they are "insignias":

The "Insigne des blessés de guerre" became a medal quite recently on the 17 August 2016 (official decree n° 2016-1130).

Medal for the War Wounded - Wikipedia

The civilian one is still an insignia.

Insigne des blessés civils - Wikipedia

Yours sincerely,

No one