News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish orders/medals awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

• 2 weeks later...
    20 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Johan, could you please double check if Vizeadmiral Heinz Nordmann was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords on 15 April 1944?

Because his Personalakte states he received it on 12 April 1944.

Thanks!

The date according to Matikkala's book is 15 April and with swords. 

• 2 weeks later...

Johan, I found these two documents that mention a Finnish and Swedish order awarded to Kapitän zur See Erich Schulte Mönting.

Could you please check if these classes and award dates are correct:

Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Oak Leaves and Swords (25 March 1942)

- Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Swedish Order of the Sword (22 October 1940)

It's possible that the Swedish award date for the Order of the Sword will be different. The date in the document below could be the German approval date.

Many thanks!

Erich Schulte Mönting (2).jpg

Bez naslova.jpg

4 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Johan, I found these two documents that mention a Finnish and Swedish order awarded to Kapitän zur See Erich Schulte Mönting.

Could you please check if these classes and award dates are correct:

Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Oak Leaves and Swords (25 March 1942)

- Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Swedish Order of the Sword (22 October 1940)

It's possible that the Swedish award date for the Order of the Sword will be different. The date in the document below could be the German approval date.

Many thanks!

Erich Schulte Mönting (2).jpg

Bez naslova.jpg

Hello!

Mönting received the Swedish order on the same date as the document. October 22nd 1940.

The Finnish order I don't know. I don't have access to those dates or awards. Mattikkala's book only lists 1st class orders. 

But you could contact the order chancellery and ask about the date. 

2 hours ago, JohanH said:

Hello!

Mönting received the Swedish order on the same date as the document. October 22nd 1940.

The Finnish order I don't know. I don't have access to those dates or awards. Mattikkala's book only lists 1st class orders. 

But you could contact the order chancellery and ask about the date. 

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Kapitän zur See Erich Schulte-Mönting was awarded the 2nd class 23.5.1942. The class was changed to the 2nd class of the Cross of Liberty with an oak leaf on 15.4.1942. Signed by Mannerheim.

- Vili

Edited by FRE_A_K

40 minutes ago, FRE_A_K said:

Kapitän zur See Erich Schulte-Mönting was awarded the 2nd class 23.5.1942. The class was changed to the 2nd class of the Cross of Liberty with an oak leaf on 15.4.1942. Signed by Mannerheim.

- Vili

Thank you Vili.

But I am confused now, because the German document says the award date is 25 March 1942. That is incorrect then?

You said the class was changed on 15 April 1942, before it was awarded. Was it first supposed to be awarded just with the Swords?

So, is 23 May 1942 the correct award date?

Also, was it the 2nd Class with Oak Leaves and Swords, or just with Oak Leaves?

I hope you will be able to explain, because I want to get it right.

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

32 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Vili.

So which is the correct award date then? 23 May 1942 or 15 April 1942?

And was it with Oak Leaves and Swords or just with Oak Leaves?

The Cross of Liberty 2nd class with swords was awarded to him on 23 May 1942. His name is mentioned in list 46, page 1.

In the Commander-in-Chief's presentation No. 422 (April 15, 1942), the class was changed. This document was signed by the Commander-in-Chief, Marshal Mannerheim.

The new class was the 2nd class of the Cross of Liberty with swords and an oak leaf. So the previous cross was practically cancelled. The new cross is mentioned in list 49, page 2, under "changes". The date is still mentioned as 23 May 1942.

- Vili

Edited by FRE_A_K

12 minutes ago, FRE_A_K said:

The new class was the 2nd class of the Cross of Liberty with swords and an oak leaf. So the previous cross was practically cancelled. The new cross is mentioned in list 49, page 2, under "changes". The date is still mentioned as 23 May 1942.

Thank you for the explanation.

But now I wonder what is the date (25 March 1942) that is written in the German document.

7 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you for the explanation.

But now I wonder what is the date (25 March 1942) that is written in the German document.

Sorry, my mistake. Hahah. 25.3.1942 is correct. The numbers switched places in my mind. I guess I was too tired to answer.

- Vili

3 hours ago, FRE_A_K said:

Sorry, my mistake. Hahah. 25.3.1942 is correct. The numbers switched places in my mind. I guess I was too tired to answer.

- Vili

Don't worry haha. It's good that you double-checked. Thank you very much once again!

• 3 weeks later...

Kapitänleutnant Werdt was made knight 1st class of the Royal Norwegian order of St. Olav in 1913, cf. the state calendar of 1914. I cannot find a more accurate date.

And two more:

Kapitänleutnant Albrecht Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen
    Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav in 1906.

Sub-lieutenant (leutnant?) Reinhold Knobloch
    Knight's Cross (2nd Class) of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav in 1905.

Edited by Kvart

5 hours ago, Kvart said:

Kapitänleutnant Werdt was made knight 1st class of the Royal Norwegian order of St. Olav in 1913, cf. the state calendar of 1914. I cannot find a more accurate date.

And two more:

Kapitänleutnant Albrecht Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen
    Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav in 1906.

Sub-lieutenant (leutnant?) Reinhold Knobloch
    Knight's Cross (2nd Class) of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav in 1905.

Thank you Kvart.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

among the awards of Konteradmiral Reimar von Bonin there are two Finnish awards that I am unfamiliar with. The names are written in German, I hope that is ok.

1. "Verdienstmedaille I. Klasse des finnischen Bevölkerungsschutzes"

Is this the medal "Väestönsuojelun 1. luokan ansiomitali" (1st photo below)?

How would the name of this medal be translated into English?

2. "Schutzkorpsverdienstkreuz"

Is this the "Suojeluskunnan Rautainen Ansioristi" (2nd photo below)?

Also, if I understood correctly, the "Suojeluskunnan Ansioristi" came in two classes: Iron and Silver. Is that correct?

If so, which one did von Bonin receive? Because no class is indicated in the German name of this award.

Thanks!

FIN_ADM1_A.jpg

FIN_SKC_A.jpg

2 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Hello,

among the awards of Konteradmiral Reimar von Bonin there are two Finnish awards that I am unfamiliar with. The names are written in German, I hope that is ok.

1. "Verdienstmedaille I. Klasse des finnischen Bevölkerungsschutzes"

Is this the medal "Väestönsuojelun 1. luokan ansiomitali" (1st photo below)?

2. "Schutzkorpsverdienstkreuz"

Is this the "Suojeluskunnan Rautainen Ansioristi" (2nd photo below)?

Also, if I understood correctly, the "Suojeluskunnan Ansioristi" came in two classes: Iron and Silver. Is that correct?

If so, which one did von Bonin receive? Because no class is indicated in the German name of this award.

Thanks!

FIN_ADM1_A.jpg

FIN_SKC_A.jpg

1) It should be that medal. The english name is "Civil defence medal 1st class".

It could be awarded with bar 1939-1940 or 1941-1944.

2) It is probably that cross. The english name is "Cross of merit of the Civil Guards". 

It was actually in 3 classes. Iron, silver and gold. But the gold crosses were just awarded a handful of times and not to von Bonin. 

If von Bonin got the iron or silver cross is impossible to know without paperwork or searching through archives.  

41 minutes ago, JohanH said:

1) It should be that medal. The english name is "Civil defence medal 1st class".

It could be awarded with bar 1939-1940 or 1941-1944.

2) It is probably that cross. The english name is "Cross of merit of the Civil Guards". 

It was actually in 3 classes. Iron, silver and gold. But the gold crosses were just awarded a handful of times and not to von Bonin. 

If von Bonin got the iron or silver cross is impossible to know without paperwork or searching through archives.  

Thank you Johan.

I actually found this about the Cross of merit of the Civil Guards on the Axis History Forum (from the book Sarkatakkien armeija)

"Instituted on 4 August 1922, it was originally awarded in two grades, iron and silver. Later a golden version was created and awarded, but it was never official.
    - Suojeluskuntain rautainen ansioristi (Suojeluskunta Iron Cross of Merit) was awarded to soldiers for military merits and bravery in war.
    - Suojeluskuntain hopeinen ansioristi (Suojeluskunta Silver Cross of Merit) was awarded to civilians who had supported Suojeluskunta."

This means von Bonin had to be awarded the Iron class.

6 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

If so, which one did von Bonin receive?

Cross of merit of the Civil Guard was awarded in iron, silver and gold.
    Von Bonin was awarded the cross in iron 4.12.1941.

Medal of Merit, First Class with clasp (1939-1940) of the Civil Defence was sent to him 28.3.1941.
    According to the rules, only the 1st class of the medal could be awarded to a foreigner. Of course there are exceptions.

He was also awarded the Cross of Liberty 1st class 31.1.1942.

- Vili

54 minutes ago, FRE_A_K said:

Cross of merit of the Civil Guard was awarded in iron, silver and gold.
    Von Bonin was awarded the cross in iron 4.12.1941.

Medal of Merit, First Class with clasp (1939-1940) of the Civil Defence was sent to him 28.3.1941.
    According to the rules, only the 1st class of the medal could be awarded to a foreigner. Of course there are exceptions.

He was also awarded the Cross of Liberty 1st class 31.1.1942.

- Vili

Thank you Vili.

According to the information in his Personalakte, he was awarded the Medal of Merit for Civil Defense 1st Class in Silver on 15 October 1941. No clasp is mentioned.

Also, the German Wikipedia article states "With a clasp in times of war, without a clasp in times of peace. The medal without clasp could also be awarded to foreigners." https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdienstmedaille_für_Bevölkerungsschutzarbeit

Since he was a foreigner, I pressumed he didn't receive the clasp?

Do you have the source that states he was awarded the "1939-1940" clasp?

Reimar von Bonin (1).jpg

9 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Vili.

According to the information in his Personalakte, he was awarded the Medal of Merit for Civil Defense 1st Class in Silver on 15 October 1941. No clasp is mentioned.

Also, the German Wikipedia article states "With a clasp in times of war, without a clasp in times of peace. The medal without clasp could also be awarded to foreigners." https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdienstmedaille_für_Bevölkerungsschutzarbeit

Since he was a foreigner, I pressumed he didn't receive the clasp?

Do you have the source that states he was awarded the "1939-1940" clasp?

According to his medal index card he was was indeed awarded the clasp as well. Of course, it is another matter whether the clasp was delivered to him... I think it's likely his medal was sent first to finnish military attacé in Germany and that's why there is delay.

Another possibility is that he was authorized to wear the medal date 15 October 1941 and this date is noted on the paper.

Yes, Foreigners can be awarded the medal without the claps for peace time merits.

- V