News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish orders/medals awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

3 hours ago, FRE_A_K said:

March 25, 1942 is the right answer. Matikkala also states this.
    The Führer's Adjutant General Rudolf Schmundt was awarded on June 4, 1942.

On 01/02/2022 at 19:12, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Vizeadmiral z.V. Paul Wülfing von Ditten:

-Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords

Awarded in 1918 I believe.

May 19, 1918 is the right answer.

I wish I had time to give all the right answers

- Vili

Thank you very much Vili!

I hope you will be able to help with the other dates also, if you find the time of course.

• 1 year later...
    On 02/02/2022 at 07:13, JohanH said:

I found Götting!

He got the Knight 1st class on August 2nd 1918. 

image.thumb.png.13b8d3684c1525cecec439df7d54ef31.png

Hello Johan,

I found out that Generaladmiral Wilhelm Marschall was awarded the Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword. I pressume it was awarded sometime before September 1937.

Can you perhaps find the exact award date?

Thanks

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

19 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Hello Johan,

I found out that Generaladmiral Wilhelm Marschall was awarded the Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword. I pressume it was awarded sometime before September 1937.

Can you perhaps find the exact award date?

Thanks

Hello!

No problem, he got it on June 26th 1936.

On 02/02/2022 at 07:05, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thanks. So my sources were wrong.

That's ok, you helped me a lot nevertheless.

Sure, here is the photo. You can see the Order of the Sword on his medal bar (4th medal). Can you determine the class from the photo? Knight's Cross 1st or 2nd Class?

Friedrich Götting (5).jpg

Nice photo

• 3 weeks later...
    On 29/06/2023 at 15:29, JohanH said:

Hello!

No problem, he got it on June 26th 1936.

Hello Johan,

Could you please check the Swedish rolls for Admiral Richard Foerster?

I believe he received the Grand Cross of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword. I am unsure of the date written in his Personalakte.

It's either 30 June 1936 or 3 June 1936 because the second number in the day also looks like an "8" and the "3" is underlined. What do you think?

Screenshot (1260).jpg

On 19/07/2023 at 21:05, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Hello Johan,

Could you please check the Swedish rolls for Admiral Richard Foerster?

I believe he received the Grand Cross of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword. I am unsure of the date written in his Personalakte.

It's either 30 June 1936 or 3 June 1936 because the second number in the day also looks like an "8" and the "3" is underlined. What do you think?

Screenshot (1260).jpg

According to the roll he received it on June 26th 1936 so I guess your date should be 30th June. 

10 hours ago, JohanH said:

According to the roll he received it on June 26th 1936 so I guess your date should be 30th June. 

Thank you Johan!

So, if the Swedish award date is 26 June 1936, what do you think the date 30 June 1936 is? German approval date or something else? Presentation date?

23 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thank you Johan!

So, if the Swedish award date is 26 June 1936, what do you think the date 30 June 1936 is? German approval date or something else? Presentation date?

My guess would be that is it the date of presentation. 

Here is an example of a order of the Sword to a Bulgarian captain, the document has two dates. 

The first date, 25th October 1941 is when the King has decided to give the award and the other date is what I assume is the date of presentation of the award. The award roll show only the first date. 

I also have a document that has the same date on both places so there are all kinds of variations. 

image.thumb.png.4e3e1fe4ee026e1a50958e60e8c042b7.png

RSO1kl Ivan Stojanoff.jpg

18 hours ago, JohanH said:

My guess would be that is it the date of presentation. 

Here is an example of a order of the Sword to a Bulgarian captain, the document has two dates. 

The first date, 25th October 1941 is when the King has decided to give the award and the other date is what I assume is the date of presentation of the award. The award roll show only the first date. 

I also have a document that has the same date on both places so there are all kinds of variations. 

image.thumb.png.4e3e1fe4ee026e1a50958e60e8c042b7.png

RSO1kl Ivan Stojanoff.jpg

Wow very rare Thank you for posting it

• 2 weeks later...
    5 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Johan, can you confirm if Wilhelm Meisel was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords on 21 May 1942. His rank at the time was Kapitän zur See (last rank Admiral).

Thanks!

Hello!

Unfortunately I don't know if there are any list of 2nd class crosses available to the public. 

I have a list of 1918 awards but not any awards during ww2. 

You could try and ask the order chancellery, info@vapaudenristinritarikunta.fi. They should have the list and the correct date. 

On 10/08/2023 at 17:08, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Thanks. But he did get the 2nd Class with Swords?

Sorry! I missed your message. 

Attached are a photo from the book Kunnian ruletti: korkeimmat ulkomaalaisille 1941-1944. 

I understand it that he had the 2nd class cross. I can't say for certain but most likely it was the version with swords. There were only 53 crosses without swords awarded so I would say it was the version with swords. 

IMG_0979.JPG

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Johan, could you check again in Antti Matikkala's book if Admiral Hubert Schmundt received on 25 March 1942 the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class just "with Swords" or "with Oak Leaves and Swords"?

His Personalakte lists both versions...

Thanks!

Hubert Schmundt (1).jpg

Hubert Schmundt is not in the list of Libertycrosses 1st class with swords and oakleaves in Matikkala's book. Only in the list over 1st class crosses with swords. 

9 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Sorry! I missed your message. 

Attached are a photo from the book Kunnian ruletti: korkeimmat ulkomaalaisille 1941-1944. 

I understand it that he had the 2nd class cross. I can't say for certain but most likely it was the version with swords. There were only 53 crosses without swords awarded so I would say it was the version with swords. 

IMG_0979.JPG

Hubert Schmundt is not in the list of Libertycrosses 1st class with swords and oakleaves in Matikkala's book. Only in the list over 1st class crosses with swords. 

Many thanks for the confirmation! If you look closely in the photo I posted you can see that the version "with Swords" is marked with a green colour. I guess this means it's the actual version he received.

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

• 1 month later...

Hello Johan,

Can you find any information about the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty for Friedrich Wilhelm Kurze?

According to his Personalakte (see the photo below), he was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty and the Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ in January 1919.

I would be interested in the exact class of the Cross of Liberty and the exact award date, if you have it.

Thanks!

Friedrich Wilhelm Kurze (1).jpg

42 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Hello Johan,

Can you find any information about the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty for Friedrich Wilhelm Kurze?

According to his Personalakte (see the photo below), he was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty and the Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ in January 1919.

I would be interested in the exact class of the Cross of Liberty and the exact award date, if you have it.

Thanks!

Friedrich Wilhelm Kurze (1).jpg

Was he Oberleutnant zur See on S.M.S. "Rheinland"?

I have unfortunately not access to any dates on awards. 

And I don't know if I should give away to much information that is in the upcoming book on finnish awards to germans... :)

3 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Was he Oberleutnant zur See on S.M.S. "Rheinland"?

Yes, that's him.

3 minutes ago, JohanH said:

And I don't know if I should give away to much information that is in the upcoming book on finnish awards to germans... :)

Surely a few officers I need help with won't spoil the whole book?

Please tell me which class he was awarded. And if it was with Swords or not?