News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish orders/medals awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

9 minutes ago, FRE_A_K said:

According to his medal index card he was was indeed awarded the clasp as well. Of course, it is another matter whether the clasp was delivered to him... I think it's likely his medal was sent first to finnish military attacé in Germany and that's why there is delay.

Another possibility is that he was authorized to wear the medal date 15 October 1941 and this date is noted on the paper.

Yes, Foreigners can be awarded the medal without the claps for peace time merits.

- V

Thank you for the confirmation.

The thing is, von Bonin was the Naval-Attaché at the German Embassy in Helsinki between 01 July 1937 and 13 September 1944, so the medal was surely not sent to Germany, but to the German Embassy in Helsinki where he was stationed.

I guess your date (28 March 1941) is the Finnish award date, and the date in his Personalakte (15 October 1941) is the German approval date, i.e. the date of authorization to wear the medal as you said.

• 2 weeks later...

@JohanH

Johan, can you please confirm if Fritz Conrad was awarded the Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword on 28 March 1934?

His rank at the time was Char. (honorary) Konteradmiral.

If the award date in the Swedish rolls is different from the one above, then this one must be the German approval date.

Thanks!

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

On 22/12/2023 at 18:01, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

@JohanH

Johan, can you please confirm if Fritz Conrad was awarded the Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword on 28 March 1934?

If the award date in the Swedish rolls is different from the one above, then this one must be the German approval date.

Thanks!

I will look it up as soon as I get home from Christmas celebration. 

Merry Christmas to you!

• 2 weeks later...
    On 22/12/2023 at 18:01, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

@JohanH

Thanks!

Hello!

Sorry for my late reply. 

Fritz Conrad got the Order of the Sword Commander 2nd class as Kommendör on April 12th 1930.

image.png.305ab7a1433105ee39b6b2bb1ac498e2.png

28 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Hello!

Sorry for my late reply. 

Fritz Conrad got the Order of the Sword Commander 2nd class as Kommendör on April 12th 1930.

image.png.305ab7a1433105ee39b6b2bb1ac498e2.png

Thank you very much Johan!

The other date must be the German approval date then, even if there is almost a 4 year difference between the two dates.

Fritz Conrad (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"Admiral Ostlandin esikuntapäällikkönä persoonallisesti vaikuttanut meille erittäin edullisesti materiaalin vaihtoon ja yhteistoimintaan. Edellisiä koskevien neuvottelujen saksalaisena johtajana käyttänyt asemaansa molemminpuolisen hyvän vuorovaikutuksen lujittamiseksi."

"As Admiral Ostland's chief of staff, he personally influenced us in a very favorable way in exchange of material and cooperation. As the German leader of the previous negotiations, he used his position to strengthen mutual good interaction."

- Vili

@JohanH @FRE_A_K

Do you perhaps know if Hermann Bauer was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty or any other Finnish decorations? I would be interested in the exact decorations, classes and award dates.

He participated in the Finnish Civil War in 1918 as the Commandant of the Battleship "Westfalen".

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

@JohanH @FRE_A_K

Do you perhaps know if Hermann Bauer was awarded the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty or any other Finnish decorations? I would be interested in the exact decorations, classes and award dates.

He participated in the Finnish Civil War in 1918 as the Commandant of the Battleship "Westfalen".

Many thanks!

There is a Kapitän zur See named Bauer in the book about Finnish awards to Germans in 1918.

The book is still available if you are interested in purchasing a copy.

Edited by JohanH

• 1 month later...

I have a question about the Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ (Vapaussodan muistomitali).

I know this medal could've been awarded with a Clasp.

Can anyone tell me if there was just one Clasp, or multiple?

What was the Clasp called? I know of this example (see below), awarded to Paul Wülfing von Ditten.

The inscription on the Clasp says "SYD FINLAND".

I found here: https://www.kuenker.de/en/archiv/stueck/240156 that this Clasp (that has an inscription in Swedish? is that correct?) "was intended for the Swedish-speaking inhabitants of southwest Finland and for the Swedish voluntary participants in the war".

If so, why was Paul Wülfing von Ditten (a German) awarded this Clasp?

Thanks!

1121095985_020VizeadmiralPaulWlfingvonDitten.JPG.d0230e4014929d50fd216b1b7c565f7b.jpg

The entry in the Personalakte of Konteradmiral Erich Müller says he was awarded the "Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland with Swords" on 11 August 1942 (see the photo below).

Can anyone confirm the class, award date and if it was with or without Swords?

Thanks!

Erich Müller (1).jpg

Commander's Cross 2nd Class (not the first) of the Order of the White Rose of Finland with Swords.
    Date is correct. He is listed as Kapitän zur See. Born 3.4.1895, Braunswalde.

Unfortunetly i'm not allowed to give any citations since further information is not open for public.

57 minutes ago, FRE_A_K said:

Commander's Cross 2nd Class (not the first) of the Order of the White Rose of Finland with Swords.
    Date is correct. He is listed as Kapitän zur See. Born 3.4.1895, Braunswalde.

Unfortunetly i'm not allowed to give any citations since further information is not open for public.

Thank you very much Vili!

I suspected the class was incorrect.

22 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Hello @JohanH

Can you please find Walther Oehler in the Swedish award rolls?

According to his Personalakte, he was awarded the Swedish Order of the Sword (class unknown) on 5 November 1940. I don't know if the award date is correct.

Many thanks!

Walther Oehler, German commander (Tysk kommendör) received the Order of the Sword, Commander 2nd class on October 22nd 1940.

12 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Yes, either that or the date when the germans approved it. 

As far as I saw, it usually took at least a month for the Germans to approve a foreign decoration. There are also cases where several months or even years passed before an approval.

@JohanH

I have a question about the names of the classes of the Swedish Order of the Sword and the Order of Vasa.

For both orders, are the official names of the classes these:

Grand Cross
    Commander 1st Class
    Commander 2nd Class
    Knight 1st Class
    Knight 2nd Class

Or these:

Grand Cross
    Commander 1st Class
    Commander
    Knight 1st Class
    Knight

Because I found conflicting information about the names. The official website of the Swedish Royal Orders of Knighthood gives the names for the Commander and Knight without the "2nd Class" part. See the links below:

https://kungligmajestatsorden.se/english/orders/the-order-of-the-sword

https://kungligmajestatsorden.se/english/orders/the-order-of-vasa

Thanks!