News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish orders/medals awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals

Hello, I need help with the Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish orders/medals awarded to Kriegsmarine admirals. Please help me confirm the classes and award dates for these Kriegsmarine admirals. For some admirals I don't have the award dates. It would be great if anyone could help me with the award dates. All corrections/additions are welcome. I'm not sure if all the classes are correct, but they should be.

Here is the list I compiled (edited with correct dates from JohanH and Great Dane):

Großadmiral Erich Raeder:
    -Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (27 February 1936)
    -Grand Cross of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (18 October 1940)
    -Grand Cross of the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty with Swords (25 March 1942)

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (12 April 1930)
    -Grand Cross of the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty with Swords (11 April 1944)

Generaladmiral Conrad Albrecht:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Norwegian Order of St. Olav (31 July 1913)
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (19 October 1936, Approved on 26 January 1937)

Generaladmiral Karl Witzell:
    -Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog (30 July 1906)

Generaladmiral Otto Schniewind:
    -Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (26 June 1936)

Generaladmiral Rolf Carls:
    -Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1938)
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Star and Swords (25 March 1942)

Admiral Conrad Patzig:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Oak Leaves and Swords (25 March 1942)

Admiral Hubert Schmundt:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (25 March 1942)

Admiral Kurt Fricke:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (12 April 1930)
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Oak Leaves and Swords (25 March 1942)

Admiral Max Bastian:
    -Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa (4 April 1924)
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords
    -Finnish Silver Medal for Bravery (1918)
    -Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ (1918)

Admiral Theodor Burchardi:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (7 June 1943)

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris:
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (8 June 1936, Approved on 15 December 1936)
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Star and Swords (16 September 1941)

Admiral Wilhelm Meisel:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords (21 May 1942)

Admiral z.V. Wilhelm Prentzel:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (13 July 1909)

Vizeadmiral Albrecht Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (6 August 1908)

Vizeadmiral z.V. Alexander Werth:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav

Vizeadmiral Erich Schulte Mönting:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords (25 March 1942)

Vizeadmiral Friedrich Götting:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword

Char. Vizeadmiral Hans Kolbe:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa (5 August 1905)

Vizeadmiral Heinz Nordmann:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (15 April 1944)

Vizeadmiral Joachim Lietzmann:
    -Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog (19 September 1933)
    -Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa (1 November 1935)

Vizeadmiral Leopold Bürkner:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (30 April 1936)
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (10 December 1941)

Vizeadmiral z.V. Paul Wülfing von Ditten:
    -Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ (1918) with Clasp
    -Finnish Silver Medal for Bravery (1918)

Konteradmiral Erich Alfred Breuning:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Swords (25 March 1942)

Konteradmiral Ernst Lucht:
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland with Swords (11 August 1942)

Konteradmiral Hans Bütow:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (12 October 1941)

Konteradmiral Hans Küsel:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa (2 July 1890)

Konteradmiral z.V. Heinrich Kehrhahn:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (6 August 1908)

Konteradmiral z.V. Heinz-Eduard Menche:
    -Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog (9 July 1908)

Konteradmiral Hermann Baron von Salza:
    -Commander's Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1922)
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1931)

Konteradmiral Karl-Jesko von Puttkamer:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 2nd Class with Oak Leaves and Swords (11 June 1942)

Konteradmiral Kurt Böhmer:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (10 October 1942)

Konteradmiral Otto Klüber:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (21 May 1942)

Konteradmiral Reimar von Bonin:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (31 January 1942)

Char. Konteradmiral Reinhold Knobloch:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Norwegian Order of Saint Olav

Konteradmiral z.V. Walter Isendahl:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (1918)
    -Finnish Commemorative Medal of the „War of Liberation“ with Clasp (1918)

Konteradmiral Werner Steffan:
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (30 October 1936)
    -Commander's Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland

Konteradmiral Werner Stichling:

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

Generaladmiral Karl Witzell:
    -Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog   30/7 1906

-Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog   19/9 1933

Konteradmiral z.V. Heinz-Eduard Menche:
    -Knight's Cross of the Danish Order of the Dannebrog   9/7 1908

Regarding Witzell: His first name is not listed, but there is only this one (listed as a navy first lieutenant, which might have been his rank in 1906)

Edited by Great Dane

Here are some dates from the scrolls:

-Grand Cross of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword - 18 October 1940

Generaladmiral Otto Schniewind:
    -Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword - 26 June 1936

-Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword - 30 October 1936

Konteradmiral z.V. Heinrich Kehrhahn:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword - 6 August 1908

-Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa - 1 November 1935

As you can see my dates differ from yours date. Maybe it can be explained with my dates being the date of decision and yours are the date of the conferral? Or if your date is the date of reception. 

Would it be possible to make some kind of note in your list on which dates are checked? 

Edited by JohanH

I have cross checked your dates of Finnish awards to to the people below against the list in the book "Kunnian ruletti" by Antti Matikkala and there was only two differences:

-Grand Cross of the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty with Swords (25 March 1942)

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz:
    -Grand Cross of the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty with Swords (11 April 1944)

-Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Star and Swords (25 March 1942)

Admiral Conrad Patzig:

Admiral Hubert Schmundt:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords  (4 June 1942)

The date in Matikkalas book is June 4th 1942.

Admiral Kurt Fricke:

Admiral Theodor Burchardi:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (7 June 1943)

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Star and Swords (16 September 1941)

Vizeadmiral Heinz Nordmann:

-Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (10 December 1941)

-Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland with Swords (11 August 1942)

How certain are you that Lucht received the order with swords? He is not in the very short list of recipients. 

Konteradmiral Hans Bütow:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (12 October 1941)

Konteradmiral Kurt Böhmer:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (10 October 1942)

Konteradmiral Otto Klüber:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (21 May 1942) 

Konteradmiral Reimar von Bonin:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (31 January 1942)

Konteradmiral Werner Stichling:

Thank you very much!

14 hours ago, Great Dane said:

Regarding Witzell: His first name is not listed, but there is only this one (listed as a navy first lieutenant, which might have been his rank in 1906)

Witzell's rank in 1906 was Leutnant zur See. I think this should be him.

14 hours ago, JohanH said:

Maybe it can be explained with my dates being the date of decision and yours are the date of the conferral? Or if your date is the date of reception.

It's possible. But I'm not sure which date should be which (date of decision, conferral or reception)? The dates for Raeder and Schniewind come from the book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine" by  Manfred Dörr.

14 hours ago, JohanH said:

Would it be possible to make some kind of note in your list on which dates are checked?

Sorry, I don't quite understand. What do you mean "which dates are checked"? The dates for the Admirals that had the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross come from the above mentioned book. The dates for the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty (Grand Cross and 1st Class) come from a thread on the Axis History Forum (apparently from period Finnish documents). The dates for Conrad Albrecht and Wilhelm Canaris are also from period documents.

The dates I give of the Swedish orders are from the original award-scrolls. 

What I meant was if it would be possible to make some note that Great Dane have checked these and I have checked these. So one wouldn't have to scroll through all the replies to find if there are any named that are not checked yet, 

But I made an own word document where I can do it. So no worries. :)

As you can see on the below extract from a document for North Star, the dates differ. 

The documents states that the king has decided on May 19th 1939 to give commander North star....

And then it's signed on August 23 1939. 

Maybe it's the same thing with your admirals. 

image.png.78b14a0aae706212a3a06bc4aad4bbbb.png

15 minutes ago, JohanH said:

Admiral Hubert Schmundt:

The date 25 March 1942 can be found on the Axis History Forum posted by the member USAF1986. He said: "I received copies of the original Finnish documents detailing the German recipients of the Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty in all classes as well as the associated medals. These documents cover the period of 1941-1944. Here is the list of all German recipients of the 1st Class and higher that received their orders during this time frame. The award dates are those given in the Finnish documents. Presumably, this was the original date approved by the Finnish authorities and was probably not the date the recipient might actually have been awarded it."

Here is the link: https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20711&p=340533&hilit=hubert+schmundt#p340533

The same date is also in the book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine" by Manfred Dörr, although he has is "with Swords and Oak Leaves". The "Oak Leaves" part is wrong. So, I guess Schmundt was awarded this order on 25 March 1942, and your date (4 June 1942) could be the date he actually received the medal.

20 minutes ago, JohanH said:

How certain are you that Lucht received the order with swords? He is not in the very short list of recipients.

For Lucht, the source is again the book "Die Ritterkreuzträger der Überwasserstreitkräfte der Kriegsmarine". I don't know if this is correct?

5 minutes ago, JohanH said:

What I meant was if it would be possible to make some note that Great Dane have checked these and I have checked these. So one wouldn't have to scroll through all the replies to find if there are any named that are not checked yet

I see. Sure, I will add your award dates to my first post. No problem.

I found Ernst Lucht.

He seem to have received the commander 2nd class of the White rose  on 11 August 1942.

You can always try to contact the Finnish chancellery and ask for verification of the dates. 

Sometimes they are helpful and sometimes not so helpful. 

Contacts - Ritarikunnat

The Chancery of the Orders of the White Rose of Finland and the Lion of Finland also have the Liberty Crosses. 

11 minutes ago, JohanH said:

I found Ernst Lucht.

He seem to have received the commander 2nd class of the White rose  on 11 August 1942.

Great! Thanks! Did he recieve it with Swords or without Swords?

By the way, the correct date for Conrad Albrecht's Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland is 19 October 1936, not 19 June 1936. The auction site got it wrong. See the award document below.

K364789_53.jpg

26 minutes ago, JohanH said:

The dates I give of the Swedish orders are from the original award-scrolls. 

Of course, I will trust your dates instead of the ones from the book. Primary sources are always more reliable.

12 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Great! Thanks! Did he recieve it with Swords or without Swords?

By the way, the correct date for Conrad Albrecht's Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland is 19 October 1936, not 19 June 1936. The auction site got it wrong. See the award document below.

K364789_53.jpg

He received it with swords. 

Only 19 commander 2nd class with swords were awarded. 

Very nice document!

One question regarding the classes of the Order of the White Rose of Finland.

Isn't the correct name for the Commander classes the Commander's Cross 1st Class and the Commander's Cross? And not Commander's Cross 1st Class and the Commander's Cross 2nd Class. Of course, the difference between the two classes was that the Commander 1st Class had a Breast Star.

1 hour ago, JohanH said:

Admiral Hubert Schmundt:

And what should we do with Schmundt? Since your date (4 June 1942) comes from a secondary source (book "Kunnian ruletti" by Antti Matikkala) and the one I have (25 March 1942) should be from the primary sources (if we are to believe the person who posted it on AHF), I think my date should be the correct one?

26 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

One question regarding the classes of the Order of the White Rose of Finland.

Isn't the correct name for the Commander classes the Commander's Cross 1st Class and the Commander's Cross? And not Commander's Cross 1st Class and the Commander's Cross 2nd Class. Of course, the difference between the two classes was that the Commander 1st Class had a Breast Star.

Yes, the correct name is Commander 1st class and just Commander.

I call it 2nd class to separate them a little more. The difference is the breast star as you say. 

9 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

And what should we do with Schmundt? Since your date (4 June 1942) comes from a secondary source (book "Kunnian ruletti" by Antti Matikkala) and the one I have (25 March 1942) should be from the primary sources (if we are to believe the person who posted it on AHF), I think my date should be the correct one?

About this I don't know. Antti Matikkala was probably the worlds most knowledgeable person when it comes to orders from Finland. Unfortunately ha passed away a few years ago. 

Me personally would go after the date Matikkala gives as he was a renowned researcher of Finnish orders and therefor presumably had access to everything. 

At least until the other source can show the document he is referring to or if you contact the Ritarikunnat and ask if they can give you the award date for Schmundt. Since they have the original documents their date should reveal the true date. 

But this is only my personal opinion. :)

I looked up a few more of your guys in the Swedish award-rolls. 

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz:

Admiral Kurt Fricke:

Admiral Max Bastian:
    -Commander's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa – (4 April 1924)

Admiral z.V. Wilhelm Prentzel:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword – (13 July 1909)

Vizeadmiral Albrecht Freiherr von Freyberg-Eisenberg-Allmendingen:
    -Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (6 August 1908)

Char. Vizeadmiral Hans Kolbe:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa (3 August 1905)

-Knight's Cross 1st Class of the Royal Swedish Order of the Sword (30 April 1936)

Konteradmiral Hans Küsel:
    -Knight's Cross 2nd Class of the Royal Swedish Order of Vasa – (2 July 1890)

On 30/01/2022 at 14:28, JohanH said:

Großadmiral Karl Dönitz:

Admiral Kurt Fricke:

So, Dönitz and Fricke got the Knight's Cross 1st Class on the same date? It's odd that my sources give somewhat different dates (12 April 1936 for Dönitz and 12 July 1930 for Fricke).

Do you have the award dates for the Order of the White Rose of Finland and the Swedish Order of the Sword of these other admirals below?

-Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1938)

Admiral Max Bastian:

Awarded in 1918 I believe.

It's possible that he had the 2nd Class. The only source I have is photographic.

Konteradmiral Hermann Baron von Salza:
    -Commander's Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1922)
    -Commander's Cross 1st Class of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (1931)

Konteradmiral z.V. Walter Isendahl:
    -Finnish Order of the Cross of Liberty 1st Class with Swords (1918)

-Commander's Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland

Here is the entry in the award roll. 

Kurt Fricke and Karl Dönitz on 12th April 1930.

image.thumb.png.ba185ee94f769094c44fb8d812e3f974.png

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

It's possible that he had the 2nd Class. The only source I have is photographic.

Can you show the photo?

He is not in the 2nd class roll which I have in Excel. I am not done re-writing the 1st class yet, I'm still in 1870. But a quick search through some statecalenders give nothing on Götting.

Are you sure he received the Order of the Sword?

Sorry, I don't have any lists of the "normal" Order of the White Rose. The only lists I have are of those who received the order with swords. 

Here is the entry in the award roll. 

Kurt Fricke and Karl Dönitz on 12th April 1930.

Thanks. So my sources were wrong.

Sorry, I don't have any lists of the "normal" Order of the White Rose. The only lists I have are of those who received the order with swords.

That's ok, you helped me a lot nevertheless.

Can you show the photo?

Sure, here is the photo. You can see the Order of the Sword on his medal bar (4th medal). Can you determine the class from the photo? Knight's Cross 1st or 2nd Class?

Friedrich Götting (5).jpg

6 hours ago, Deutschritter said:

Was Friedrich Götting killed in Russian captivity? I would love to know more about his career.

He died in Russian captivity. No info if he was actually executed, more likely it was from natural causes.

See here for his biography: https://www.oocities.org/~orion47/WEHRMACHT/KRIEGSMARINE/Vizeadmirals/GOETTING_FRIEDRICH.html

4 hours ago, JohanH said:

I found Götting!

He got the Knight 1st class on August 2nd 1918.

Great job! Thank you.

• 1 month later...
    On 30/01/2022 at 15:04, JohanH said:

About this I don't know. Antti Matikkala was probably the worlds most knowledgeable person when it comes to orders from Finland. Unfortunately ha passed away a few years ago. 

Me personally would go after the date Matikkala gives as he was a renowned researcher of Finnish orders and therefor presumably had access to everything.

March 25, 1942 is the right answer. Matikkala also states this.
    The Führer's Adjutant General Rudolf Schmundt was awarded on June 4, 1942.

On 01/02/2022 at 20:12, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

May 19, 1918 is the right answer.

I wish I had time to give all the right answers

- Vili

Schmundt.jpg