News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rare Photos of Bavarian Army members displaying an order from the 1900 China Expedition

Hello gents,

it is not unusual to see photos of Imperial German troops who display medals/orders referring to the 1900 China Expedition.

However I stumbled upon this IMHO "extremely rare" photo of a Bavarian Ulan member wearing a China campaign ribbon.

So please feel free to post other photos of Bavarian Army members displaying China Campaign medals/ribbons and or those referring to the Herero uprising.

Regards

v.Perlet

ul 1.jpg

Hello dedehansen,

unfortunately the photo you posted is extremely unclear and small.

The medallion seems to be that of the China expedition - but the ribbon doesn't match.

From outside right - white stripe, black stripe (so far okay)then white stripe but double the width of the previous black stripe (this would already be wrong. Also the inner stripe is yellow and I think would not show as black on a B/W photo. You can see the ribbon of the Centennial medallion is dark yellow and shows up as light grey on the B/W photo - not black.

See attached photos;

And closeup of the Ulan ribbon

But I am open to discussions as to what ribbon this Ulan is wearing.

Regards

v.Perlet

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

Ribbon.png

Edited by v.Perlet

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

Looks like a MVK ribbon to me. I have never seen the ribbon of the China medal being worn in the Knopfloch.

Hello VtwinVince,

I agree it does look "very matching to a MVK ribbon" it is also what I thought first. But checking on diverse photos I do not see a convincing match yet to an MVK ribbon - since the blue stripe would be far more broader then the black or white.

And the only difference between a MVK ribbon and a China ribbon would be red stripe contra blue and white contra yellow on a B/W photo - more or less I think not able to differentiate.

The "Blue" or "Red" stripe on the Ulan ribbon is more or less equal in width.

Also to my limited understanding this photo is a pre WW1 photo (The cap only displays the Bavarian Kokarde) so an MVK pre-war? on a combat ribbon - or do peacetime and war ribbon look the same?

Ribbon 2.png

IMG_1418.jpg

Ribbon.png

Edited by v.Perlet

Your photo shows still a MVK-ribbon!

The inner stripe is yellow and in the most cases it is black on a b/w photos.

454574102_VzadmiralWedding(Ordensspange).thumb.jpg.83de93fa29b76386a2ce8210abbba11b.jpg

Furthermore the third white stripe is missing on your photo!

white_black_white_red_white and the yellow inner stripe.

I don´t think that your photo is a pre WW1-photo.....

I agree with Leutwein et al. The photographic paper then was ortho- not panchromatic, that´s why yellow and orange show as dark grey or black.

GreyC941602957_China_Neumunster.thumb.jpg.2efe75c20cc660ec88e7465a472f8f77.jpg

China.thumb.jpg.35ca9e558341cc777616da65c2e81d9c.jpg

Edited by GreyC

On 05/02/2022 at 02:27, Leutwein said:

Your photo shows still a MVK-ribbon!

The inner stripe is yellow and in the most cases it is black on a b/w photos.

454574102_VzadmiralWedding(Ordensspange).thumb.jpg.83de93fa29b76386a2ce8210abbba11b.jpg

Furthermore the third white stripe is missing on your photo!

white_black_white_red_white and the yellow inner stripe.

I don´t think that your photo is a pre WW1-photo.....

Hello Leutwein,

Darn it, I was so happy about having found a really rare photo.

I surely can't deny those colors appearing on the photos posted by you and others.

Assuming that yellow and white won't differ on a B/W photo I ignored the not visible white stripe between the red and yellow.

As for the Ulan, well I haven't come across a WW1 photo "yet" showing an e.g. Bavarian with only his state Kokarde.

So the question still would be that of an pre-war MVO or MVK?

Anyhow I would like to keep the thread alive as to its initial topic of Bavarian soldiers showing a China or Herero decoration/award - so if any photos should be posted I would be looking forward to them.

The posted three photos are just in reference to the appearance of yellow off a China ribbon on a B/W photo

Regards

v.Perlet

landwehrdswachin.jpg

prussianofficialchinamedal.jpg

uBildrkb3a.jpg

Edited by v.Perlet