News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 weeks later...

It’s clearly a Prussian soldier, he’s either a Musketeer in parade uniform or a Leutnant but I doubt that.

but if you could show the location where the photograph was taken at the bottom, usually that can help narrow down what regiment he belonged to. 

Hello!

It´s not so difficult...

The photo-studio (Atelier Max Seyffarth) is from Saarbrücken.
    Parts of Feldartillerie-Regiment v. Holtzendorff Nr.8 was in that garrison.

Two Abteilungen (Detachments) were in Saarlouis and the mounted detachment was in Saarbrücken.

He wears a black plume, which was worn only by a couple of Field-Artillery units, but by all mounted detachments and by all soldiers of the regimental staff!

The three batteries of the mounted detachment were in Saarbrücken since April 1, 1898.

According to the white Troddel (bayonet-, or in this case sword-knot) for mounted troops and the absence of rank insignia, here we have a gunner of:

1st battery/mounted Detachment of Field-Artillery-Regiment N°8 in Saarbrücken since 1898 in parade-dress.

590863443_Screenshot(925).png.b60401a44c79ff253454a25bea50f072.png

Sword-knots of the mounted batteries:

1549607654_Screenshot(926).png.bcd5ec45319841c64a74786477ad24de.png

Location 1914:

Red circle: Saarlouis with I. and II. Detachement and their staffs.

Yellow circle: Saarbrücken with regimental staff and mounted Detachment (R = reitend = mounted)

1630870590_Screenshot(927).png.53962695cee352d37c99a0c77728c1b1.png

Order of the transfer of the detachment:

539044535_Screenshot(928).png.c32f030a2ac3131b3b001fec5cdab980.png

War Ministry.  Berlin, March 3, 1898

N°53
    Transfer of the mounted detachment Field Artillery Regiment von Holtzendorff (1st Rhenish) No.8
    In execution of the Most High Cabinet Order of July 28, 1890 - Army Ordinance Gazette page 154 regarding 166 - the transfer of the above-mentioned detachment from Saarlouis to Saarbrücken will take place on April 1, 1898.

N° 860/2.98. A.1.
    by order of, v. der Boeck

(Major-General v.der Boeck was member of the National-Defence-Commission and director of the General War Department)

Edited by The Prussian

• 1 month later...

Wow! Thank u very much, I cant Imagine how much work That was! Am I right, That u mean he was a Gunner ( Kannonier) from the Field Art Reg von Holtzendorff and he was Part of the First Batterie cus of the White sword knot? Thanks Again, I have also an other Person where I am a bit Lost. 

Kind Regards 

FAL v. K

Hello!

No, that´s not possible. Garde hat those "Garde-Litzen" around the neck and on the cuffs.

Your photo shows a gunner of:

1st battery/mounted Detachment of Field-Artillery-Regiment "v. Holtzendorff"  N°8 in Saarbrücken since 1898 in parade-dress.

Here is an old photo of 3rd GRzF:

3.Garde-Rgt.z.F. (Helm).JPG

Edited by The Prussian

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you a lot. I got it now! Do u know something abt the other soldier I posted currently, the picture is from Strassburg and he's wearing smith I just know from the modern Bundeswehr and there it is called Schützenschnur.

Thank you very much again!

Kind Regards!