News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Crown with Swords

Hi Gentlemen, 

Have you ever seen this kind of swords on the Order of the Crown? 

I know that during the WWI it was probably common to reuse peace-time decoration and to adapt them for war merit but I have never seen this "unprofessional" swords attachment. 

IMG_1965.thumb.jpg.ad6b231902bcc709be00f486fe319889.jpg

Thank you in advance for your opinions. 

Best, 

Lucky

1 hour ago, steveBobby said:

Hi Graf!

Yes, I checked the image again. Perhaps this could be some kind of manufacturer error, or a trace of someone artificially damaging it later. 

Sincerely

Steve

More likely the first one, however it could be later addition

Hi,

Thank you both for your comments. 

I would like to hope that the way the swords are added is due to the necessity to convert a peacetime to a military time.

Adding few more photos:

IMG_0196_copy.thumb.jpg.a34b5d45e778a3a8a08860fa7213e41c.jpgIMG_0190(1).thumb.JPG.f5f973b083236eb3d4aa8e47bc976f81.JPG

Also below is the full bar, to which I don't have questions:

IMG_0196(2).thumb.JPG.3eb356d754dc1cc7da3443bc25e8130d.JPGIMG_0195(1).thumb.JPG.67e6923fe29f81dceccd11b90a4a4566.JPG

@Graf, if by any case you have any examples of orders with similar (not the most professional) swords addition that would be very helpful. 

Thank you, 

Lucky

Older regulations mentioned that wartime decorations should be in front of peacetime ones, hence the Order of the Crown with swords should have been in front of the military Order of the Star. Also, many WWI awards with swords were on the Military Virtue ribbon. However there are bars where these rules was not respected, including some at the National Military Museum.

I'm not quite sure how these things happened in the photo. But This appears to be due to damage which resulted in the loss of one side of the sword decoration. On the other side, there is a crooked sword decoration.

image.thumb.png.5078123e0524f32b633671a14230f536.png

33.jpg

Looks like his Stanislaus lost an [upper left as viewed] eagle too!  Appears his awards are attached to uniform using the so-called loop over cord method.

Does anyone know this officer's history?

1 hour ago, steveBobby said:

I'm not quite sure how these things happened in the photo. But This appears to be due to damage which resulted in the loss of one side of the sword decoration. On the other side, there is a crooked sword decoration.

image.thumb.png.5078123e0524f32b633671a14230f536.png

33.jpg

nice pictures Yes those damages happen when the decorations are dropped

• 4 weeks later...
    On 22/07/2023 at 05:03, 922F said:

Does anyone know this officer's history?

His last name is Popa, which is a rather common name and hence difficult to stand out, unless the British, Serbian/Yugoslavian and Russian awards will help.

Just seen thi thread and getting back to original post if i may, i have this example wherectge swords appear to be on tge reverse side of the medal, not tge obverse as indicated on other examples posted, also they appear to he well fitted as if they were integral, any comments welcome

IMG_20230228_155205.jpg

IMG_20230228_155134.jpg

Edited by Alex K
    Photo change

29 minutes ago, Alex K said:

Just seen thi thread and getting back to original post if i may, i have this example wherectge swords appear to be on tge reverse side of the medal, not tge obverse as indicated on other examples posted, also they appear to he well fitted as if they were integral, any comments welcome

In this old thread there is a photo of a medal bar with a similar knight's cross, albeit on Military Virtue ribbon:

post-950-0-54131000-1296079906.jpg

I think this is due to the manufacturers, different manufacturers have their own ideas about where to place the sword. Such as Made by french manufacturer “Lemaitre” ,The swords are placed in the back position.

Sincerely

Steve

image.jpeg.9d52e21dce4ecd1e6acc99518ac8eced.jpeg

in the back position 

570760f0-5483-4b1c-8f3a-ea24d85410a7-jpeg.315148

Edited by steveBobby

6 hours ago, steveBobby said:

I think this is due to the manufacturers, different manufacturers have their own ideas about where to place the sword. Such as Made by french manufacturer “Lemaitre” ,The swords are placed in the back position.

Sincerely

Steve

image.jpeg.9d52e21dce4ecd1e6acc99518ac8eced.jpeg

in the back position 

570760f0-5483-4b1c-8f3a-ea24d85410a7-jpeg.315148

Nice Photo Steve

• 2 weeks later...