News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Need Help In Identifing Waffen SS Uniform

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for posting the additional photos. Unfortunately, I believe this tunic to be a reproduction. The cut is not what I have seen in either Army or SS tunics. The construction seems to be all wrong in my opinion. Another turn off is the sloppy application of the insignia(tabs). I cannot comment on the insignia, as this is not my field of focus. (even if I did have experience with SS insignia, the photos are a little too grainly to authenticate them).

I hope that I am proven wrong.

Regards

Paul

The wool tunic and pants are Swedish manufacture of the period, but the Swedes didn't make uniforms for the Waffen-SS. The markings also are indicative of this. The jacket was probably modified, but the trousers weren't. They are a dead give away. the second set look to have been modified--and made to look very, very used. Thus, I would also cast doubt on the insignia, which did not photograph well, but kinda scream repro. The LAH sleeveband looks like the ones the HIAG was putting in the unit hsitory boos they published. i have one of the Wiking Div. The lightweight uniform and pants may be also Swedish. The markings are not correct for German manufacturing codes, etc. I'm not sure if these are Swedish or not, but they are not German. Photo is not good enough for me to read the label. The skull on the overseas cap is definitely a repro--the "droopy eye" model. Entierior of the hat is also wrong. The bayonet frog looks to be repro, just too new and unworn, and construction appears just a bit off, as they often do. The bayonet itself seems okay, but I suspect it doesn't match the scabbard. The badge, I don't really like either, but I'm not an expert on those---if you can bend it with your fingers, then it has a problem for sure. The helmet is a German M42, but the decals are bad fakes. Also, M42 helmets would not have both decals just the runes. Other than that, the helmet looks like it might be a good one---just needs those old nasty decals removed. With all this, I would cast a doubtful eye on the camo smock, too, but picture of it isn't sharp enough to aid in much more than a hunch that it is probably post-war mnaufacture. Insignia on the coin purse may be okay. Sorry, but try to get your money back.

Steve Z

Hi all,

Okay, let's assume then that most of this is repro stuff. Perhaps it would be good for a reenactor if nothing else and I think he can make a good bit if sold as such.

On the helmet and the bayo though, even if mismatched and repro frog... what kind of price should he look at for each of those?

I have a feeling he should be able to make a good bit from the helmet... and thinking it might be best to sell it as an original WWII German (probably army) helmet which just needs to have the decals properly and carefully removed. Figuring let the next new owner do that as I'm sure Ron would not want to damage the helmet in doing so.

Anyhow any help on such pricing would be good. How about the ammo pouch, belt and shovel set? Again any pricing help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 11 months later...

I thought that Post 31 was very interesting. With the pins attached to the case like that. I was at the "North Carolina State History Museum" last year. They were running a Display or WW2 Items that had been brought back by Residents of the State. I was surprised to see a Luger Holster that had been decorated with a Visor Hat Eagle as well as a couple of other pins. Thanks for posting this Picture and jogging my Memory of the trip. Butch

I may also add that I am a new Member and I have already spent

hours on end at this website, I'm having a wonderful time

and thanks for having me! Butch

the stamps in post #16 and 17 are Russian stamps commonly found in tunics and items that they manufactured - not a 'film production' stamp.

All in all - its a reenactors set that has been worn and beaten up - either from use or to deceive. As a piece of advice - the dealer who 'didnt want to reveal the name fo the vet' - didnt want anyone to do that becasue he kenw it was bad when he sold it... get your moeny back if you can.

• 4 weeks later...

The shovel and carrier are East German surplus. The bayonet with the reproduction frog might be worth $75. The ammo pouch is worth about $25. Tough to put a value on the helmet. To me, the fake decals hurt the value a lot. Most reenactment units would not allow converted Swedish uniforms to be worn. The low cost reproductions from Asia have reduced the prices for this converted stuff that used to be used. Converted Swedish uniforms have no real value anymore.

The shovel and carrier are East German surplus. The bayonet with the reproduction frog might be worth $75. The ammo pouch is worth about $25. Tough to put a value on the helmet. To me, the fake decals hurt the value a lot. Most reenactment units would not allow converted Swedish uniforms to be worn. The low cost reproductions from Asia have reduced the prices for this converted stuff that used to be used. Converted Swedish uniforms have no real value anymore.

Well said and concise!! Thanks Chris!!

Great to see you here!