News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 Waldeck bars - one officer and one EM

Daniel, we are still trying to find out why you can find the Oldenburg cross in all possible combinations of medal-bars and nationalities. Sometimes with a connection to Oldenburg but very often without. Maybe it will remain a mystery forever...

Daniel, we are still trying to find out why you can find the Oldenburg cross in all possible combinations of medal-bars and nationalities. Sometimes with a connection to Oldenburg but very often without. Maybe it will remain a mystery forever...

How about the fact that Oldenburg had and has sea ports. Navy.....

Neither of the backing are dark blue. The frack bar has a black back and the other bar has a dark green back. Just for the heck of it I went throught the award rolls for the Waldeck 4th class with swords and looked for Naval officers. I cross referenced that to the 1918 Navy Ranklist. There were only about 5 Navy Officer who were awarded the Waldeck 4th. Of these only 2 are possible candidates. They are:

Mu(unlauts over the u)ssel EK2, WVK4X (page 227 of the 1918 NRL) LT. d. R MarInf (2.Matr R) Duisburg (Landwehr District) VII (Army Korp District)

Dr. Rube EK2, WVK4X (page 250 of the 1918 NRL) MarOAssArzt d.R.(1.MatrArtR) Lennep (Landwehr District) VII (Army Korp District)

Edited by Paul C

Guest Rick Research

I have only been able to find one single Division which contained elements from both Waldeck and Oldenburg--

10. Ersatz Infanterie Division.

It was formed in 1914 from Brigade Ersatz Bataillonen from Waldeck, Oldenburg, Brunswick, Saxe-Meiningen, Saxe-Weimar, Saxe-Coburg, Reuss, and Schwarzburg. These were combined into regiments within the division in 1916, though I am not sure which battalions ended up in which regiments.

I'd say on the basis of these, that one of these infantry regiments was made out of the Waldeck and Oldenburg units:

368, 269, 370, or 371 Infantry Regiments. Of these 4 choices, I find only one-- the 370th--listed on Waldeck's rolls for officers' awards BUT a very large number of awards in all classes have NO unit shown, at all.

Thanks Rick. Yes, I tend to think the guy was army and not navy. Given that the FA2 was awarded over 63000 times I don't think it will be possible to ID this guy. The published award rolls do not exist. It is a beautiful bar none the less.

I saw too many medal-bars with the FA-Cross which were for sure not navy. Of course thats a possibilty for some of the bars, but not all. Just like the Hanseatic Crosses.

How about the fact that Oldenburg had and has sea ports. Navy.....

Guest Rick Research

Ooooo! :love:

From German and Allied intelligance Orders of Battle.

The 10. EID was formed in 1914 from Brigade Ersatz Bataillonen from the following Infanterie Brigaden:

25, 26, 27, 28, 37, 38, 39, 40, 43, 44, 76, and 83 !!!

Now your DOCTOR should be "easy" to find!

I come up with only FOUR.

I think the most likely was from Staff of 22nd Infantry Division (Waldeck and Saxe-Meiningen AND long service on the Russian Front, making the Austrian awards far more explainable)--

Oberarzt Dr. R?hle (von Lilienstern-- the roll leaves off this part of his last name!!!!) 18.12.14. (Oberarzt 20.2.12 D, Stabsarzt aD alive in 1926, FAR 11 before the war)

OR

Stabsarzt (dR or dL) Dr. Ab?e from-- Inf Rgt 371 on 28.12.15. But there were THREE of them-- can't tell WHICH of this name and rank WAS in 10 EID!!!

Or these two, with NO unit listed in the rolls--

Stabsarzt dR Dr. Griemert (not "Grienert") 9.7.18

Stabsarzt dR Dr. Karl Richter 21.6.18 (good luck with so many of THAT last name!)

Oh where or where are the Saxe-Meiningen rolls!!!!!!

• 5 months later...

Ooooo! :love:

From German and Allied intelligance Orders of Battle.

The 10. EID was formed in 1914 from Brigade Ersatz Bataillonen from the following Infanterie Brigaden:

25, 26, 27, 28, 37, 38, 39, 40, 43, 44, 76, and 83 !!!

Now your DOCTOR should be "easy" to find!

I come up with only FOUR.

I think the most likely was from Staff of 22nd Infantry Division (Waldeck and Saxe-Meiningen AND long service on the Russian Front, making the Austrian awards far more explainable)--

Oberarzt Dr. R?hle (von Lilienstern-- the roll leaves off this part of his last name!!!!) 18.12.14. (Oberarzt 20.2.12 D, Stabsarzt aD alive in 1926, FAR 11 before the war)

OR

Stabsarzt (dR or dL) Dr. Ab?e from-- Inf Rgt 371 on 28.12.15. But there were THREE of them-- can't tell WHICH of this name and rank WAS in 10 EID!!!

Or these two, with NO unit listed in the rolls--

Stabsarzt dR Dr. Griemert (not "Grienert") 9.7.18

Stabsarzt dR Dr. Karl Richter 21.6.18 (good luck with so many of THAT last name!)

Oh where or where are the Saxe-Meiningen rolls!!!!!!

Hi Rick,

now we know, where the saxe-meiningen rolls are.... :cheers:

Maybe with a little help....

Best regards

Werner

Guest Rick Research

Why, yes we do indeed NOW. :catjava::cheeky:

OK, I have gotten through HALF of the pages,so there are still 50 percent to enter, but SO FAR I only have found ONE of those four--

still No First Name...

11. Juni 1915: Oberarzt Dr. R?hle von Lilienstern, Gehilfe des Divisionsarztes 22. Infanterie Division.

Here he is on page 55 of the Roll, Werner:

Notice that in the "reasons & excuses" column it is noted that he was "born in Hildburgshausen" and so counted as a "native." That MIGHT eventually help give him back his first name. Nothing from Coburg or Weimar for him, so he is still in the running as a suspect.

Remind me when I am done transcribing the Roll in a couple of weeks and we'll see if any of the other three got one from May 1916 on.

Hi Rick,

Hugo R?hle von Lilienstern, born 9 August 1882 in Bedheim (Kreis Hildburghausen). Attended the Kaiser Wilhelms-Akademie from 28 March 1903 to 15 Feb 1908. Medical Doctor on 23 Jul 1909 and Assistenzarzt on 18.10.09. Initially in Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 82 until 1911. Stabsarzt on 4.8.15

Regards

Glenn

Glenn J said:
    Medical Doctor on 23 Jul 1909

Yes! The title of his dissertation was "Über Bauchkontusionen in der Armee".

But his more important career started after the war: as a paleontologist. He undertook several excavations in Thuringia and found important dinosaur fossils. There is even a dinosaur "Ruehleia" named after him.

Rühle died in 1946.

It might be possible to find a photo of him.

Edited by webr55