News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Today I've got this really nice CDV of a bavarian officer. He wears at the neck :

Bayern, Orden vom Hl. Michael 2.Klasse

Preussen, Kronenorden 2.Klasse

Schweden, Schwertorden

an at the bar :

Bayern, Milit?rverdienstorden Ritterkreuz 2.Klasse mit Schwerter

Bayern, Milit?rverdienstorden Ritterkreuz 1.Klasse ohne Schwerter

Bayern, Verdienstorden der bayrischen Krone, Ritterkreuz

Preussen, Eisernes Kreuz 2.Klasse 1870

Preussen, Kriegsdenkm?nze f?r K?mpfer

Bayern, Armeedenkzeichen

Bayern, Dienstauszeichnung II.Klasse f?r 24 Jahre

Is the ID of this guy possible ?

Edited by derGeneral

Guest Rick Research

WONDERFUL portrait of an Oberst taken between 1891-1895 :jumping::jumping::jumping: but you need a rank List from that period-- before anything I have. :(

On the bar, the first one must be the verdienstKREUZ and the second one the verdienstORDER

Not both the verdienst order, the difference is clearly to be seen between the crosses, the verdienst order had kind of flames whereas the verdienst kreuze had just a maltese cross.

Kind regards,

Jacky

Edited by Jacky

WONDERFUL portrait of an Oberst taken between 1891-1895 :jumping::jumping::jumping: but you need a rank List from that period-- before anything I have. :(

Even if he had no medals.......................how about that mustache! :off topic: Man I wish I could get mine to grow like that!!!!

Der General is correct. Before 1905, the lower two classes were the Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse and the Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse. The Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse did not have flames between the arms. Swords were not authorized until 1891. In 1905, the orders was revised and the Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse and Ritterkreuz 2. Klasse became the III. and IV. Klassen, respectively. Flames were added to the IV. Klasse then.

Clasps were authorized for the Kriegsdenkm?nze 1870/71 in 1895. Their lack on the bar here, but the presence of swords on the MVO, is presumably how Rick got the 1891-1895 date range.

I stand corrected. Always good to learn new stuff.

No, you were right, they were both classes of the order. The MVO is just confusing because of the pre-1905 lack of flames on the RK2, which became the 4th Class. So on the black and white photo, Jacky missed that the cross was enameled and wasn't an MVK. Simple mistake, no biggy.

If Rick had bothered to explain why he deduced the picture was taken between 1891 and 1895, then maybe the confusion would have been avoided, but I guess magicians don't like to reveal how they perform their magic ;)

I'm not a magician, just a scholar. My goal is just to get the knowledge out there. I have spent a lot of time and effort over the past month updating my website, adding about 300 more images and a lot of text, including more descriptions of the various decorations. The Bavarian MVO is actually one that is giving me trouble as I can't figure our exactly what is the difference between the Grand Cross and the 1st Class.

So on the black and white photo, Jacky missed that the cross was enameled and wasn't an MVK. Simple mistake, no biggy.
    Now this is just almost(!) right. The old MVKs (1st modell) were enameled too, but made of Silver, whereas the older MVOs are always real gold. Not possible to see on the picture, but as we know he's an officer and no NCO, it leaves just that, what derGeneral wrote. ;)

Now this is just almost(!) right. The old MVKs (1st modell) were enameled too, but made of Silver, whereas the older MVOs are always real gold. Not possible to see on the picture, but as we know he's an officer and no NCO, it leaves just that, what derGeneral wrote. ;)

See, I told you I need more information on the MVO, especially the pre-World War I evolution of the various classes. Thanks for the additional information.

To further help identify your man, he was a staff grade officer (Major thru Oberst since I can't see the pips on his banjos) from either the Bavarian 1. Feldartillerie-Regt. or Bavarian 7. Feldartillerie-Regt.

Dave

Gentlemen,

As an aside I thought that some of you might appreciate a closer view of a Swedish Sword Order commander?s cross such as our subject is wearing. While being, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful orders, its construction is certainly among the most complex.

Through the kindness of a fellow collector, I was able to borrow his example for the picture below.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...

Got him!

This is Theodor von Bomhard (1841 - after 1911)

Born Wunsiedel 12.1.1841

(Bavarian) Unterlieutenant 16.5.1859

Oberst 11.12.1888

Generalmajor 12.6.1893

char. GenLt zD 25.12.1897

char. Gen der Artillerie zD 3.3.1911

He was Commander of FAR1 in 1891, Sektionschef Field Artillery Inspection in 1893, Commander of 2nd Field Artillery Brigade in 1895.

His awards per 1895 are BMV4X, BMV3X, Bavarian Crown Order Knight, St. Michael Commander 2nd, EK2, KO2, KDM70, Bavar 1866 cross, DA 2nd, Swedish Sword Order Commander 2nd and ÖFJ1 (Grand Cross). The two last ones do not show up in the 1891 RL. So this photo must have been taken sometime between 1891 and 1893 (promotion to Generalmajor), and before he got the ÖFJ1.

Trivia: He was the grandfather of SS-Gruppenführer Adolf von Bomhard.

Edited by webr55

Got him!

This is Theodor von Bomhard (1841 - after 1911)

Born Wunsiedel 12.1.1841

(Bavarian) Unterlieutenant 16.5.1859

Oberst 11.12.1888

Generalmajor 12.6.1893

char. GenLt zD 25.12.1897

char. Gen der Artillerie zD 3.3.1911

He was Commander of FAR1 in 1891, Sektionschef Field Artillery Inspection in 1893, Commander of 2nd Field Artillery Brigade in 1895.

His awards per 1895 are BMV4X, BMV3X, Bavarian Crown Order Knight, St. Michael Commander 2nd, EK2, KO2, KDM70, Bavar 1866 cross, DA 2nd, Swedish Sword Order Commander 2nd and ?FJ1 (Grand Cross). The two last ones do not show up in the 1891 RL. So this photo must have been taken sometime between 1891 and 1893 (promotion to Generalmajor), and before he got the ?FJ1.

Trivia: He was the grandfather of SS-Gruppenf?hrer Adolf von Bomhard.

He received the BMV3bx (RK2 war decoration) 01.11.1870 as Oberleutnant in the 1. AR.

BMV3a (RK1) 23.12.1883 as Major in the 4. AR

BMV2 (Comthur) 27.12.1894 as Generalmajor

Star for BMV2 - 23.12.1898 Generalleutnant

BMV1 (Grandcross) 24.10.1901

Nice collection of BMV?s. Through all classes at this time.

• 10 months later...

Now here's something interesting: Theodor von Bomhard died after 1911, indeed, but quite a number of years after. By pure chance, when looking through the Heer 1944 ranklist, I noticed that he is still (!! :speechless1::speechless1: ) listed among the Generals zV! :speechless1::speechless1:

By far the oldest one of course, he still had the right to wear the uniform of Art Reg 7. Wonder if he could at 103!

Edited by webr55

Now here's something interesting: Theodor von Bomhard died after 1911, indeed, but quite a number of years after. By pure chance, when looking through the Heer 1944 ranklist, I noticed that he is still (!! :speechless1::speechless1: ) listed among the Generals zV! :speechless1::speechless1:

By far the oldest one of course, he still had the right to wear the uniform of Art Reg 7. Wonder if he could at 103!

I found in Feldgrau.net this sentence

"On 6 April 1939 General der Artillerie a. D. [bayern] Theodor von Bomhard celebrated the 80th anniversary of his enlistment."

• 3 years later...