News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thank you Bernhard! This opens up an entire new world for research. I wonder if that was the norm for PoWs to be released over a year after the war ended. Flanders and Cholm I'm familiar with, but Pripjet Swamps is a new one for me. Can you tell me what he did in WWII? Thank you so very much again.

Hello:

Thank you for posting this interesting group.

After WW I apparent different criteria ( if any ) were applied when it came to the release of German POW held by Allied Powers. I have seen some data on those held by France who were released as late as 1920.

Presently international rules provide for speedy release after hostilities end but then...

The Pripjet ( or Pripiet )swamps are a huge area in ( I think) present day Russia.. During WW II they were a favorite Partisan area in the then Soviet Union.

D.K. Lambrecht is listed on some docs. as Studienrat and Dr. der Philosophie so had some rank in the education field and a doctorate in philosophy . In WW II was Hauptmann and in 1941 deputy commander of POW construction and labor battalion 6.

Bernhard H. Holst

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I think many German soldiers were released in 1920, Sick and wounded are usually earlier.

He was captured in the Hermannstelle, this was basically a second line of defense behind the Siegfriedline, there were a few different one, Hundigsstelle, Hermannstelle etc. hermannstell was fron Gent to Marle.

There is not a lot out there about this stage of the warm, even less so because it was a french sector (I think) and so of little interest for English speaking authors...

I find it interesting that he was on both fronts, but I guess after the Russians capitulated, many men were transferred to the Western Front. There are two other official typed letters he wrote during WWII and a WWI photograph that I will put on as well. Thanks for all the info, again it really has opened doors for more research for me.

Hello:

#37 translation of the letter from his daughter Jutta of which I have translated the more important portions:

30.June. 1942

Dear dad.

Tonight I want to write you a specially nice letter. We have now in school learned this script.

This letter is my first undertaking in this field (note: writing in this script).

Thanks for the nice swim suit. It fits exactly. The color is also as I wished. I am enthusiastic over the gym shoes.Many thanks.

In my next letter I will write of my vacation plans.

Your Jutta

Note: vacation plans most likely refers to the forthcoming school summer vacation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello:

Ref. to # 38: a summary of the pictured communication indicates a circular to the members of an association with the proud number of 8. It addresses the matter of a planned but then cancelled, get-together. It was to have taken place at the occasion of the anniversary of the formation of the association. Some considerable expenses had been incurred and contributions to needed funds are solicited.

It appears to have been some school related association.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello:

ref. # 39 and 40: again a summary results in an exchange of correspondence between Hptm. Lambrecht stationed in Kopenhagen at the time ( 1942 ) and a Hptm. Vogelsang who seems to have been the commanding officer of the brother in law of K. Lambrecht who was declared missing in action on the Eastern front. His name and rank: Feldwebel Heinrich Heinemann, 44 years old, leaving a wife and three children. He had served in WW I. K. Lambrecht asks for any information which could possibly establish some hope that Fw. Heinemann became a Soviet POW. It furthermore gives information of official regulations concerning the possible promotion of military personnel to officer rank who became POW if certain criteria are met which was the case with Fw. Heinemann. Copy of that regulation was attached. K. Lambrecht's sister was in some economic difficulties and a promotion would enhance her situation.

Bernhard H. Holst

Needless to say, I'm surprised myself at how nice it is. My hat is off to Bernhard Holst for all the help in translating the documents. Thank you very much Bernhard!

Edited by azyeoman