News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bringing History to life...

Alex K

Hi all, time to add a few to the collection, the first RAF 1940

scramble.JPG

A few "Capitulation" images

capitulation 2 900.JPG

capitulation.JPG

luneburg copy.JPG

Paul_Reichelt_(1945) copy.JPG

Hitler and Blondi at the Berghof with someone else and General Patton

Gen George Patton.JPG

Hitler_and_Goebbels_1943 e copy.JPG

This one's a sort of "Lets be friends US General 30th Division, he looks sort of doubtful

30TH DIVISION IN EUROPE, W copy.JPG

A quick step back in time

General E A Garlington US army

Brigadier Charles Pomeroy and daughter

Brigadier General Charles  copy.JPG

GARLINGTON, E.A. GENERAL 2 copy.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi Gentlemen, Larry thanks for the kind words, your images are your usual quality work, Peter, you are quite right, there are a few  people left who see some of these things within their own living memory, for many more it falls into "History" and their view is frequently old, faded, or poor quality black and white images. A sensitively and accurately colourised image can make the difference between a quick dis-interested glance at an image and more time spent studying it, spotting things which often get missed in all the "Grey"

regards

Alex

Moving forward a bit in time, I did this just for the horse, a fine dappled grey  people and uniforms are not too hard, I am not however an animal expert but I like it

horse rider.JPG

Edited by Alex K

Richard Bong USAAF

Medal of Honor

Upon the recommendation of Far East Airforce commander General George Kennedy, Bong received the Medal of Honor from General Douglas MacArthur in a special ceremony in December 1944. Bong’s Medal of Honor citation states that he flew combat missions despite his status as an “instructor”, which was one of his duties as standardization officer for V Fighter Command. His rank of major would have qualified him for a squadron command, but he always flew as a flight (four-plane) or element (two-plane) leader.

Bong then became a pilot assigned to Lockhead’s Burbank California plant, where he flew P-80 Shooting Star jet fighters at the Lockheed Air Terminal. On August 6, 1945, the plane’s primary fuel pump malfunctioned during take off on the acceptance flight of P-80A 44-85048. Bong either forgot to switch to the auxiliary fuel pump, or for some reason was unable to do so Bong cleared away from the aircraft, but was too low for his parachute to deploy. The plane crashed into a narrow field at Oxnard St & Satsuma Ave, North Hollywood.

His death was front-page news across the country, sharing space with the first news of the bombing of Hiroshima

Richard Bong.JPG

There's no shortage of colour pics of "Ike" but I thought I'd add my attempt

General Dwight Eisenhower.JPG

well known mugshot of Joachim Peiper

peiper copy.JPG

peiper 2.JPG

Edited by Alex K
    stupid computer

King David Kalakaua of Hawaii

Also known as the Merry Monarch on account of his great love for music and dancing, he actually re-introduced the “Hula-Hula” dance after it had been banned by his late mother, the Queen as being “Too salacious”, he died whilst on a trip to San Francisco

I collect orders decorations and medals as a main hobby so look out for unusual ODM’s after some research I identified most of those he is wearing, for those interested,

Medal bar, Sweden order of Vasa, Denmark order of Dannebrog, Belgium order of Leopold

At the neck

Hawaii Order-of-Kamehameha

Hawaii Collar The Royal Order of Kalakaua I

Breast stars

Order-of-Kamehameha

The Royal Order of Kalakaua I

Unknown but looks like a BMVO

Japan order of the Chrysanthemum

UK Order of St Michael and St George

Unknown but looks like Belgium Order of Leopold

The Royal Order of the Crown of Hawaii (VERY similar to the Prussian Order of the Crown at first glance)

Right Breast ?

King david kalakaua.JPG

Alex,  Thank you, simply an outstanding rendition for King David!!  Terrific work!!    A slight comment-- I would expect that his unidentified star belongs to Hawaii's Royal Order of Kapiolani [image below].   

220px-Kapiolani-grandcross.jpg

Hi, thanks for the comments, I quite liked doing him as he was different to my usual output, do you mean the one I called the BMVO?, if so, you have given me invaluable info and I can now modify my colourisation many thanks

regards

Yes, Alex,  that is the one.  You correctly identified his Belgian Leopold Order star as well.  The left star could be from any of the many [some sources say 22] foreign grand cross/collar awards he received during his 1881 world tour.  He appears to have worn his Japanese Chrysanthemum and Crown of Johore stars frequently  as signs of Pacific solidarity but this looks like neither.  King David sat for several official portraits wearing this same uniform and decorations -- believe that his Wiki entry includes one in correct colors.  Some contemporary hand-tinted postcards use this image but have errors, for example wrongly depicting the sash as red.  Thanks again for this outstanding image!! 

Edited by 922F

Hi Thanks for the further info, I guessed that he had many other ODM's I've seen one where he is wearing the Italian order of St Maurice and St Lazarus, attached is a revised version and thanks once again

regards

Medal bar, Sweden order of Vasa, Denmark order of Dannebrog, Belgium order of Leopold

At the neck

Hawaii Order-of-Kamehameha

Hawaii Collar The Royal Order of Kalakaua I

Breast stars

Order-of-Kamehameha

The Royal Order of Kalakaua I

Hawaii Order of Kapiolani-Grand Cross

Japan order of the Chrysanthemum

UK Order of St Michael and St George

Unknown but looks like Belgium Order of Leopold

The Royal Order of the Crown of Hawaii (VERY similar to the Prussian Order of the Crown at first glance)

Right Breast ?

Could moderators delete the previous post (411)

King david kalakaua.JPG

Outstanding Alex!  Certainly happy to assist in a small way.  In many of King David's images he wears a single star on his right breast.  Some of these images appear to illustrate a four arm cross with nothing between the arms superimposed on an eight point star with fluted rays.   There is a Hawaii - medals thread here which does not seem to discuss this 'lone star'.

I cannot locate a list of all of the King's awards but know that he received some during his world tour from countries that he did not visit.     

Hi Thanks, I too have searched for a "Complete" list of his awards, particularly, European ones without success, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Prussian order of the red or Black Eagle as they seem to have been sprinkled around fairly liberally!! unfortunately the image is too indistinct, never mind, maybe one day...

regards

Alex

Might be--one of the images of the 'right star' seems to have a Greek cross in a central disk/medallion.   Kalakaua received one or two Russian orders so St. Anne may be possible.  Or, as we've seen many times before, the image with the cross could have been so heavily retouched that the piece remains forever a mystery!

Yep, St Anne is a possibility if he was awarded one! I think I'll just leave it as an indistinct blob and let viewers put their own in!

Thanks for the help

edit, well, why not!

kalakaua.JPG

Edited by Alex K

• 1 month later...

Hi Alex,

very nice pictures of king Kalakaua of Hawaii. The coloured picture you made of him is excellent. When I was in Honolulu many years ago, I visited Iolani Palace, which is now a museum, displaying many of the king's orders.

As you also collect orders and medals, you might be interested in the only Hawaii item I have in my collection; Grand Officer of the Crown of Hawaii, bestowed to a Japanese official in 1888.  Unlike a normal grand-officer class, with neck decoration and breaststar, this grand officer class consisted of a sash (narrower than the grand cross sash of the same order) without sashbadge and a similar breaststar as the grand cross.The document is signed by king Kalakaua himself. Hope you enjoy the pictures, regards,

Pieter

P1020784.JPG

P1020786.JPG

Hi Pieter, thanks for the complement and the photos of your Crown order, amazing pieces to have in your collection and extremely rare too I believe. I will keep them on file if you don't mind.

thanks

Alex