News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cuban Victory Medals

• Replies 174
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,

This subject, the Cuban Victory medal, sat for four months without a peep being posted. Muckaroon1960 posted his medal and asked the question: is it a copy? Because of that question, eight members chimed in. Too much information and photos are never too much. After all, this is a chat site and this medal alone has more twists and turns than all the others medals out there.

I belong to five other forums and the most you will see posted on them after the initial post is "wow"," nice find" and "thanks for posting it." Why? Because the other medals of the world only have a few variations for each award. They were not manufactured or copied on the level that each of the victory medals have been.

This chatting on the Cuban, I hope, has open many other eyes to look at it much closer and see things we did not see before. Hopefully it will add interest to other Cuban medals to come to your way. The question was not was this medal an original or fake, however it was much more.

Regards, Jim

I agree with the observation Jim. the subject is extensive and always found something to talk and exchange information. Even the times when we have nothing to show rereading the older threads, run into some detail that we have not observed before. This is what makes me happy, new discoveries!

Regards

Lambert

Hello muckaroon,

That is probably the crux of the matter. As long as you, as the collector, is happy with the piece, then that is all that really matters.

We, as collectors, can sometimes get too wrapped up in technicalities and details. As long as the collector is happy with their purchase, and the piece; irrespective of whether or not it is an 'original' or a 'copy' then all should be well. It is, as your last post shows, a fair companion to the other type pieces you have.

Welcome aboard the vic collection train. It may stop at many different stations but it goes in whatever direction the collector wants.

As I mentioned in an earlier post 'It is a nice example'.

Regards,

Rob

I agree 100%

:D :D :D

Lambert

• 4 months later...

I agree 100%

:D:D:D

Lambert

RARE Authorized and Official  - Cuban Victory Medal I am posting it on ebay on 5/1/2015

Fourteen countries had a common victory medal. Of these the Cuban victory medal is the third rarest of the fourteen. The United States made about 3,000,000, the United Kingdom made about 6,000,000 and Cuba ordered about 6,000 to 7,000 which were made by the Establishment of ADREAN CHOBILLON, located in Paris.

The Cuban medal, I marked "not for sale" on the right, is an just example of the most common of the 6,000-7,000 and is only there to help those interested in the medal which is for sale. During 1920, there was a social class difference between officer ranks and the enlisted men. This medal for sale is the rare of rarest Cuban medals, it is believed the gilded medals were ordered for the officer class which would put it at low number of that 6-7,000 figure sent to Cuba. The gilded type is not often seen or offered for sale. At a later date a different gilded medals was made by a the firm of Vilardebo and Riera who was an official military supplier for the Cuban Government in the 1950's. Although this second gilded medal is not official issue, it is also rare.

The rim is marked with the correct markings of ADREAN CHOBILLON which is AC in a triangle alongside the word BRONZE.

I wrote the book World War I, Victory medals published in 2014, and I guarantee this medal to be as stated, official and true. (downsizing).

e-cuban1.jpg

e-cuban2.jpg

e-cuban3.jpg

e-cuban4.jpg

e-cuban5.jpg

e-cuban6.jpg

• 6 months later...
    8 minutes ago, black120878 said:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure that you will find much information here to satisfy whatever vic interests you have.

In regards your question: NO, the item on ebay you listed is definitely not original.  It is a fake that the particular ebay vendor is well known for.  Avoid this item.

There are enough hi-resolution pictures on this sub-thread that you can use to determine what is an original cuban vic and what is a reproduction.

Regards,
    Rob

5 minutes ago, RobW said:

Hello,

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure that you will find much information here to satisfy whatever vic interests you have.

In regards your question: NO, the item on ebay you listed is definitely not original.  It is a fake that the particular ebay vendor is well known for.  Avoid this item.

There are enough hi-resolution pictures on this sub-thread that you can use to determine what is an original cuban vic and what is a reproduction.

Regards,
    Rob

Thanks!!!

Regards, Sergey

Hello Sergey

Welcome
    Rob this right, stay away from anything this seller is a deceptive known. Unfortunately in search of advantages many beginning collectors, purchase your copies and think they are a great advantage. unfortunately, only lost money.

My advice is: read carefully the segments of each Victory Medal, you will browse valuable information about each one, will discover
    numerous unique varieties and correct reissues. Doubt ask any one of us.

Cheers
    Lambert
    Edited by lambert

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and thought I would share a picture of my Cuba victory medal which is contained in this group on a medal bar. I also have the enamel ribbon bar. The victory medal is a Laslo official type but I would be grateful if anyone can let me know what the other medals are.

thanks in advance

Rob

IMG_5640.JPG

On 31/01/2016 at 12:00, sumserbrown said:
    On 31/01/2016 at 12:00, sumserbrown said:

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and thought I would share a picture of my Cuba victory medal which is contained in this group on a medal bar. I also have the enamel ribbon bar. The victory medal is a Laslo official type but I would be grateful if anyone can let me know what the other medals are.

thanks in advance

Rob

IMG_5640.JPG

hi Rob

Excellent group, very hard to find.
    medals:

1. Order of Military Merit, III class, for good conduct
    2. Long Service Medal in bronze (40 ??)
    3. Victory Medal
    4. Armed Forces Merit Medal 1933 in gilt,
    5. National Reconciliation 1933 Medal in gilt with star on ribbon

The last bar I believe that specializes in shooting (??)

• 2 months later...
    29 minutes ago, macchianera72 said:

Hi, all

I'm from Italy.
    I'm new in the forum, 
    I bought a interallied victory medal of cuba
    and I ask You if it's original or not...

cuba retro.jpg

Yes, It is an example OK. It is in excellent condition !

see if there is a mark of the edge manufacturer?

Edited by lambert

• 1 year later...

Thoughts on this medal?  As there is no maker's mark on the rim or designers name on the obverse, I believe this is identified in the Michels book as an unofficial type 2.  I looked under a magnifying glass and confirmed the mark to the right of Victory's feet is a scratch, not a name.  Also, note that the reverse appears to be a misstrike. 

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG