News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bayern Prinz-Regent-Luitpold Jubiläums-Medaille

Hi Alexandre,

As I make it out, there are two series of medals that go by this name.

The first was founded on 30 March 1905 and had a (1) gold neck decoration, (2) a medal in silver and (3) a medal in bronze. The second was founded on 24 February 1911 and it consisted of, again, (1) gold neck decoration, (2) a medal in silver and (3) a medal in bronze. In the case of the second series, the crown is an integral part, not a special class, of the medal.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 4 years later...

I decided to revive and respond to this topic because (1) I keep seeing the medals confused, and (2) Rick's recommended search for "Luitpold" only turns up this thread.

This is my understanding. Please let me know if I have made any mistakes and please add any additional information you may have.

1. By an Armeebefehl dated 12. März 1905, Luitpold, Prinz von Bayern, regent of Bavaria, announced the creation of the Jubilee Medal (Jubiläumsmedaille) for the Bavarian Army. The event was the 70th anniversary of Luitpold's entering the army. This medal is a bronze medal, oval in form. It is worn on a watered ribbon in the colors of the House and Knighly Order of St. Hubertus (cinnabar red with light green edges/zinnoberrot mit hellgrünen Randstreifen). The obverse has a bust of Luitpold and the inscription "LUITPOLD PRINZ-REGENT VON BAYERN". The reverse has the inscription: "AM 70. JAHRESTAG MEINES DIENST-ANTRITTES DER BAYER. ARMEE GEWIDMET XII. III. MCMV."

The Jubilee Medal was awarded to (1) all active officers, medical officers and Fähnrichs, and all active higher officials (obere Beamten) in the military administration, (2) the Inhabers of Bavarian regiments and those officers à la suite to Bavarian units, (3) recalled officers and medical officers zur Disposition, (4) officers of the 1. Bavarian Field Artillery Regiment (Luitpold's old unit) who had been retired with the permission to wear the uniform, and (5) capitulant NCOs, Büchsenmachers, Waffenmeisters and Regimentssattlers. On 12. Juli 1905, this was extended to include all officers and medical officers zur Disposition, all officers, medical officers and higher officials retired with the permission to wear the uniform, and all officers, medical officers and higher officials of the reserve and Landwehr.

The Jubilee Medal ranked after the Iron Cross 2nd Class but before any other awards of German states.

2. By a decree dated 30. Juni 1905, Luitpold created the Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille, This was a similar decoration for civil servants. This medal came in gold, worn as a neck badge, and silver, worn as a breast badge (I'm not sure if there was a bronze version of this award). It was oval and worn on a ponceau red (ponceaurot) ribbon. The obverse was exactly the same as the Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army, while the reverse had the crowned Bavarian coat of arms and the inscription "IN TREVE FEST 1905".

3. By a decree dated 6. März 1911, it was decided to award the Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille to all those qualified military personnel who did not already have the Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army. This medal was bronze like the Jubilee Medal, but the form was the same as the 1905 Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille. It was also worn on the same ribbon as the Jubilee Medal. Thus it was officially called the Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille in Bronze am Bande der Jubiläums-Medaille.

The same personnel eligible for the 1905 medal were eligible for the 1911 medal. In addition, also eligible were (1) active lower officials in the military administration, (2) active Fahnenjunkers, (3) active Unterärzte and Unterveterinäre, (4) Bavarian officers, medical and veterinary officers, officials and NCOs in the Schutztruppen, (5) civilian instructors at military institutions and military chaplains, and (6) NCOs retired with permission to wear the uniform. Also, all recipients of the Militär-Sanitäts-Ehrenzeichen and the Militär-Verdienst-Medaille.

The decrees don't mention Imperial naval officers with Bavarian citizenship, but like the Schutztruppen, I believe they were also eligible. Navy ranklists don't include the award.

The regulations and decrees I have don't say when or under what circumstances the Jubilee Medal or the Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille was to be awarded with the crown, or whether the Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille in Bronze am Bande der Jubiläums-Medaille could be awarded with the crown. It isn't rank-based; plenty of generals don't have the crown on their Jubilee Medal. Most of the 1.FAR Jubilee Medal recipients do have the crown, though.

-----

So, you have three basic medals

1. ponceau red ribbon, reverse with the Bavarian coat of arms and the inscription "IN TREVE FEST 1905".: Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille, mainly for civil servants. Here is a silver example from Uwe Bretzendorfer:

2. cinnabar red ribbon with green edges, reverse with inscription "AM 70. JAHRESTAG MEINES DIENST-ANTRITTES DER BAYER. ARMEE GEWIDMET XII. III. MCMV.": 1905 Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army (Jubiläumsmedaille für die bayerische Armee). Here is an example from medal-medaille.com:

3. cinnabar red ribbon with green edges, reverse with the Bavarian coat of arms and the inscription "IN TREVE FEST 1905": 1911 Prinz-Regent-Luitpold-Medaille am Bande der Jubiläums-Medaille. I don't have an example handy.

So if you have a military medal bar, and the medal is on the red ribbon with green edges, you need to see the reverse to know whether it is the 1905 Jubilee or the 1911 PRLM.

Again, please let me know if you have additional information or corrections, and please show some examples.

Regards,

Dave

Hello Dave

I want to add some informations to your post.

We have to differ between 3 types of the Jubiläumsmedaille and 2 types of the Prinzregent Luitpoldmedaille:

The first type of the Jubiläumsmedaille was created on 12.03 1905. Dave´s information concerning the circumstances are correct.

Here a picture of this type.

There was just one class of this type.

Edited by Bavaria

In 1909 the crown was established. The reason was the 70th aniversity of becoming Colonel in Chief. This “new class” was especially for officers and NCOs of 1. Feldartillerieregiment (the Prinzregent´s regiment), also for veterans of 1. FAR from 1866 and 1870/71. Owner of the Juliläumsmedaille (type of 1905) had to put the older one away and wear just the new crown-type. The same ribbon from 1905 was used.

There were 2 variations:

- Breast decoration: gilded; around 2000 awards

- Neck decoration: golden; just around 5 or 6 awards (e.g. Bavarian war minister).

The picture shows one of the gilded medals.

Edited by Bavaria

The last type came in 1911 because of the 90th birthday of the Prinzregent. It looks like the 1909-type, just showing the years “1821 – 1911”. It was made from bronze.

There are 2 types:

- Bronze

- Gilded

Each had just around 30 awards to especially officers with tight connections to the 1. FAR or to the Prinzregent.

Edited by Bavaria

Now, let´s have a look at the Prinzregent Luitpold-Medaille.

It was also established in 1905. It was an award especially for merit. Please notice the different backside.

The classes were:

- Bronze (breast decoration)

- Silver (breast decoration)

- Gold (neck decoration)

There is a Bronze one.

In 1911 the crown was established for all 3 classes. The reason was also the birthday of the Prinzregent.

First you had to have the class without crown, and then you got the medal with crown. It was still for merit and still with red ribbon.

Here a Bronze medal with crown on a single bar.

Edited by Bavaria

Also in 1911 officers and NCO, who had no Jubiläumsmedaille, got the Prinzregent Luitpold-Medaille in Bronze. But this medal was not worn with the red ribbon, it was worn with the ribbon of the Jubiläumsmedaille (red with green edges).

Here is a document also with the additon "am Bande der Jubiläumsmedaille"

Here is a group I already posted on this very forum, but I can't find it anymore. This officer served in the 1st FAR:

Hptm a.D.Wilhelm Löll

1.Bayerisches FAR „Prinzregent Luitpold“

(*14.10.1888- † ?)

Ordensspange:

• Preußen, Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914-1924 am Kämpferband (OEK 1904), E gs/S
    • Bayern, Militär-Verdienst-Orden 4. Klasse mit Krone und Schwertern (OEK 412), S
    • Bayern, Militär-Verdienst-Orden 4. Klasse mit Schwertern (OEK 413), S
    • Deutsches Reich 1933-45, FEK (OEK 3803/1), Hersteller R.V. Pforzheim 34
    • Bayern, Militärische Jubiläumsmedaille mit Krone und Jahreszahlen „1839-1909“ am Band, 1902-1912 (OK 518/1), Br ox
    • Bayern, Goldene Hochzeits-Jubiläumsmedaille, 1918 (OEK 479), KM

Andere Gegenstände:

• 6er Miniaturkette im (beschädigten) Originaletui des Juweliers Gebr. Hemmerle und 2 Feldspangen (5er und 6er)
    • 1 Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (OEK 3293), 1 bayerische DA 2. Kl. für 24 Dienstjahre 1906-1921 (OEK 525), ohne Band

Urkunden:

• Jub.-Med. mit Krone 28.10.1909, MVO4 mit X 16.4.1914, MVO4 mit Krone u. X 17.5.1918, Kyffhäuser KDM 23.09.1926, FEK 01.02.1935, Verw. Abz. in Schwarz 25.08.1936

• 8 months later...
    • 8 years later...

I found this thread very helpful. My main interest are German Admirals and there are a few from Bavaria that could have been eligible for the 1905 or 1911 Jubilee Medal. 

On another thread about Char. Konteradmiral Waldemar Hirth Dave said: "I am not sure if Navy officers received the 1905 jubilee medal. It was the Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army, and the Bavarian regulations published in 1905 do not mention the Navy at all. That said, the 1911 regulations do not mention the Navy either, though they do mention the Schutztruppe. I also have not been able to find any authorizing regulations in the Marine-Verordnungsblatt."

That said, I was hoping if someone might know if navy officers were eligible for the 1905 Jubilee Medal, or just the 1911 medal?

The Excel table named "seeoffiziere Gesamtliste" I was given on this forum lists the abbreviation "BLM3J 05" for a handful of naval officers. I was told "BLM3J" represents the Bronzene Prinzregent Luitpold-Medaille am Band der Jubiläumsmedaille from 1911. The odd thing is the addition of "05" in the abbreviation. The only thing that comes to mind is that this represents the year 1905, when the Jubilee Medal for the Bavarian Army was issued. There is no abbreviation "BLM3J 11" in this excel table. Another thing that adds to the confusion is the award date written for the "BLM3J 05" in this table. Every award date written for admirals is in the year 1912 or 1913 (with the exception of Vizeadmiral von Spee). So this would mean it can't be the Jubilee medal from 1905.

Here I have a list of all the admirals from Bavaria, in command of ships connected with Bavaria or admirals listed with "BLM3J 05" in the excel table (listed with their final ranks and award dates of the "BLM3J 05"):

- Admiralarzt Dr. med. Karl Eyerich: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Konteradmiral Hans Feldbaush: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Char. Marineobergeneralarzt Dr. med. Josef Freymadl: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Char. Konteradmiral Albert Gayer: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (born in Mannheim, that's not in Bavaria? no other connections with Bavaria in terms of ships or commands held)

- Char. Admiral Gerhard Gerdes: "BLM3J 05" (6 May 1912) (born in Fedderwarden, Ostfriesland. On 6 May 1912 Director of the Weapons-Department, Imperial Naval Office)

- Konteradmiral Max Hahn: "BLM3J 05" (13 June 1912) (Commandant of the Battleship "Wittelsbach" in 1912)

- Admiral Franz Ritter von Hipper: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Char. Konteradmiral Otto Kranzbühler: "BLM3J 05" (11 January 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Vizeadmiral Ernst Ritter von Mann Edler von Tiechler: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Generaladmiral Wilhelm Marschall: "BLM3J 05" (13 May 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. Med. Sigmund Moosauer: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Admiral Georg Alexander von Müller: "BLM3J 05" (12 March 1913) (At the time Chief of the Imperial Naval Cabinet)

- Char. Marinegeneralstabsarzt Dr. med. Friedrich Pinggera: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Vizeadmiral Herwarth Schmidt von Schwind: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (born in Eschberg, Saar. At the time Director of the Naval School in Kiel)

- Char. Vizeadmiral Karl Seiferling: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Vizeadmiral Kurt Slevogt: "BLM3J 05" (12 April 1913) (Bavarian native)

- Vizeadmiral Maximilian Graf von Spee: "BLM3J 05" (10 November 1908) (Commandant of the Battleship "Wittelsbach" in 1908)

- Großadmiral Alfred von Tirpitz: "BLM3J 05" (12 March 1912) (State Secretary of the Imperial Naval Office)

In addition (not listed in the excel table):

- Char. Konteradmiral Waldemar Hirth: Bavarian Jubilee Medal (1905 or 1911) from photographic evidence (born in Shanghai, China, died in München. Unknown if he is a Bavarian native. Entered service in the Navy in 1903, eligible for both 1905 and 1911 Jubilee medals)

- Char. Konteradmiral Heinrich Gebhardt: photographic evidence of possibly both the Jubilee Medal (1905 or 1911) and Bavarian Wedding Anniversary Commemorative Medal (Bavarian native) (Entered the Navy in 1904)

- Char. Admiralarzt Dr. med. Emil Krauss: Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold Medal in Bronze (1911) (Bavarian native. Entered the Navy in 1910)

- Ministerialdirigent Friedrich Schaller: Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold Medal in Bronze  (1911) (Bavarian native. Entered the Navy in 1906)

- Konteradmiral Heinrich Wagner: Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold Medal in Bronze  (1911) (Bavarian native. Entered the Royal Bavarian Army with the 21st Bavarian Infantry-Regiment in 1906. Transferred to Naval Service as a Seekadett on the School-Ship 'Stein' in 1907)

- Admiraloberstabsarzt Prof. Dr. Med. Alfred Fikentscher: Bavarian Prince Regent Luitpold Medal in Bronze (1911) (Bavarian native. Entered the Army as a One-Year-Volunteer with the Infantry-Leib-Regiment of the Royal Bavarian Army (01 April 1910))

Were One Year Volunteers in the Bavarian Army eligible for the Jubilee medals?

Please help me determine if all the admirals listed here were eligible for the Jubilee medal from 1905 or Prince Regent Luitpold Medal from 1911.

Thanks