Hauptmann

Italy - My WWI Italian medals

Hi all,

Only two for now I'm afraid as that's all I have so far. But have wanted to post them for some time so here they are.

War Cross:

[attachmentid=55651]

[attachmentid=55652]

War Medal:

[attachmentid=55653]

[attachmentid=55654]

I used to have three cased Orders of the Crown, one being a neck order. But those went in trade... one of the items I received was my 1870 2nd Class Iron Cross. I see the Orders of the Crown quite often... but not the 1870's. I think I did the right thing... although I would love more of those Crown Orders eventually as they are quite nice, especially cased.

Dan :cheers:

anyone else have any WW1 Italian medals... i am thinking of a new side line and need some education :-)

Hi, there are two of the most common italian medal, awarded in million pieces. But have a great significate for who take them at the time.

There are many books (only in italian, i know) that speaks about official italian medal. If you have some question I'll try to explain in my poor english :(

IP

Hi, there are two of the most common italian medal, awarded in million pieces. But have a great significate for who take them at the time.

There are many books (only in italian, i know) that speaks about official italian medal. If you have some question I'll try to explain in my poor english :(

IP

I'm interested in seeing the many WW1 Italian medals and orders. I have a very nice Bravey Medal in Silver named. I'll find my photos to post for you.

I'm interested in seeing the many WW1 Italian medals and orders. I have a very nice Bravey Medal in Silver named. I'll find my photos to post for you.

Hi, I'll try to post the medals in next day.

IP

Here mine. I had the bio of the man but can't find it. Does anyone have a book listing the men who were awarded this medal?

Here mine. I had the bio of the man but can't find it. Does anyone have a book listing the men who were awarded this medal?

Hi Very nice medal. Do you know the city where born Giovanni Zanel. Is it possible to post your picture (or only the name) on an italian forum for having notice about him? (If not there ibsn't problem, I don't post anything of course)

IP

anyone else have any WW1 Italian medals... i am thinking of a new side line and need some education :-)

Based upon our earlier conversation, Chris, I couldn't resist resurrecting this old thread! So, how many Italian medals you need to unload now? :whistle:

Here's another of mine...(unfortunately someone put a thumbtack through the original silk ribbon). This medal commemorates Italy receiving the Trentino and Trieste after World War 1 - thus, continuing the "unification" of Italy.

Medaglia commemorativa dell'Unità d'Italia 1848-1918

Edited by IrishGunner

Hi. There tons of Italian medals about WW1.

The most common are the four that any soldier received: Commemorative medal (with bars for each year 1915-1920. Not 1918, some fightings continued in the Balcans), Interallied, Unifying of Italy, War cross.

Out of these 4, all the Armies had their unofficial ones, which were quasi-official. Here I propose some:

Cross of the first Army:

210.jpg

and its diploma:

686.jpg

Cross of the first Army:

This is a very nice cross with the ibex...(alpine mountain goat)

800px-AlpineIbex.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner

Here is the cross for the third Army, the very first to be given (1918), officially awarded by the Duke of Aosta who was the commander of the army

162.jpg

Edited by claudio2574

There are also medals for the armies, the great units, almost every command created its own. 1st army medal, bronze and silver:

406.jpg

226.jpg

Honor medal to the Army (all'Esercito e all'Armata, I don't know how to translate) and its diploma. The worn-out aspect of the medal was choosen by design.

296.jpg

286.jpg

An example of machine-guns medals, in silver. This one was for the FIAT machine-guns, having the white-over-red ribbon. The Breda machine-guns had a white-over-blue ribbon. The white/red ribbon remained during WW2 also, regardless of the type.

52.jpg

I don't know if there is anyone around still reading this topic... anyway...

Now I introduce a different set of medals: omens of victory.

The first one came from the Vatican, more precisely from the font. It's a small medal made in 1915

594.jpg

In 1917 some "committees" from Rome and Turin created this diploma and a medal based on a Roman Empire coin, to be given to the officers of the 4th army. The medal was struck by the Royal mint, it is a repro of the coin created by the Roman emperor Tiberio to celebrate the victory of his commander Germanico against Arminio

741.jpg

740.jpg

Edited by claudio2574

Here is a little grouping I found last week while travelling in Ohio.

20191209_093309.jpg

20191209_093403.jpg